Freescan 0.9J Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenJJ

I wonder if anyone has loaded up the new Freescan 0.9J and had problems with the control scanner function?
When I hit the "start virtual control" button, no matter what my 396XT is currently scanning, 0.9J puts a hold on a certain frequency (145.110), and it will not scan until I take the temporary hold off of 145.110. Once I take the hold off, it proceeds to scan normally from virtual control.

Previously with 0.9H, I could be scanning the emergency services frequencies, start virtual control, and virtual control would continue scanning the emergency services frequencies. Now it always starts off with the a hold on the local 2m repeater frequency.

Anyone have this problem, and figured a way to fix it?

cpuerror

It's actually a feature, not a problem. When you connect, FreeSCAN turns off the control channel output mode as this mode tends to cause all kinds of problems. As a sideeffect though, the scanner gets put in hold mode, and not much can be done about that it's just the way the scanner operates. Now you can go under preferences and turn off this check, and it will act like it did in .9H, but if you do turn on CCO in the future though you might have some problems.

BenJJ

Freescan Feature

Interesting it is a feature of Freescan. I must of had that feature "off" for all the many versions of Freescan that I uploaded over the years. I didn't notice any problems because of it, though.

Well, I'll give it a try and turn off that feature, and see it anything changes.

BenJJ

It's actually a feature, not a problem. When you connect, FreeSCAN turns off the control channel output mode as this mode tends to cause all kinds of problems. As a sideeffect though, the scanner gets put in hold mode, and not much can be done about that it's just the way the scanner operates. Now you can go under preferences and turn off this check, and it will act like it did in .9H, but if you do turn on CCO in the future though you might have some problems.

Thanks for you help; Now it works as before!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Interesting it is a feature of Freescan. I must of had that feature "off" for all the many versions of Freescan that I uploaded over the years. I didn't notice any problems because of it, though.

Well, I'll give it a try and turn off that feature, and see it anything changes.

It was a feature added in version J (coincidentally enough ;) ) after I brought up the point that running virtual control with the scanner still set to deliver control channel data really confuses virtual control badly. In order to turn off CC output, the scanner has to be put into program mode - which means the existing scan or hold mode has to be stopped, the scanner put in program mode to turn off CC output, then taken out of program mode to go back to normal operation. Assaf (the programmer) has chosen to put the scanner holding on the first frequency in the first group in the first system assigned to system quick key 1.

cpuerror

Actually, if I had a choice in the manner, I would just let it resume what it was doing before. The whole go back for Chan 1 deal is just the way the scanner wants to work. I don't have any way of determining its precise state and restoring it after returning from programming. But it is the lesser of two evils, the alternative is just to let all the problems with CCO mode enabled remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.