FreeSCAN 2.17 Out with FreeSCAN for iOS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpuerror

Whats New
-----------------------
-New: Added network streaming for compatibility with iOS
-Fixed: Slight inaccuracy in GPS range setting with conventional groups on upload to XT scanners
-Fixed: GPS Editing not showing circle radius
-Fixed: GPS System plotter is working again

This new version supports linking with FreeSCAN for iOS, which allows you to control your scanner with your iPhone. You can access this by opening up Virtual Control, and selecting the Remote Control menu than Setup. Configure the operating parameters and click Start Server. Note that FS must be run as an administrator to open the port. As well, you will need to configure your computer's firewall to allow incoming connections to FreeSCAN on the port you select (default is port 1300).

More instructions and detailed how-tos coming soon, in the meantime the new version can be downloaded from:

https://sites.google.com/site/sixspotsoftware/downloads

FreeSCAN for iOS available on the App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=844590973&mt=8

Please note that, as of this writing, it may take up to 24 hours before FS for iOS appears on the App Store for all markets.

Cheers

Steve2003

Great work on the App!

The built-in audio was a bit buggy and had a significant delay on my local network. I ended up using Zello for my audio (the free walkie-talkie app/program). With this setup the audio near real-time with the display in the app.

I love not being chained to my scanner/pc when I want to listen (and control) my scanner.

Well done!

EDIT: makes my BCD536HP now feel ancient!

-Steve

frazpo

Great work on the App!

The built-in audio was a bit buggy and had a significant delay on my local network. I ended up using Zello for my audio (the free walkie-talkie app/program). With this setup the audio near real-time with the display in the app.

I love not being chained to my scanner/pc when I want to listen (and control) my scanner.

Well done!

EDIT: makes my BCD536HP now feel ancient!

-Steve

So Zello created a delay? My display 5 seconds behind audio on home network.

cpuerror

Theres always going to be a small delay because of buffering. It's a trade off between preventing audio interruptions and delay. The software providing the streaming sometimes also adds a delay, but I think with ScannerCast it's a few seconds at the most.

frazpo

im dealing with a solid 10 second delay. Using scannercast on local network. I underestimated my earlier estimate. I did a count between button presses and listened for the beep from the scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. There will misspellings!

cpuerror

You might be able to cut down the lag time by increasing the bitrate in ScannerCast. The buffers will fill up faster so there will be less delay.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
This appears to be a very promising app! I've done some tinkering, but still haven't got around all the bases. Hopefully the "how-tos" will be the ultimate answer. Videos would be great!

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
This appears to be a very promising app! I've done some tinkering, but still haven't got around all the bases. Hopefully the "how-tos" will be the ultimate answer. Videos would be great!

I second that!

frazpo

Nice app

I am really enjoying having access to what I want to hear on my own scanner. I am down to about 5-7 second lag. If anyone has any more ideas on how do decrease that please let me know. I have noticed that at times on the first connect the audio wont load. Once I reconnect it loads audio. Other than that I am really enjoying it. Good work.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm having a challenge making the connection. I see two addresses for what FreeScan is listening on. One is fe80:941 etc., the other is 192.168 etc. However when I to a "what is my IP address, I get something starting with 172. Which of those should I use in the configuration?

Thanks!

frazpo

On internal network it should be 192.168.*.* or something similar. The 172 is probably the beginning of your ISP issued IP address. If you are going to just listen on your internal home network then you need to the 192 address. Don forget to fwd the port number. Default is 1300 I believe.

cpuerror

If you are just operating in the local network, use the 192. If you want to access your scanner over the internet, use the 172 and setup the port forwarding on your router.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
Error

I keep getting either an Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow error or an overflow error. Any thoughts?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you are just operating in the local network, use the 192. If you want to access your scanner over the internet, use the 172 and setup the port forwarding on your router.

I tried them both with no luck. I know my limitations and need to get someone a lot smarter than me to look at this, because I haven't got a clue when it comes for "port following" stuff.

At any rate, thanks for the info!

cpuerror

I tried them both with no luck. I know my limitations and need to get someone a lot smarter than me to look at this, because I haven't got a clue when it comes for "port following" stuff.

At any rate, thanks for the info!

You need to enable windows firewall to forward traffic on that port. You can try temporarily disabling as well just to see if it is causing your problem.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
I have it all hooked up and on, start virtual control and the remote control and the errors begin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
OK, I got rid of the error messages. Now I just can figure out all the server, port, forwarding, and whatever to get it to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.