Freescan: FreeScan 2.18-beta6 and BCD996P2 "Unhandled Exception"

Status
Not open for further replies.

massenbg

Premium Subscriber
I've used FreeScan for a few years now, but my favorite PD went digital in Feb 2016. Finally broke down and upgraded my BCT15X to a BCD996P2. (Not ready yet for the Home Patrol thing.) Downloaded the RR database for my area, and within a few minutes was bringing in lots of digital traffic. Life was good, up to the point that my FreeScan 2.18-beta6 app began showing errors. The error box label is "0.0000MHz" and the body is "Unhandled exception has ocurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately." Clicking 'Continue' will only last about ten seconds until it repeats. After four or five clicks, FreeScan ceases to log calls or record. The error box includes a Details dropdown, and I have captured a 6KB sized text file of details. Computer is a Win10-64 bit with an Intel chip, plenty of RAM, and a nice graphics card. The latest build of FreeScan was made to include the 325P2 and 996P2, I believe.

Has anyone else come across this error? Any interest in viewing the error log? Thank you for your help.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Try this:
In Freescan, click on the Tools tab up top.
click on Automatic scanner optimizer,
click on "Remove Invalids"
Sounds like you have some invalid empty talkgroups or empty frequency assignments. While you are there you can do some of the other optimizing options there just for shoots and giggles.
Bob

marksmith

Agree. The radio cannot accept a record programmed for frequency zero, but it sounds like you have some. You just need to clean up the data as indicated in the previous post.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

massenbg

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions. I did run the Automatic Scanner Optimizer under Tools, made some corrections and now have all 'green' for duplicate freqs, inefficient systems & sites, and invalid channels. Did a manual check of all freqs, but found no 'zeros'. Reloaded the scanner using the option "Erase All Systems & Settings" rather than "Replace any existing system by the same name, add remaining". Had one error on upload, and that was "unable to set WX". Started Virtual Control once again, but 30 seconds later an error box popped up, labeled "BCD996P2-653". Remainder of the verbiage "Unhandled exception..." was the same as before.

Still stuck but do appreciate the suggestions.

massenbg

Premium Subscriber
Pared my list down to 10 systems (9 groups), but the error still recurs. Shut the scanner off, rebooted, brought everything back up, but no change. There's got to be another gremlin in there I'm overlooking.

kmi8dy

are you forgetting to go to " tools " and clicking on system quick key manager then clicking on " none " then clicking on the correct quick key number assigned, then click " done " just before you click on scanner, and up load.

massenbg

Premium Subscriber
Out of the nine groups, two of them have 20 sites, two have 19, and a lesser amount for the remainder. I did go to "tools" and set that correctly before clicking "done" and reloading. When I reload, I select "Erase All Systems & Settings". My 996P2 firmware came with 1.06.00, which is the latest that Uniden shows. I was scanning through two trunked systems, but deleted one in my efforts to troubleshoot. Still gives me constant errors, a few seconds apart.

marksmith

The only error you should get is the wx error if all data is ok, and selecting the options to delete all data/settings on radio when you upload to it is recommended.

Clicking on the errors to see what record it is usually helps define the issue. Are these downloaded systems, or those entered by you?

I generally enter mine and have not run into the errors you describe.

Mark

massenbg

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Mark. Yes, the only error I see after uploading is WX. These systems were downloaded from the RR database. I may have my son have a go at making some manual entries. He's into that sort of thing. I also ordered a 325P2 this afternoon, so I'll soon have a second radio to determine if the FreeScan error repeats itself.

marksmith

Thanks, Mark. Yes, the only error I see after uploading is WX. These systems were downloaded from the RR database. I may have my son have a go at making some manual entries. He's into that sort of thing. I also ordered a 325P2 this afternoon, so I'll soon have a second radio to determine if the FreeScan error repeats itself.
I have two 396XT radios, a 996xt, 996p2, 325p2 and a 15x that I use the same Freescan file for, and write to all these radios. All radios have systems and quick keys the same, making it easy to run any of these radios. You will like this feature about Freescan.

I get no errors on any of the radios except the p2 radios with version 2.18, which both give me the same one wx error. This is the first version of Freescan to support the 325p2 and 996p2. I expect over time the wx error will be fixed.

Although I have membership at RR, I do all my data entry manually to the Freescan software, setting up departments, groups, talkgroups, etc as I desire.

Mark

kmi8dy

massenbg, i had completely forgot to tell you this, go to www.youtube.com and type in " programming police scanners with free scan software." there are several vids on how to. its the way i learned. very easy. good luck.

massenbg

Premium Subscriber
Well, it appears my errors have disappeared, but not quite sure what the fix was. Received my 325P2 and went to RR and downloaded a single P25 system for my area. Had 24 groups, which I whittled down to 20. Locked out the majority of them as I wasn't going to scan those right away. (Also updated firmware from 1.03.01 to 1.06.00) Used FreeScan to take virtual control of the radio, and no errors. So far, so good. Then I did a full reset of the 996P2 (press 2, 9, and HOLD while turning it on) and uploaded the same load as the 325P2. Wonder of wonders, no error messages after 24 hours of recording and logging under virtual control. Feel much better now. Thank you all for your input and recommendations. I will continue to experiment in order to learn more now that I know my fallback plan works.

Status
Not open for further replies.