Freescan bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mciupa

I have noticed when downloading frequencies using Freescan that contain "alpha's" in their hexidecimal NAC that the alpha characters are ignored.

A good example is from Monroe County NY, download the Law Enforcement category into your scanner and compare the NAC codes from your scanner to the database.
Monroe County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Now what does your scanner show for NAC tones?

When I did this any A,B,C...etc was omitted. If the NAC was ACE or FAA it was downloaded as NAC:0, Only numerals seemed to get downloaded.

I don't know if I have overlooked something in the software, I just corrected it by hand.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I tested the latest versions of three different software packages against the Monroe County Law Enforcement P25 channels: FreeSCAN 2.10, ARC-XT Pro 1.7 Build 4 and Win500 2.06

The bug exists in both FreeSCAN and ARC-XT Pro. Only Win500 downloaded the NAC's correctly.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As a great work-around, FreeScan's EZ-Scan does not have this issue. When you map the NAC, make sure you specify it as a NAC-HEX

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This bug should be reported on the FreeScan forum - it's important to note that it seems to be a problem with how the data is being imported on the web service, and that EZ Scan apparently handles it correctly

Mike

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As a great work-around, FreeScan's EZ-Scan does not have this issue. When you map the NAC, make sure you specify it as a NAC-HEX

Mike

This bug should be reported on the FreeScan forum - it's important to note that it seems to be a problem with how the data is being imported on the web service, and that EZ Scan apparently handles it correctly

Mike

EZ Scan is the GRE software. I believe you're referring to FreeSCAN's EZ-Grab function.

I will report this bug to Gommert, as it also seems to affect the Butel software.

N8DAD

Feed Provider
FREESCAN and NAC

what does the NAC number do exactly and do i need to enter it into my 996XT some how i see were others are saying some software isnt puttin the NAC in.. i guess im just a bit lost and need some helpful info
sorry for the dumb question
what is NAC for and do i need it entered

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For P25 conventional frequencies, the NAC serves the same purpose as a DCS or DPL on an analog conventional frequency. Here's our definition from our wiki-based glossary

NAC - The RadioReference Wiki

So if you have a P25 conventional freq that's shared by many users, putting in a NAC will limit what you hear to just that user that uses that particular code.

HTH...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.