Freescan Consolidation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCarnage

When importing from RR, is there a way to consolidate sites? My goal, for importing Fleetnet in Ontario Canada is i am going to have 10 Towers set up as individua Systems and the remaining towers, which i rarely frequent, in an 11th System (all the frequencies for all other towers in the same system). If i were to make each tower a system, the repetition of loading up the Groups for each system uses up almost all the memory.

Any tips or tricks on how to achieve this would be great, else i guess i could use the EZ Grab?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you are using a XT scanner, why can't you set up different sites using multi site trunking? I'll bet someone in the Eastern Canada forum (or the ScanOnt Yahoo group) can point you in the right direction here...would you really need all 10 towers? Do you travel with this scanner? 73 Mike

Last edited:

MetalCarnage

If you are using a XT scanner, why can't you set up different sites using multi site trunking? I'll bet someone in the Eastern Canada forum (or the ScanOnt Yahoo group) can point you in the right direction here...would you really need all 10 towers? Do you travel with this scanner? 73 Mike

I have a 396, the only way to have all the Groups for each system is for them to be loaded on for each individual system, i dont believe there is a way to share a group over multiple sites.

This scanner goes in my car, i am a project estimator for an engineer/construction contractor so i drive all over southern and central ontario, meaning i probably hit about 15-20 towers when i drive out to certain areas, so in fact i really need MORE than the 10 towers, but since i dont have a regular out of town route, for the out of town towers i just want to clump them all together to save memory

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hmm..whether you use the RR import or EZ Grab is not going to make a difference - you will still run into the memory issues. Like I suggested earlier, perhaps a question on ScanOnt or on our Eastern Canada forum will bring some results....73 Mike

MetalCarnage

Hmm..whether you use the RR import or EZ Grab is not going to make a difference - you will still run into the memory issues. Like I suggested earlier, perhaps a question on ScanOnt or on our Eastern Canada forum will bring some results....73 Mike

Actually, if i put all the control towers into one site it removes the memory problem all together, which is what i am trying to achieve, you dont use much memory up when u arent repeating Groups 20-30 time over

I mainly put it here since i was hoping the maker himself of Freescan would drop by, lol

cpuerror

Well as Mike said using EZ Grab isn't going to solve the main problem, the 396T doesn't do multisite. Now there is one way to get around this but it's not perfect. You can create a special site that has all, and only, control channels in it. That way as you drive around, whatever control channel the scanner will find it will lock on to.

The disadvantage of doing this however is that if your scanner can pick up more then one CC at any given time, you will end up missing traffic because it will lock onto the first CC it finds and not scan the remaining ones which may be active as well.

Actually, if i put all the control towers into one site it removes the memory problem all together, which is what i am trying to achieve, you dont use much memory up when u arent repeating Groups 20-30 time over

I mainly put it here since i was hoping the maker himself of Freescan would drop by, lol

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Of course, if you upgrade to a 996T, 396XT or 996XT, since those do multi-site, you shouldn't have any trouble....73 Mike

MetalCarnage

Now there is one way to get around this but it's not perfect. You can create a special site that has all, and only, control channels in it.

That is what i was referring to in the post you quoted, lol, i was specifically asking if there was a way to do this without using EZ-Grab, like could i download all control channels into one site

cpuerror

No you pretty much have to do it manually. But there are only about 20 frequencies you have to do.

That is what i was referring to in the post you quoted, lol, i was specifically asking if there was a way to do this without using EZ-Grab, like could i download all control channels into one site

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
By manual, I am pretty sure you don't mean by hand on the keypad. Use the UASD software from Uniden (free for owners of 396T/996T radios). Since the files are all in ASCII text, you can even edit them directly with Notepad or other text based editor. In other words, use FreeSCAN (or whatever) to get the systems out of RR, load what you can into the radio and then download from the radio into UASD where you do what you want.

cpuerror

He doesn't quite have to do all that. He just has to add a new site in FS, and type in the frequencies manually. Though I can understand how the word 'manually' can be interpreted as going through the front panel, but its not quite what I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.