FreeSCAN for iOS, the official thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpuerror

Hey everyone,
This project has been a long time in the making but is finally almost ready. It just needs to be approved by Apple's app store (shouldn't be much longer....)

What is it:
This is a remote control app for your Uniden DMA scanner. Compatible with iPhone/iPod with iOS 5.1 and higher. It will operate on an iPad but not in native mode.

How it works:
Connect your scanner to FreeSCAN and start virtual control. Enable remote access (will be available in version 2.17). Then tell the app your computer's IP address and control your scanner. You can have several sessions going on concurrently and can view and manipulate your scanner. Access can be set for open to the world or by username/password combo. You can use it to remote control any scanner that FreeSCAN controls. If you have multiple scanners, you can start up multiple sessions of FreeSCAN and assign them different network ports.

More detailed instructions will be made available, including controlling your scanner remotely over the internet in short time.

Streaming Audio
The app will stream audio when used in conjuction with something like Scannercast running on the host PC.

Performance
I have used this on a 3G connection and it works reasonably well without too much lag. It's not quite the same as sitting in front of your scanner and I wouldn't suggest programming a system into the scanner using the app but for many common control functions it's fluid and easy to use.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,853

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Wow, that is AWESOME! The scanner community really is lucky to have you.

Not to get greedy but I'm actually more of an Android kinda person. Do you think you'll ever support that platform with a similar app?

cpuerror

Wow, that is AWESOME! The scanner community really is lucky to have you.

Not to get greedy but I'm actually more of an Android kinda person. Do you think you'll ever support that platform with a similar app?

I don't know if I will ever get the time to learn a new platform. However what may come in the future is a HTML based app that can work on any device.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Very nice job! I know this is something you have been working on for a while. How actually will the app stream? Would you input an IP of the feed in the App?

cpuerror

Very nice job! I know this is something you have been working on for a while. How actually will the app stream? Would you input an IP of the feed in the App?

Yes, just enter it into the setup screen. You can store multiple profiles.

Attachments

• IMG_0988[1].jpg
    IMG_0988[1].jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2,717

y84media

Host PC. So scanner is connected to a Wintel PC (I assume this is not available for OS X), then I connect the app on my iPhone to the host PC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yaesumofo

I am disappointed that streaming audio is NOT a native feature. Adding a PC to the mix is barley a step forward.
Uniden does these things in half measures all the time.
Another pair of examples is the fact that Uniden chooses to not install a GPS chip (which are very small and VERY inexpensive) and an important part of a radio that benefits from knowing where it is, same thing with wifi...BUILD IT IN!!!

WE will pay more for real built in features.

One inexpensive and solid solution will be to use a Raspberry Pi as the "PC" end of a streaming solution.
Adding a "PC" can add a couple hundred $$ to a streaming setup.
a Pi is well under $100. and small.

I have visions of setting up a radio in the attic being able to control and monitor from anywhere on the planet.
One way or another I will be able to do this!!

I glad we are one step closer to control and monitoring ...

Yaesumofo

yaesumofo

I am disappointed that streaming audio is NOT a native feature. Adding a PC to the mix is barley a step forward.
Uniden does these things in half measures all the time.
Another pair of examples is the fact that Uniden chooses to not install a GPS chip (which are very small and VERY inexpensive) and an important part of a radio that benefits from knowing where it is, same thing with wifi...BUILD IT IN!!!

WE will pay more for real built in features.

One inexpensive and solid solution will be to use a Raspberry Pi as the "PC" end of a streaming solution.
Adding a "PC" can add a couple hundred $$ to a streaming setup.
a Pi is well under $100. and small.

I have visions of setting up a radio in the attic being able to control and monitor from anywhere on the planet.
One way or another I will be able to do this!!

I glad we are one step closer to control and monitoring ...

Yaesumofo

Just to clarify. I was not referring to freescan when talking about what UNIDEN is up to.
I am very happy to see effort going into these apps. I can't wait to get this up and running.
I plan on building a rPi setup for my attic and scanner.
Keep up the hard work!!
Yaesumofo

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Any chance you'll be releasing the remote control protocol along with v2.17 so that others could write an HTML app for PC/Android use?

Andy

cpuerror

Just to clarify. I was not referring to freescan when talking about what UNIDEN is up to.
I am very happy to see effort going into these apps. I can't wait to get this up and running.
I plan on building a rPi setup for my attic and scanner.
Keep up the hard work!!
Yaesumofo

Figured you meant that. The app will have native audio streaming, just the host PC needs something like ScannerCast running on it. (Didn't feel like reinventing the wheel when ScannerCast already does the job.)

cpuerror

Any chance you'll be releasing the remote control protocol along with v2.17 so that others could write an HTML app for PC/Android use?

Andy

Yeah, the protocol is very simple but it might change from version to version as new features are added.

XTS3000

Works like a champ. Aside from the audio delay from scanner cast, this app controls the XT scanners great.

Thanks for taking the time and writing an app to control our Uniden's.

I'm using TuneIn Radio to listen to my audio stream only because FreeScan for iOS doesn't keep screen and audio running when you close the freescan app. TuneIn Radio supports audio running in the background.

FreeSCAN + TuneIn Radio = awesum personal scanner streaming system!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.