Freescan question with BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillB

I'm sure the title doesn't make much sense so I'll try and clear it up. One of the channels I have programmed in picks up 2 different counties. The frequency is programmed for a county fire dispatch but it is also picking up some other counties PD dispatch. I programmed in the PL code and now the reception isn't as good as when I didn't have the PL code. When they are speaking on the channel it will cut out for some reason. Anything I can do to stop this other then not putting in the PL code?

wise871

Database Admin
I had a similar problem with one of my local fire channels. They were using 154.160 and they would cut out sometimes when I had the tones entered. I changed my modulation from auto to FM and that fix my problem. I uses the normal rule of thumb, I set my VHF public safety to FM and my UHF PS to NFM. See if that solves your issue.

scanpprcn

Premium Subscriber
Will, is there any chance you have "negative delay" (forced resume) set? That feature will force the scanner to continue scanning after a selectable 2, 5, 10 seconds.

Are you programming through the front panel or with a software tool?

Another thought, if the other county's PD dispatch is "FM-capturing" the frequency (talking over the fire dispatch) then it could blank out the 15X's ability to determine that the correct PL code is present and would also do what you are saying.

What happens if you just HOLD (don't SCAN) on the county fire frequency? Does the audio drop? Can you see the signal strength bars when this happens?

WillB

I had a similar problem with one of my local fire channels. They were using 154.160 and they would cut out sometimes when I had the tones entered. I changed my modulation from auto to FM and that fix my problem. I uses the normal rule of thumb, I set my VHF public safety to FM and my UHF PS to NFM. See if that solves your issue.

I will try this and see what happens

Will, is there any chance you have "negative delay" (forced resume) set? That feature will force the scanner to continue scanning after a selectable 2, 5, 10 seconds.

Not that I am aware of unless it is set like that from the factory

Are you programming through the front panel or with a software tool?

I used freescan to first program it in but I set the PL code using the front panel.

Another thought, if the other county's PD dispatch is "FM-capturing" the frequency (talking over the fire dispatch) then it could blank out the 15X's ability to determine that the correct PL code is present and would also do what you are saying.

What happens if you just HOLD (don't SCAN) on the county fire frequency? Does the audio drop? Can you see the signal strength bars when this happens?

I caught it a little last night and the strength bars would drop to nothing when the sound would drop out.

WillB

Can some one explain the "Hold" and "Delay" options in Freescan for me? I'm having a problem with my scanner where it will cut out when say a FD gets toned out. I had this problem once and I fixed it by adjusting one of these two settings. Well some how I managed to mess it up again and can't remember which one I adjusted to get it to stop.

Bucko

Using a high number on that hold will make your scanning a lot slower, myself I set the hold to zero and delay 2 to 3 sec.

WillB

Well that didn't seem to fix what ever it is I messed up. I've tried it with several different combinations of the hold and delay settings and it still skips out on channels with PL codes. I was messing with the priority scan setting when it happened. Thought I had it reset but I didn't I guess. Any thoughts?

WillB

Well some how I managed to do it again and can't figure out how I fixed it the last time. Any suggestions?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Will, you have 2 threads about your radio cutting out. Like the op said, in the other thread, try setting VHF freqs to FM and UHF freqs NFM. See if that solves your issue. If you are manually held on this fire channel, and you have the pl code in, what happens? I mean does it only cut out while scanning, when locked on that freq, or both? Make sure you don't have Close Call enabled.

You also stated your using freescan. Are you downloading the changes to the hold time and the delay time to the radio or just changing it in freescan? I ask because unless freescan for your scanner is different than mine, you have to download scanners settings to the radio for them to take effect..

Vhf is 30 MHz to 328.6 MHz
Uhf is 328.6 MHz to 2.9 GHz

source
Radio Spectrum

Last edited:

WillB

Will, you have 2 threads about your radio cutting out. Like the op said, in the other thread, try setting VHF freqs to FM and UHF freqs NFM. See if that solves your issue. If you are manually held on this fire channel, and you have the pl code in, what happens? I mean does it only cut out while scanning, when locked on that freq, or both? Make sure you don't have Close Call enabled.

You also stated your using freescan. Are you downloading the changes to the hold time and the delay time to the radio or just changing it in freescan? I ask because unless freescan for your scanner is different than mine, you have to download scanners settings to the radio for them to take effect..

Vhf is 30 MHz to 328.6 MHz
Uhf is 328.6 MHz to 2.9 GHz

source
Radio Spectrum

I tired setting setting the VHF channels to FM and it still does it. Doesn't matter if it is on hold or scanning it will do the same thing. I will check to make sure that Close Call isn't on.

I was making the changes with Freescan and then uploading them to the scanner, but I have been adjusting them the last couple times trying different options with the hold and delay buttons through the front panel.

Sorry about the 2 threads thing.

WillB

Close call is off. Also I noticed that there is an arrow on the right side of the display that points up. I don't remember if that was there before it started doing this or not.

Last edited:

W6KRU

Close call is off. Also I noticed that there is an arrow on the right side of the display that points up. I don't remember if that was there before it started doing this or not.

That is the scan direction indicator. If you turn your scroll control counter clockwise while scanning, it will change to a down arrow.

WillB

Ok that makes sense. I went tried to completely restart the scanner and upload programming that I had saved a while ago thinking that would help with the audio skip/drop out thing on channels with PL codes and it hasn't made a difference. I guess you have to be a rocket scientist to program these things.:mad:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If you loaded the scanner up with older programming that was working and now its not, there may be an issue with the scanner. But it could also be the software. I'm not telling you what to do by any means and don't want to be responsible if it did not work, but if it were my scanner, I would delete all systems and reset it back to all original factory settings. Then I would ditch my freescan files and start from scratch.

I would re-download the systems I want into freescan and customize it to my liking. Then I would upload everything to the scanner. Its either the scanner or the software.

I am having an issue with freescan right now and waiting for Assaf to get back to me. If you think it might be the software, you could try another program. In my case, I suspected freescan was the problem. I have Butel arc330pro as well as bctool. The problem I am having does not occur with those. So I have my issue narrowed down to the freescan.

There is also lots of settings to play with in this software. Never change to much at once. Get up and running with your basic conventional freqs. If all is good, then add your trunked systems. Once thats all done and working, set up close call or fire tone out. My point is when you make a bunch of changes, its hard to pin point the problem when it arises...

WillB

If you loaded the scanner up with older programming that was working and now its not, there may be an issue with the scanner. But it could also be the software. I'm not telling you what to do by any means and don't want to be responsible if it did not work, but if it were my scanner, I would delete all systems and reset it back to all original factory settings. Then I would ditch my freescan files and start from scratch.

I would re-download the systems I want into freescan and customize it to my liking. Then I would upload everything to the scanner. Its either the scanner or the software.

I am having an issue with freescan right now and waiting for Assaf to get back to me. If you think it might be the software, you could try another program. In my case, I suspected freescan was the problem. I have Butel arc330pro as well as bctool. The problem I am having does not occur with those. So I have my issue narrowed down to the freescan.

There is also lots of settings to play with in this software. Never change to much at once. Get up and running with your basic conventional freqs. If all is good, then add your trunked systems. Once thats all done and working, set up close call or fire tone out. My point is when you make a bunch of changes, its hard to pin point the problem when it arises...

I just downloaded the newest version of Freescan tonight. I guess I will try to reset it as much as I don't want to. I emailed Uniden customer support yesterday about it but I haven't heard anything back.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Will, FreeScan has its own support forums. Might I suggest you ask there, if you think there's a bug. Assaf is a bit behind due to work issues (according to a post), but he does try to answer questions and address bugs when he can...Mike

WillB

Will, FreeScan has its own support forums. Might I suggest you ask there, if you think there's a bug. Assaf is a bit behind due to work issues (according to a post), but he does try to answer questions and address bugs when he can...Mike

Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware of a Freescan forum.

I reset the scanner, uploaded a new system etc and it still does it. I can't think that there would be something wrong with the scanner itself. I'm sure it's something stupid that I'm overlooking but it's just frustrating.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Can you post your .996 freescan file and name the system that your having trouble with? Where is Henry County? And How are you getting the info into freescan? Are you a premium subscriber here on radio reference or are you using the ez grab method?

If you can post the freescan file, do not post the one thats saved. Hook up scanner and queue all systems and settings, and download to free scan and save and post that file..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.