Freescan Radio ID tags on 396 and 996

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There is a 500 channel per trunked system limit. A Radio ID is a "channel" for this purpose.

The "% Memory Used" is a little misleading as it pertains to the overall memory of the scanner. While you haven't overtaxed the memory of the scanner, you are attempting to exceed other limitations.

I agree with KMA 371's advice with a little more. If you create duplicate systems, you may wish to put only law enforcement talkgroups and IDs in one with Fire talkgroups and IDs in the other. (If you also have EMS, etc., then additional copies may be advised.

Otherwise, here is what I see happening: The scanner stops on a Talkgroup in System A, but the Radio ID is programmed in System B. The ID won't be displayed because it isn't in the "A" list.

Voyager

That's how I used to separate them to get more UIDs out of the XT - put one service in each system.

novascotian

Okay if I have this correctly, if my total of talk groups and radio ID's entered in for a particular system exceeds 500 I will be in trouble. Our local regional P25 system currently has over 600 talk groups and of course many more than that of radio ID's, and there is a long way to go yet as it is currently expanding into the next jurisdiction. So even without radio ID's, had I chosen to enter all the talk groups I would already have run into problems... sounds like that is the situation. The comments about dividing it all into various services in possibly three different systems, (or more! sound good, and I will see about doing it right away, but hoping there is a way to duplicate without keying much in manually.

This is going beyond the borders of this area of the forum but since I am here, does this mean I can also potentially run into a problem of too many systems. I already have many conventional systems plus this P25 system now in once but with around 28 different sites, and with the CC and Alternate CC in for each. I know that with what you are telling me I need only put some of the talk groups in each of the copies of this one system but the full complement of sites would be ideal in each. Looks like I need to try it all and see what happens!

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
Well do you really need the entire system? Can you hear all 28 sites? Maybe just enter the ones you can hear. Same with all the talkgroups. Do you really anticipate monitoring all of them?

novascotian

When this system first came in it seemed like a good idea to put every site and all the unencrypted talk groups too. I am still interested in having the talk groups, but really I do not need all the sites. I put them in just in case I was mobile anywhere in the region but I can and will eliminate the distant ones, and as well I really need only one in my local area and similar in my surroundings. From home and in the car I can receive several in the city area I am in, and there is no real need to listen to more than one of them, so will pick the busiest.one. Then add maybe four more to get me coverage in the surrounding area that I drive to fairly often. That is out of 100+ sites now in the system and another 100+ coming soon. I will have some figuring to do as I reconfigure using Freescan, but hope that once I put the four or five sites in for one of my service-specific systems, I can just copy those over to the next one. And I assume for now that I can put all of these identical systems on one QK if I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.