Freescan software link down

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaw03

Premium Subscriber
New to this site, expecting my BCD396XT to arrive today. Just wanted to get things ready for programming and whatnot. The link on the sixspotsoftware site appears to be down. I've searched for the software elsewhere with no luck. Does anyone know where else I can download this from? Is this the best software for my scanner/me as a relative newbie to this scanner?

Thanks in advance!

jaw03

Premium Subscriber
I got it, i guess my antivirus/firewall was preventing me from downloading it.

Is this the best software for my application(BCD396XT)?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Is this the best software for my scanner/me as a relative newbie to this scanner?

Thanks in advance!

The "best" software is the one that works best for you. Freescan works well as does Proscan, and ARCxt. The paid software has free trials, so try them all and see which one you are most comfortable with.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No matter which software you choose, you need to understand how to work with DMA scanners - there are no banks as you may know them, and there are a few additional hooks with which you need to be familiar. The Easier to Read guide for the 396xt is available in both download and print form, and is highly recommended. We also have an extensive FAQ for these scanners

You will need a USB-serial cable to connect your PC and scanner. The Connecting scanners via USB article is a good place to start.

Finally we also have the FreeScan user guide, so you can see how to work with the software without even installing it

All of this is found here...

Programming Your Uniden Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Time to start reading...you might also put where you are (county/state is fine) so others in your area can jump in and help - and we also have state forums...

best regards..Mike

jaw03

Premium Subscriber
No matter which software you choose, you need to understand how to work with DMA scanners - there are no banks as you may know them, and there are a few additional hooks with which you need to be familiar. The Easier to Read guide for the 396xt is available in both download and print form, and is highly recommended. We also have an extensive FAQ for these scanners

You will need a USB-serial cable to connect your PC and scanner. The Connecting scanners via USB article is a good place to start.

Finally we also have the FreeScan user guide, so you can see how to work with the software without even installing it

All of this is found here...

Programming Your Uniden Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Time to start reading...you might also put where you are (county/state is fine) so others in your area can jump in and help - and we also have state forums...

best regards..Mike

I definitely appreciate your info, and will be reading over the wiki on the scanner. I bought a serial to USB cable the other day which uses the prolific 2303 chipset. I am hoping it works with a little tweaking. Sorry for the delayed response, as my post's are being approved(newbie).

I know for software it varies from person to person, but I was just wanting to know if the freescan would be the most user friendly in my case?

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
You might not need the USB-Serial cable.
The regular serial cable that comes inside the scanner box still works fine on the Uniden Scanners.
If you can still use it on your computer.

[Your above post should say "You might need a USB-Serial cable .... "]

best regards..Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Many folks avoid older PCs like Superman avoids Kryptonite :.>>

Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I definitely appreciate your info, and will be reading over the wiki on the scanner. I bought a serial to USB cable the other day which uses the prolific 2303 chipset. I am hoping it works with a little tweaking. Sorry for the delayed response, as my post's are being approved(newbie).

I know for software it varies from person to person, but I was just wanting to know if the freescan would be the most user friendly in my case?

Whether something is 'user friendly' is a judgement call, and for my part, mine is clouded since I did a lot of the work on the User Guide. However there have been many other posts that have said that it's more intuitive than some of the other packages out there.

That being said, DMA technology - especially to a newcomer - might be something that might take some time to wrap your mind around. I know it was for me - probably because I was used to thinking in terms of 'banks', which does not exist in the DMA world. Take your time, and don't be too surprised if you make several variations before you're satisfied with what you built. I know it took me 4 or 5 tries to make something I liked...best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.