Freescan to Sentinel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzhead

Hello,

Regarding the new Uniden scanners...I have the last generation (396/996XT's) running with Freescan. I am wondering if anyone has figured out how to program/clone? an older file (396/996XT) into the newer Sentinel software file?

I'm not going to buy a new scanner and then have to sit down and re-program 1000+ memories all over again. It was too much work the first time!

Couldn't seem to find a FAQ on this in the UNIDEN forum, so I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks for any help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Regarding the new Uniden scanners...I have the last generation (396/996XT's) running with Freescan. I am wondering if anyone has figured out how to program/clone? an older file (396/996XT) into the newer Sentinel software file?

I'm not going to buy a new scanner and then have to sit down and re-program 1000+ memories all over again. It was too much work the first time!

Couldn't seem to find a FAQ on this in the UNIDEN forum, so I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks for any help.
See this thread for links to spreadsheets you can use to facilitate copying an pasting talkgroups and/or conventional channels from FreeSCAN into Sentinel.

There are also a number of videos on the scanners overall (see bottom of this page). Among the ones linked by UPMan is one with a short demonstration on creating a Favorites list by appending selected systems from the main RadioReference database in Sentinel. You can quickly add multiple whole systems, then tweak them as needed, deleting or avoiding (locking out) those channels/talkgroups of no interest, adding specific systems or additional frequencies/talkgroups not created during the append process, or editing the text tags to your personal tastes. While I used the files from my HP-1 as the basis for my 536 & 436, importing them for a jump start, I used the append process originally to create them quickly when I first acquired the Home Patrol-1.

If you want to take a look at it beforehand, download the Sentinel software here and install it (you don't need to have the scanner to do this). Give the software a test drive, especially the append process, as well as using the spreadsheets, and see if you think that will work for you.

Is there a way to completely scrap whole data base in Sentinel. I downloaded the Sentinel software and play with it. I think this is horrible. There is way too much stuff in there. I like to set up my scanner the way I want it. I do not like the way that the data base is set up. I do not have the new models. I have the 396XT and 996XT. I have had these for a year and am still customizing the programming to meet my needs and like. I love the 436 but there is no way I would buy one if I can not just program the new models like I program the old models.

fuzzhead

Is there a way to completely scrap whole data base in Sentinel. I downloaded the Sentinel software and play with it. I think this is horrible. There is way too much stuff in there. I like to set up my scanner the way I want it. I do not like the way that the data base is set up. I do not have the new models. I have the 396XT and 996XT. I have had these for a year and am still customizing the programming to meet my needs and like. I love the 436 but there is no way I would buy one if I can not just program the new models like I program the old models.

I'm in the same habit as you, maybelater.

I'm not familiar with Excel, spreadsheets and such. I like freescan because it is simple and intuitive. You don't need to take a college level business computer class to learn it like Excel.

I will wait a few months and see if someone comes out with a new program that is compatible with both series of scanners. There are a heck of a LOT of 396/996XT scanners out there, with owners like me or you, that spent weeks/months and continuing time tweeking the scanners to get them PERFECT for what we need, only to be replaced by a new (non-compatible) scanner. But you see, the new ones are SO much better. It's like anything you buy nowadays...it's discontinued 2 days after the return privledge expires after you buy it.

Hang in there...we can't be the only frustrated ones.

fenderblue

I want to be able to clone my 2-536 to my 396xt so I have them all the time and the quick keys. I really don.t want to both programs very bad.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

With Sentinel, you can create favorites lists with only what you want in them, and completely ignore the master database.

You can create your favorites lists using any bits of info contained in the master database, or completely from scratch with your own info that is not in the database.

I understand how that works. I do not like this set up. I have spent a year tweaking my programming for the 396XT and 996XT and do see why I would have to or want to start over.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
With Sentinel, you can create favorites lists with only what you want in them, and completely ignore the master database.

You can create your favorites lists using any bits of info contained in the master database, or completely from scratch with your own info that is not in the database.

I understand how that works. I do not like this set up. I have spent a year tweaking my programming for the 396XT and 996XT and do see why I would have to or want to start over.

OK... Sorry. I thought you were asking how to avoid using the whole master database in Sentinel.

Is there a way to completely scrap whole data base in Sentinel.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As was noted in this thread over in the Uniden forum, apparently the ARC536 software from Butel will have an import capability to use the programming files from ARC-XT to create Favorites lists in ARC536, for the 436HP & 536HP. If you were not using ARC-XT, you might be able to download it to use for a trial period, just long enough to "read" the files in your 396XT & 996XT's.

Status
Not open for further replies.