Freescan Ver .7 - Where on Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9JDN

Feed Provider
Madison County, Illinois (STL Metro-area)
Does anyone have a link to an "older" version of FREESCAN, like version .7x? Like a fool, I recently updated my Freescan to the latest, .9G version, and now it crashes whenever I attempt to download a "conventional" system from RR.

Really, if anyone has a link to an older version (besides .9g), I'd be interested. My prior version was working just fine and then I decided to "update" to the latest...I've been burned like this before...I guess I didn't learn my lesson.

Before everyone says, "why don't you use the current version", well...the answer is complicated and I'll spare you the details in this post... but if you must know the nickel version...I'm a Mac user and had it working just fine in Parallels Desktop prior to "upgrading".

Thanks in advance for any leads on an older version....

John

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've a feeling you're going to be SOL. RR made several changes to the web interface that .7 doesn't address, I think. So the RR imports will likely no longer work. Did you try to use EZ Grab?

Get a el cheapo desktop - you'll be better off in the long run. 73 Mike

K9JDN

Feed Provider
I haven't tried EZ-GRAB yet. And, maybe, I don't need the .7 version. I'd try ANY version, prior to .9G though, if I could find one somewhere. Any leads on old versions from anyone? Thanks again!

cpuerror

FreeSCAN isn't designed to operate on Mac or Linux. It is not compatible with these OS's and will not run properly. To use, you must have a real PC with Windows 2000 or later. Older versions are unavailable. Sorry about any inconvenience.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
When did you last use .7 to import? The changes in the database have been around for a couple months.

You can try a .9 earlier version see if that works (long as its one released after the database change but again you maybe out of luck.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Moved to the software programming forum. Please use the appropriate forum next time :cool:

K9JDN

Feed Provider
Freescan .9G Version

Under FILE, I'm trying to use the Import function, then the "RadioReference Conventional..." option. Here's what I'm getting....

Attachments

• screen-capture-1.jpg
    screen-capture-1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 395

cpuerror

I checked .9G on a clean install of XP and import does work on it.It looks like you need to do an uninstall and reinstall. Also make sure you have .net 2.0 installed.

K9JDN

Feed Provider
FREESCAN .9G Version - Resolution to my problem!

For all those who may read this thread...

After a few hours of attempting to narrow down the issues with my crashing of FREESCAN whenever I went to "import" frequencies from RR, I think I may have found a solution to my crashes.

I think the issue(s) revolved around how I was launching the program from within Windows/XP. I had created a "Shortcut" in the folder where the Freescan.exe resided, and then just dragged it to my desktop in Windows/XP. When I would double-click this shortcut on the desktop, I received the above error message(s) in this thread and the program would crash.

After following Cpuerror's suggestion of uninstalling/re-installing FREESCAN and updating my .NET Framework files, I did a fresh install again of FREESCAN .9G. It still failed. Then, after I did some research and reading dialog from a search on the Internet for the specific "error message", I deduced the fact that it might be because of the way I had created my shortcut for the program.

The RESOLUTION:

I re-installed the .9G version from scratch, and then just launched it from the START menu in Windows/XP, without using a "Shortcut". IT WORKED! So next, I just dragged the FREESCAN program from it's START menu, (thus creating a "shortcut") onto my Windows desktop. Now I can launch the program via the shortcut and the program doesn't crash!!!

I'm not sure of the rhyme or reason of how this has cured my issue, but the program appears to be working properly and I can now import either RadioReference Conventional or Trunked systems via FREESCAN into my BCD996XT.

Whew...I'm thankful it works again! I hope this information helps someone who may have the same or similar problems! Happy scanning everyone....and thanks to all of you who provided suggestions and support to me during this "headache"!

mrkelso

Are you running Parallels 4.0 ? I have never had any of the problems that you are describing here. Freescan always runs perfect un 4.0 on my Imac in XP and my shortcuts are all created with a right click of the mouse.
I wonder what is different about your setup?

cpuerror

It is a feature of .NET. If you create a shortcut to FreeSCAN, then later update it, when you launch via shortcut Windows will automatically reinstall that version that the shortcut was created with. In this case an incompatible version.

Status
Not open for further replies.