FreeScan

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I have been playing with my freescan stuff trying to get things set the way I want them while I eagerly await the arrival of my BCD996XT. It looks like I can program scan systems. Like Memphis PD system can be programed to quick access on button one. Can I program it to have a quick access button to MPD system and then inside of that quick access button have program buttons 1-9 programmed to each station? 1 = Memphis PD system and then hit 1 again to = Old Allen station, 2 = Raines station, etc in the MPD system? I don't know if I have read enough, don't understand what I am reading or what but I can't seem to figure out if this is possibly and how to do it.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I may have figured it out.. I think. It looks like I can create a group (for this situation Memphis PD, assign button 1) and then create a site (Old Allen Station, also assign button 1 but this one will only be active in this talk group) and that will allow me to access MPD and then each station within the MPD talk group? Am I interpreting this correctly?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not quite - keep in mind that the high level structure, in logical terms, for a trunk system is system (which is really a place holder), site then group, not the other way around. Now if you wish to use multiple sites within a trunk, you could assign a site quick key for each one, then build your groups containing talkgroups. You must be sure to assign and enable a group quick key for each group. This is a brief example of what is known as multi site trunking - all sites share the same groups of talkgroups. That method of allocating quick keys is just one simple example - there are numerous others, and I haven't even touched on location based concepts yet...

I would suggest reading the Easier to Read manual by our own Trunker than the Uniden mess. In addition, when I was starting out, I got a few sample Maryland files that I studied until I had my 'aha' moment. It takes time to understand how all those quick keys are supposed to work. Perhaps someone in the Tenn. forum can help out in this regard. Remember that FS can import UASD and BuTel files as well.

Here's the link for the 996XT manual..

Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

No matter what software you use, you really need to understand DMA before you start programming

HTH...Mike

Last edited:

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, wx4emt is in my area. I am hopefully meeting up with him Thursday to get the gps bulkhead for my 996xt so maybe he will have some tips for me.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I have had some success with the FreeScan programming. I have figured out how to do the GPS (assumming I have it correct since i have not been able to test it yet), and set systems and groups. I can not figure out how to get the quick keys to program in FreeScan. I have gone through and done what I thought was setting quick keys but so far it still doesn't work. Any where I can see how to set the quick kets in FreeScan instead of in the radio?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For every site and group you allocate, use the pulldown in those screens to make sure you select at least one quick key. You should check on the system screen to see that the boxes that correspond with the quick keys you want to use have been checked.

At the system and site level, go to Tools/System Quick Key Editor - when you bring that up go to the bottom and hit the AUTO REFRESH button. Now float your mouse over each box and look to the right where there's a blank screen. As you float your mouse and point to a particular quick key box, you should see what system(s) and site(s) are allocated to that key

I'm doing this from memory at work - should be pretty close. Also make sure that when you do the upload, you do a REPLACE rather than ADD - and that the SEND SYSTEM QUICK KEY STATUS buttons are checked

Mike

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
For every site and group you allocate, use the pulldown in those screens to make sure you select at least one quick key. You should check on the system screen to see that the boxes that correspond with the quick keys you want to use have been checked.

At the system and site level, go to Tools/System Quick Key Editor - when you bring that up go to the bottom and hit the AUTO REFRESH button. Now float your mouse over each box and look to the right where there's a blank screen. As you float your mouse and point to a particular quick key box, you should see what system(s) and site(s) are allocated to that key

I'm doing this from memory at work - should be pretty close. Also make sure that when you do the upload, you do a REPLACE rather than ADD - and that the SEND SYSTEM QUICK KEY STATUS buttons are checked

Mike

I will try that when I get home. Do I need all of the quick keys checked or just the ones I am using? It has all of them right now. I will try to get some screen shots of my settings as well if I still can't get it to work. Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I always remove the quick keys I'm not using - to me, that's just an unnecessary waste of resources, but everyone has their own opinion....Mike

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
This is what I have right now. I have Memphis Police on 1 and Shelby County Sheriff on 2. I also have two Simulcast systems in with them. I still can't access the 1 and 2 button. It does a triple beep when I press them. When Simulcast keys up it picks up Fire and EMS services with it. Is there another button I have to press to get it to use the quick key functions?

6ccbceb7-bb71-981f.jpg

6ccbceb7-ba81-44eb.jpg

Last edited:

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I think I have figured out what is happening. It looks like all of the Shelby County area works off of the M82C Simulcast so even when I issolate it to a group I hear other agencies thru the Simulcast channels. I can issolate it down to certain areas by pressing hold and scrolling through the stations and I will hear only that stations broadcast but when I try to issolate it to a talk group (MPD for example) I still hear the other areas that are on the Simulcast (SCSO, MFD and SCFD). At least I think that is what is happening.

I did get some Arkansas and Illinois channels programmed. I know Arkansas is working because I was picking up Littlerock PD yesterday. Not sure about Illinois yet.

Last edited:

JoeyC

You haven't assigned a SYSTEM quick key to the Simulcast sites. You have only assigned GROUP quick keys to the Memphis and Shelby county groups. To turn off group QKs hit the FUNC button first, then the number. The way you have it set now, the simulcast SYSTEM will always be on. I would assign a system QK to the simulcast sites as well, that way you can turn those off if you want. Your display shows it. With nothing after S0: that shows that it is not assigned a system key. If you had assigned it system key 1, then it would show S0: 1--------- (for key 1). System QK 11 would show as S1:1---------- etc

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
You haven't assigned a SYSTEM quick key to the Simulcast sites. You have only assigned GROUP quick keys to the Memphis and Shelby county groups. To turn off group QKs hit the FUNC button first, then the number. The way you have it set now, the simulcast SYSTEM will always be on. I would assign a system QK to the simulcast sites as well, that way you can turn those off if you want. Your display shows it. With nothing after S0: that shows that it is not assigned a system key. If you had assigned it system key 1, then it would show S0: 1--------- (for key 1). System QK 11 would show as S1:1---------- etc

Oh! I should have thought about that. I know I can lock on to a station (say Allen like in my picture) so it should have been obvious that I could lock out the simulcast to stop the the other areas when I don't want them. I will try that when I get home today. Thank!

JoeyC

I don't know what Allen is in relation to your system, but if you lock out a simulcast site that Allen is a talkgroup to, you aren't going to hear it either. In order to hear something assigned to a group quick key, the system quick key that its related to must be on as well.
You might review this Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual if you haven't already to refresh your memory as to the relationships a group has to a system, and how trunking works.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what Allen is in relation to your system, but if you lock out a simulcast site that Allen is a talkgroup to, you aren't going to hear it either. In order to hear something assigned to a group quick key, the system quick key that its related to must be on as well.
You might review this Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual if you haven't already to refresh your memory as to the relationships a group has to a system, and how trunking works.

I have read through it some but I may need to again. "Allen" is Old Allen Station traffic for memphis police. I think I need to look closer at the systems when I import them from the RR program to see which simulacast corrisponds with which system. About to head out now so I will look at that when I get home. Thanks again for the help. You guy are great on here!

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
Here is how our county seems to have things. We have Memphis PD which is the cities police department. They have 9 stations with their own talk groups. We also have SCSO which is the Sheriff for the entire area. We also have corresponding fire and EMS units. They all have their own talk groups. When I look at the simulcast thought they are all run on the same frequency steps. All of the groups county wide use Lower 851.02500 and Upper 854.00000/Lower 851.01250 and Upper 868.98750. The only way I seem to be able to focus on one is if I hold on one of the talk groups. Here is another screen shot. I am not going to be able to mess with it anymore tonight but I am going to read through the manual some more and hopefully I will be able to figure a little more out.

Attachments

• Uniden BCD996XT Settings.jpg
    Uniden BCD996XT Settings.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 670

swodog6289

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully someone here can help. I've successfully programed the scanner, I can hear all the talk groups for Shelby County and Memphis however, when someone in a talk group keys it transmits for 2-5 seconds fine and occationally you hear a gap. Which means they are talking then nothing then talking again in the same transmission. I'm thinking it is an antenna issue, I've got a Maxrad BMAXSCAN1000 antenna. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.