freescan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
On which screen?

You can get to the user guide for FreeScan by using Help / Online Help from the FS toolbar. It will link you to the our wiki where the user guide is stored. Nearly all the screens are defined with links and other helpful descriptive information.

Mike

Xray

Its on the main screen after downloading systems. I think it is to do with certain digital transmissions, my problem is pathetic reception at airshows from my BCD396XT.
I have a watson wsma-801 antenna on it and often it will receive a strong signal and it will just get choppy or drop out. Yes, that can happen, thing is I also have an Alinco DJX2000 and it routinely pulls in strong those signals the bearcat drops, and often pulls in signals the bearcat doesn't even stop on, same freqs programmed into both. I use a generic extended whip on the Alinco, BNC so I have never tried swapping antennas.
Squelch is on 2 no ATT, I thought maybe the threshold had something to so with the subpar performance.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And make sure you didn't accidentally put the attenuator on - been there, done that....Mike

n4yek

.....often it will receive a strong signal and it will just get choppy or drop out.

Try setting your squelch to zero, strong signals overload the scanner and you will be able to monitor them this way. I know you can't scan like this, but when I monitor the CB band I have to do this because of the same choppy audio on strong signals.

If you want to scan with the squelch on, turn on your 'attenuator' to reduce the signal strength, this helps.

Xray

I'm not talking about "strong" as overpowering. This happened at an airshow, probably half a mile from the tower and aircraft comms are low power.
I'm talking about good, clear signals that my other scanner receives and scans with no problems. Even the audio from the Thunderbirds was choppy, every time it would pick up the start of a transmission and drop out, and I could hear it continue loud and clear on my other rig.

Not practical to program this thing in the field while actions going on, thats for sure. Would be nice if it had an across the board ATT button ,,, But again, I really don't think overload is causing this sub par reception.

901 is out of stock and tough to find anywhere, I'll go with a diamond RH77 and see if that helps - Though I really think it is receiving just fine, it is just not translating that signal to the speaker very well for whatever reason.
Also got another scanner specifically for airshows, BC125AT . If that turns out Ok I'll sell my Alinco DJX2000, don't need 3 handhelds.
I paid over $600 for it years ago, as advanced as it is with functions I'm guessing I'll do good to get $200 for it since its not digital.

Last edited:

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
The RH-77 is often considered one of the best CIvil/Milair scanner antennas out there. I have the Watson and the RH-77 and the RH-77 outperforms the Watson in my view, but it is significantly longer that the Watson too.

n4yek

every time it would pick up the start of a transmission and drop out, and I could hear it continue loud and clear on my other rig.

There isn't a 'Priority' scan happening is there? That will cause and audio drop every few seconds when it is looking at the other frequency. Just a thought...

Xray

Possible priority, I never programmed it but you never know I'll check into it.

Got another 3 day airshow coming up SEPT 5/6/7 so I want to start prepping for that.
Heard some great reviews of the BC125AT, also some horror stories about how user unfriendly it is, but if we listened to every negative review we'd never buy anything.
Have always been happy with the performance of the Alinco, I may keep it but its hard to justify having 3 handhelds that I basically only use at airshows.
The BCD396XT I'll keep for digital alone and by next season, my show scanners just might be the BC125AT and the old but true Pro 43, that way I'll have a mil air scanner that I can actually program on the fly.

Xray

BC125AT just arrived, programming was a snap with software ,,, Didn't look to bad manually, sure wasn't looking forward to all that tagging though, much easier with software.
Will post a review after the show, was highly disappointed it only goes up to 380 mhz, alls I read was that it was milair capable so I figured it would go up to 400, first I found out about this goofy restriction was when I tried to program a freq over 380 and it wouldn't let me ... Don't know if that would have been a deal breaker for me, probably would have been, quite a few mil freqs above 380 and this is really not a valid replacement for my Alinco without it.

Last edited:

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Xray bud, look at this thread on 380-400 bc125AT
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-thread-archives/267965-bc125at-frequency-coverage.html

If we meet up at selfridge I should, most likely be able to fix your intermittent problem on the XT, I'm very adept on the XT.

More than likely one or multiples of these being on will do it.

Check to see if there is in bottom right a WX or Close call is on - would show as a {{C}}.

WX - push HOLD, then the function button (the upper button on the side), 0 key.

{{C}} push the function button then HOLD till it says CC off.

Course check and see as mentioned before on the Priority. It will show as PRI on the top part of the display.
If so push the function button and the .NO button till it says Priority Mode off.

Status
Not open for further replies.