Freescan: FreeScan's Creating a lot of Blank Files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwc

Premium Subscriber
I'm using the latest version of FreeScan to record my 996P2 and it's recording and creating a file for everything it stops on.

However, it's only creating files with audio for channels I've "Marked" to record. The other files it's creating from hits where I didn't "Mark" record are all blank.

I'm coming out of the REC jack into my soundcard.

Am I missing something??? I don't want or need all of these blank files!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes, you are missing something - several things, at least...:.>>

Anyway, let's start at the beginning - if you're not hearing scanner audio through your PC, you will need to go to your System Tray and enable the port on the soundcard where you're connected. It's not uncommon that distributors leave this disabled.

Next, you need to do some setup on the FreeScan side - see this article from the user guide...

FreeScan Audio Recording - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

zwc

Premium Subscriber
Here's my issue:

If I select "RECORD ALL", all hits are recorded with audio.
If I select "RECORD MARKED", and only mark a few files, all hits are still recorded, even ones that aren't checked off to record, but only the ones marked have audio. The rest are just blank files.

Is that a bug in the beta version with the 996p2 type scanner?

zwc

Premium Subscriber
I've been using a PSR500 with Don's excellent WIN500 since '09 flawlessly. Thank you Don S. for that great software.

I just picked up a 996P2 and had FreeScan loaded and ready when it arrived. I was literally up and scanning in under 5 minutes. First I performed the firmware upgrade, then plugged her in, turned her on, and uploaded about 1800 objects! Done.

All the hand wringing about potential com port issues, unrecognized devices, difficulty with firmware upgrading, etc, was for naught.

I just started messing around with ID Tracker and it's a wonderful recording program once you get it at least partially figured out. It is also working perfectly and only recording files I've set as Priority within the software. I let it run for a few hours to capture objects, then went into Systems and checked Priority recording and set a few objects as Priority items. Worked like a charm.

FreeScan wants to create a file for everything, and only capture audio along with the file if you have it "marked" to record. The red ball that indicates Recording on the Virtual Control lights up for each and every hit.

Right now I'm reserving FreeScan for uploading/downloading and will focus my efforts on getting ID Tracker under my belt for recording, though it's frustrating not being able to get FreeScan recording sorted out because it's such a simple program!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here's my issue:

If I select "RECORD ALL", all hits are recorded with audio.
If I select "RECORD MARKED", and only mark a few files, all hits are still recorded, even ones that aren't checked off to record, but only the ones marked have audio. The rest are just blank files.

Is that a bug in the beta version with the 996p2 type scanner?

That's possible, I suppose - there is a dedicated FreeScan forum on Assaf's site - that's likely to be the best place to ask. Mike

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Unfortunately ka3jjz this is the better place anymore to ask really. Yes there is a dedicated forum and I have been on those forums helping out as much as I can over there. Assaf's real life is busy now, rarely gets on his own board for weeks. What can we say, for a great free program for so many years!

zwc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the comments.

FreeScan's recording capability is set up for a voice activated recorder.

Unfortunately, if you just connect from the RECORD OUT to the computer's Mic In jack you get a file for every hit.

ID TRACKER controls what it will record via commands sent via USB. I've since enabled RECORD for all of my channels and tell ID TRACKER which channels I want recorded or not.

Don Starr's WIN500 does the same thing and I had that up and running with my PSR500 and 600 for seven years non-stop without any recording problems.

This way I know there will always be audio present at the RECORD OUT jack. I can set channels to record as I review the logs confident that there will be audio. As a side benefit, any sound recording software can now be used to capture audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.