Freeway Service Patrol Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps Inigo or someone else can answer this…

I know FSP was broken up in the database, but does anyone know which FSP areas use what mountain tops? I know this much…

34 (Marin) and 17 (Santa Rosa) units use Big Rock.

Sounded like 23 (Hollister/Gilroy) units were using Monument Peak, and 32 (San Francisco) units were using Loma Preita…

Anyone have a list of what area offices use which peaks? Inquiring minds want to know!

Regards,

-Frank C.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
The numbers you gave are CHP. FSP areas are 3 digits.

Indeed, but I was quickening the post. I know I heard a Marin Unit (6-34-80) on the FSP Big Rock Machine as well as a Santa Rosa Unit (x-17-20).

Hence the question.

Regards,

-Frank C.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Off the top of my head I don't remember, although we did have a regional FSP LTR system built in the database at one time. If you search for posts by WayneH regarding FSP you will likely find the original thread. It turns out of course that the system didn't belong to FSP - they simply leased radios and airtime from local commercial providers. Each site was LTR Standard in the 480 MHz range so that will narrow down your search, although with the move towards MotoTRBO and NXDN (NEXEDGE/iDAS) FSP may eventually transition to one of those digital systems. For example, Signature Wireless was deploying an Icom iDAS digital system in Marin last I checked in parallel with their analog LTR sites, which may eventually take over their whole customer base.

BriW

Indeed, but I was quickening the post. I know I heard a Marin Unit (6-34-80) on the FSP Big Rock Machine as well as a Santa Rosa Unit (x-17-20).

Hence the question.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Marin is beat 13 and Santa Rosa is beat 15. FSP has 37 beats in the Bay Area. From what I recall, the last part of the FSP call sign is the beat number. I don't know how what you heard plays into this.

And I don't know why you heard a truck from the Santa Rosa beat on a repeater in Marin County. But they are on a LTR system that could be configured to let them roam.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
The first half of the FSP callsign is the CHP area office number preceded by a 6. Thus since the Marin office is 34, and as you say the beat is 13, it would be "6-34-13." Last I checked the LTR systems they used do not perfectly divide up into their separate coverage areas, and there is definitely some Sonoma county activity on Big Rock. LTR doesn't automatically roam, so the driver has to manually change channels as they drive between sites.

BriW

... and there is definitely some Sonoma county activity on Big Rock.

Beat 35 is Highway 101 from Highway 37 to Highway 116, which is part in Marin County and part in Sonoma County. And Bill's Towing is assigned to that beat, which is based in San Rafael. So what you hear makes complete sense.

franks_ham - And as for your original question: FSP isn't divided up by "area offices", so your question can't be answered. Your question pertains to CHP, and FSP isn't divided up by CHP offices.

Last edited:

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
So who uses what repeaters then would be a better question? I've heard the 17 unit dispatch only on Loma, so I assume its broadcast system wide?

Regards,

-Frank C.

BriW

The trucks often traverse different geographical areas, so they use the repeater that is closest. You can lookup the repeater locations in the FCC database. Read the wiki on LTR systems to familiarize yourself with how those systems work.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
BriW, I am curious where you're getting your information on FSP?

First of all, we know that the FSP beat map does not always follow CHP area office boundaries (the FSP Bay Area beat map can be seen here), but it is absolutely 100% confirmed that the callsigns used on the radio DO use CHP area offices, preceded by a 6. It is not a coincidence that CHP Marin units use a "34-" prefix, and FSP Marin units use a "6-34-" prefix. FSP is dispatched by CHP Golden Gate, and I would guess they use similar callsigns for simplicity.

Second, FSP operates on 480 MHz LTR Standard trunking systems leased from private 3rd party commercial operators. This means it will be impossible to search "FSP" in the FCC database and find anything, because FSP is simply one of many customers (including taxi companies, other tow truck companies, garbage trucks, etc) that utilize these systems.

The following is a partial list of LTR systems used for FSP dispatch. Last I checked they were all operated by Crystal Communications (Crystal SMR Inc) out of San Leandro, but my knowledge of these systems is several years old so it's possible they may have moved since then.

Looking back at the original Crystal Communications list referred to in this thread, it sounds like there were sites at the following mountain tops:

- Big Rock Ridge (Marin)
- Loma Prieta (Santa Clara)
- Mt Diablo (Contra Costa)
- Mission/Monument Peak (Alameda)
- Devil's Peak (I'm not exactly sure where this is, there's one in Placer Co and one south of Monterey)

Crystal Communications, Big Rock Ridge:
Crystal Communications (Big Rock Ridge) Trunking System, Novato, California - Scanner Frequencies

Crystal Communications, Loma Prieta:
Crystal Communications (Loma Prieta) Trunking System, Loma Prieta, California - Scanner Frequencies

Crystal Communications, Mt Diablo (South Peak):
Crystal Communications (Mt. Diablo South Pk) Trunking System, Walnut Creek, California - Scanner Frequencies

Crystal Communications, Monument/Mission Peak:
Crystal Communications (Monument/Mission Peak) Trunking System, Fremont, California - Scanner Frequencies

This FleetTalk Partners system on Mt San Bruno (SF county) also has an FSP entry, but this system dates back all the way from 2003, so I suspect FSP is not longer on it (if it even still exists at all):
FleetTalk Partners- was Champion Communications (San Bruno Mtn.) Trunking System, None, California - Scanner Frequencies

Frank, give those a listen and let us know.

BriW

I get my information from Caltrans and CHP.

FSP mobile data computers use a 3-digit area number to log in. I'm curious to know how you think your 100% confirmation of FSP area numbering corresponding to CHP area numbering works with CHP area offices that already contain 3-digits, such as Dublin and Castro Valley.

LowBat

Premium Subscriber

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
FSP mobile data computers use a 3-digit area number to log in. I'm curious to know how you think your 100% confirmation of FSP area numbering corresponding to CHP area numbering works with CHP area offices that already contain 3-digits, such as Dublin and Castro Valley.

That's a great question. If you have the answer I'd love to hear it! :)

Last edited:

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I learned of this site (Devil's Peak, San Mateo County) a few years ago while researching LTR communications for my company. Crystal Communications uses it. If you switch to satellite view and zoom in (to the green arrow) you'll see the tower.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N37+3...,-95.677068&sspn=41.224889,79.013672&t=p&z=13

Thanks a bunch. We had an entry for it after all, I just wasn't sure where to look.
Crystal Communications (Devil's Peak) Trunking System, None, California - Scanner Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.