Fremont County

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

So I see no one has taken on Fremont County with a freedom of information lawsuit yet. Wonder if it's because they're afraid of some sort of retaliation from the local government. It must suck living there and not being able to listen to what's going on every time you hear sirens. Sure you can get some info through the fire TG's, but that's only if the fire dept is dispatched to the scene, otherwise you would have to become an ambulance chaser in order to halfway have an idea. Wonder how the local news paper is getting by? I find it kind of odd for this little town to have encrypted the Sheriff and PD's main channels when much bigger city's around Colorado have very few encrypted channels. IMO it's almost like they're trying to hide something.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Garfield County has done the same thing, it's often seems to be a result of small town govt that has something to hide!

Jim<

jambo

I've heard alot of those small towns in Colorado are corrupt. If your not related somehow to someone in the local government or law enforcement, you better watch out. Which also explains why there are so many prisons there in Colorado compared to other states. PRETTY SCARY.

cl

Forgive my ignorance, what happened with Fremont county?

Is there a link?

lostguy

Enc

Nearly everything in Fremont County has been encrypted, canon city pd, fd, florence pd, fd, fremont county so. Arkansas valley ambulance in the west end is almost completely enc as well, from i have been told all fire districts in fremont county will be encypted soon. About the only thing that isnt ENC is CSP, DOW, CDOT, and state parks, and of course DOC.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I'm not going to comment on the reckless accusations about local government and law enforcement in Colorado, however, (and unfortunately), suing the local government for encrypting everything will get you NOWHERE.
There is nothing that says local government has to make their system monitorable by the general public.
Does it suck that they encrypt everything? Yes.
Can it give the appearance that they have something to hide? Yes.
Are they doing anything illegal? No.

utlchris

I have one comment to say on encryption, which I do not support all across the board anyway. However last week when the Denver Sheriff officer was run over and they found the car a few hours later. It was aired for all Officers to stay out of the area so undercover could keep an eye on the car to see if someone might be around or come back to it. Denver was able to back off of it. That was until the news van rolled down the street and started filming it. It's stuff like this that wants them lean to the side of encrypting.

speard

Premium Subscriber
I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that an agency or government is corrupt and hiding something because they encrypt their talk groups. In my experiences, which are professional, agencies lean towards encryption to protect their folks during operations.

Does this all suck for the average listener? Yes.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I am a user on a couple of systems, so I understand the concerns from the public safety side...
HOWEVER, I sometimes wonder if the WIDESPREAD use of encryption is a method used to get around sloppy habits by end users.

speard, I agree with you, but given the almost rabid distrust of government from a large section of the population in Colorado, I can understand how some make the leap towards corruption. I don't agree with it, but I can see where it comes from.

speard

Premium Subscriber
speard, I agree with you, but given the almost rabid distrust of government from a large section of the population in Colorado, I can understand how some make the leap towards corruption. I don't agree with it, but I can see where it comes from.

I understand and agree. I'm well aware of the distrust, and refusal to fund/participate in government in Colorado, especially in southern Colorado.

pdewees

Premium Subscriber
mutual aid

I know from experence in Wyoming where the reservation PD uses incription but nobody else gets fun when they want to talk to others like the SO because they forget that incript is on. Im sure the same will hapen down there. Try and keep all large incidents away.

nathancarlson

Things like this are making me less anxious to see Longmont on DTRS. I am sure they will be wanting to encrypt everything, even though I don't see the criminals they are after getting the technology to scan digital systems. I think only certain things like SWAT should be encrypted, if anything. Or, they should have the option like on Wyomings old conventional system to do so when they felt they really needed to with the push of a button. But locking out agencies that can assist you, or people who enjoy monitoring is not right at all.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I know from experence in Wyoming where the reservation PD uses incription but nobody else gets fun when they want to talk to others like the SO because they forget that incript is on. Im sure the same will hapen down there. Try and keep all large incidents away.

If they're having those problems, it's because they didn't do a good job of programming their radios. Encryption does not have to be "all or nothing". They can easily encrypt some talk groups and not others (such as mutual aid TG's).

jambo

All I was saying is it's kind of odd that such a rinky dink little county, like Fremont, would encrypt everything. I live in a county that&#8217;s 8 times that size and the only encrypted TG's are their TAC, INFO, SWAT, CID, SID things of that nature. This I don't have a problem with. Like someone mentioned before, they need to be able to communicate in privacy on certain issues that contain sensitive information. This is why they have TG&#8217;s like TAC, CID, SID etc. that are encrypted, but to encrypt everything is somewhat ridiculous to me and does leave one wondering. What it comes down to is, the tax payers of that state helped to purchase and install that system. So it is their right to listen to it if they want to and can afford to. But until someone has the guts to stand up to them, then nothing is going to change, and before you know it the whole state will be encrypted. And who knows, before long your scanners will be outlawed and then what.

jambo

I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that an agency or government is corrupt and hiding something because they encrypt their talk groups. In my experiences, which are professional, agencies lean towards encryption to protect their folks during operations.

Does this all suck for the average listener? Yes.

Not sure where you have been in the last ten years or so, but all forms of government are corrupt. Look at the local newspaper or watch the local news once in awhile and you'll see it for yourself. Unless of course your part of them. One thing to remember here is LAW's that are in place. One being, "The Freedom Of Information Act".

Here is something you might want to start with:Freedom of Information Act | The White House

MickiO

Premium Subscriber
FREMONT County encryption

FWIW, I live in Fremont County, and yes it stinks that nearly everything is encrypted now, especially since my husband just spent another $100 on a better antenna for me, along with another $50 for the best cable, on top of the $575 for the scanner itself.

BUT, what I heard, is that there is alot of drug problems here, and too many people were listening in on transmissions and so it became necessary to encypt both police & sheriff scanners. The drug problem was growing out of control in this county, and this is just one of the ways they came up with to help take the control back,

Alot of drug users invest in police scanners and the news paper said, they were having trouble cetching them, they would hear the transmission and get rid of the evidence or leave before they got there, etc.

I've lived here all of my life and Fremont County has always been a completely safe, clean small town to raise a family in,. So, if loosing police and sheriff channels on my scanner is what it takes to keep it that way, then it's worth it.

I do wish they would only block/encrypt those transmissions and leave the main channels open, unless they're doing a drug bust or whatever. I don't see why they need to block EVERY transmission,

I'm in a sheelchair from MS and I can't get out of the house much, especially in winter, and I used to enjoy listening to the scanner, made me feel in touch with the outside and when calls came in, I would pray over them, pray for the officers and the victims of a traffic accident, or pray little babies while they were being rtransported to the hospital with serious medical problems. Many times I heard them announce one the scanner, that the child/person just made a mircale turn around. Pretty amazing stories I could tell.

Anyways, I just wish I could atleast still listen to Pueblo county. It's only like 25 miles from here and I used to listen to them on analog, but since they went digital, I very seldom pick them up any more. I can get Cipple Creek wich is quite a ways from here, and is higher in elevation so I guess that's why I can pick it up. But, Cripple Creek is waaaay smaller than Fremont, so other than an occasional snow plow from C-DOT, and State Patrol, my scanner is pretty quiet.

My scanner used to be CONSTANT chatter and now sometimes I get busy and forget it's even turned on because it's so quiet any more..LOL

Does anyone know where I can hear Pueblo Police/Sheriff online?

Thanks,
Michelle

jambo

Invest in a digital scanner if you haven't already. The new Home Patrol from uniden is a fast easy way to tune into Pueblo PD and State Police. As for they haven't encrypted all their TG's YET. They go for around $500 dollars and look like the ideal radio for most people who want to get started in the digital world. Easy as 1-2-3 and your off and listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.