French amateur radio spectrum use during 2024 Paris Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I recently drove on Interstates 17 and 40 from northern Arizona, to Phoenix, back to northern Arizona, and east towards Holbrook and then back to home. During the time on the Interstates, I was monitoring 2 meter and 70 cm [analog] simplex @ 50 watts output. Not one contact made. I tried repeaters where possible and not one contact made.

I have no clue what the IOC or the USOC might want or request, but there are some dead bands out there along AZ roads.

Les Français sont doués pour ce genre de choses, Non ?
:giggle:

Didn't the French try something like this.... with trying an expansion of their aero-band into the 2 metre ham frequencies a few years ago ??

Personally I think its a non-starter and may never happen for a host of reasons--- I would not get my panties in a wad over it....

But their proposal? .... these are people who eat frogs and snails for crying out loud !....

Lauri

1fgkn.jpg

Last edited:

radionx

430-440 with 10 Watts...would be a great UHF CB Band to keep for sure, like they do in Thailand
:devilish:

Broken Window Therory, this time in the electro-magnetical spectrum

"with trying an expansion of their aero-band into the 2 metre"

If I remember correctly they wanted to use this band for the remote contol of drones. Oddly enough it was a french enterprise asking for that...

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
"The French are generally good at this sort of thing, no"

Yes - no! Well, sort of - but they do make some almighty c*ck-ups at times. Road rules for example - how about "Traffic entering a roundabout has right-of-way over traffic on the roundabout". That circle around the Arc de Triomphe is just one big car park at peak times.

dogtowndrums

Feed Provider
That would be a non-starter in LA for sure, especially with so many Baofengs and all those W6NUT and KW6USA miscreants "in the wild". Try taking the 2m band away from them, even temporarily. Over here in our little version of LA (Louisiana or my beloved Lower Arkansas) there would probably be some sort of armed response if 2m were given or loaned to any cause with the word "international" in the name. But hey, these ole boys keep the repeaters hot in these parts, and bless 'em for it. I can't speak for Arizona, but if you end up over this way, there's a good chance that you'll find somebody to return your call on 52 simplex or one of the (sometimes ridiculously) numerous repeaters along the I-40 and I-30 corridor.

k6cpo

Les Français sont doués pour ce genre de choses, Non ?
:giggle:

Didn't the French try something like this.... with trying an expansion of their aero-band into the 2 metre ham frequencies a few years ago ??

Personally I think its a non-starter and may never happen for a host of reasons--- I would not get my panties in a wad over it....

But their proposal? .... these are people who eat frogs and snails for crying out loud !....

Lauri

View attachment 125702

I've had snails. They're actually quite good.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Uh, if they try that in LA, it's gonna be interesting!!!

I drove through LA the other day. Had the radio in my truck on 146.52.
Some poor guy threw out his call sign and 'monitoring'
Someone replied.

Then the jamming started. Random music played over them every time they tried to talk. I finally turned the volume down.

France may have different rules and their amateur allocations may be secondary, much like the 70 centimeter band is here in the USA. Would be interesting to know if amateurs in France have primary allocation on that band.

If you are like me you got curious about this French radio stuff. Here is a link to the frequency allocations in France--- note its pretty much the same as thru out the EU. How and where these IOC stations will squat is interesting, for there are some pretty well defined international uses on 70cm and 2 metres--- satellites-- as one for-instance.

But these people eat frogs :giggle:**

Finding particulars about French amateur radio regulations is challenging; I ran the limits of my curiosity and gave up. But if anyone is interested you might continue with this; here is how you can operate a station in France- just what you can do there while under CEPT rules mystify's me.

I agree -- if this were to happen in the the States it would go over like the proverbial turd in the wedding punch bowl ;).
Outcome ?--Can we say "civil disobedience?"

Lauri

images.jpg

**my best friend is French....sorry Barb ;)

Last edited:

k6cpo

But they also make some pretty decent wine, cheese and bread--not enough, unfortunately, to mitigate eating frogs and snails though.

If you think eating frogs or snails is strange, try traveling in Asia. When I was in Vietnam, the natives used to have sidewalk stands that served meat grilled on bamboo skewers. It was pretty tasty but you were better off not asking what kind of meat it was. In China we had a dish of cut up chicken in a sauce. It was served with the feet and head on the platter.

Status
Not open for further replies.