French Language on 464.8500 PL 118.8 - Richmond

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF4ZTO

I know I created a thread about this maybe two years ago now and I can't seem to find it (or I'm not good enough at using the search feature - mods if that thread is archived somewhere please merge it with this one) but the mystery French language users have re-appeared on 464.850 in Richmond...only this time I've heard some English language as well. 464.850 appears to be a community repeater of some sort (possibly unlicensed) as I've heard road assistance crews, HVAC repair techs and other users on it (using PL tones other than 118.8 Hz) in the past.

This time, however, I was able to get some video of the conversation, I don't speak French so if anybody could help with a translation that would be awesome.

Interestingly enough, whoever these users are, they always seem to be appearing around when the VCU French Film Festival is going on (right now).

Edit:

Here's a link for the recording:

French Language on 464.8500 MHz Richmond VA - Part 1 - YouTube

Another Edit:

Here's a second link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2yg9FhqO6E

Last edited:

W4UVV

CBZ Systems

Could it be this?

ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WQCQ736 - CBZ Systems Inc

Edit: This is clearly related to the French Film Festival. They have been referencing Carytown and the Byrd Theater multiple times this morning.

CBZ Systems is a 5 channel LTR trunked system located in Chester. 464.8500 mhz. appears to be the "home channel" for these French language comms users. When I hear them occasionally in tuning usually it is a male talking either to one or two females.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
I seem to recall that airlines use UHF frequencies to speak to their dispatchers and for other airline company busisness. Air France has a couple of dailies into Dulles (IAD) and it is possible that is what you are hearing as they fly over Richmond. Anyhow just a guess.

KF4ZTO

CBZ systems would make sense. I live close to Carytown and have been seeing shuttle vans with Virginia "State Government Use Only" blue license plates driving up into Carytown and back towards the VCU campus. I've seen some of the drivers with UHF radios but I haven't been able to make out a model number or other information about the radios. I was originally thinking it could have been rentals.

Interestingly enough, the Jefferson also has 464.850 as one of its licensed frequencies (although it is simplex-only). The only activity I've heard from the Jefferson has been on their 462.125 security repeater and their 461.650 operations/banquets simplex channel from time to time. 464.850 is for sure repeaterized and its very long squelch tail would be indicative of a LTR system home channel, correct? What about the other users I've heard on 464.850 (with different PL tones?)

WPLI892 (JEFFERSON HOTEL) FCC Callsign Details

I'm wondering if the film festival staff are using these radios as rental radios that just happen to be on that repeater pair. I've never heard activity on the other CBZ Systems frequencies. Perhaps it is no longer a true LTR system but a grouping of conventional community repeaters?

I'll program in the input frequency (469.850) into my radios and see I can hear anything. Even if these guys are just using HTs I should be able to hear something, as I'm on the route for the shuttle vans and close enough to VCU to hear their other simplex UHF stuff (the Student Commons on 458.450 and Cary Street Gym - with 461.5875 and 464.4375 being the most active....as well as the FRS traffic every now and then.

Are any of y'all Richmond locals monitoring this frequency now? If it is indeed the CBZ Systems, the frequency should have good coverage for basically the entire Richmond metro region....

Last edited:

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
I'm a block from Carytown and I'm receiving it with full signal strength. The license data shows the transmitter site on Iron Bridge Rd. in Chester at 100W, so it's got some power for sure. I'd be interested to find out who else is on this system.

KF4ZTO

Have you heard anything on the input frequency (469.850)? I've been unable to hear anything on that freq, even when 464.850 is active.

I've heard at least half a dozen different users on that repeater since I've been scanning Richmond. All with different PL tones.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Nothing so far on the input. I'll be hopping around the metro area all day tomorrow, so I'll keep it in the rotation and see what I can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.