French on 464.850 - Richmond

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF4ZTO

Hearing French language (at least two different people though, one male and one female) on 464.850 PL118.8, sounds like a repeater, coming in very loud in downtown Richmond...anybody know what this could be?

I know The Jefferson is licensed for 464.850 simplex/low power, but this was almost certainly a repeater, with a long squelch tail.

W4UVV

Another undocumented one

Hearing French language (at least two different people though, one male and one female) on 464.850 PL118.8, sounds like a repeater, coming in very loud in downtown Richmond...anybody know what this could be?

I know The Jefferson is licensed for 464.850 simplex/low power, but this was almost certainly a repeater, with a long squelch tail.

I listened for a few hours this afternoon and was receiving the repeater S+15 in Prince George. It does have a long squelch tail and the input needs to be tightened as their were frequent white noise bursts keying the repeater. Comms were very infrequent. I heard a girl calling the Production Room who did not answer. Later I heard one unit calling another....all in English with no response. I checked my database and from last year show this as an unknown user for pl 123.0 hz.. In fact possibly there are three separate users with the operation acting as a community repeater. I logged pls 114.8, 118.8 and 123.0 hz today. Previously I had logged a voice user on 123.0 and today of course two on 118.8 hz. 118.8 hz is a no no CTCSS pl to avoid using because it is so close to the second harmonic of 60 hz AC. But the installer is using it as one of 3 pls. It is a stand alone repeater operation and not part of a LTR system. It will have to be monitored to try and figure out who the users are.

KF4ZTO

Hmmm

I've heard noise on that frequency with 118.8PL before, would make sense as far as 60Hz hum goes.

UVV, I know this is sort of off topic, but do you know what license (or where) this repeater is operating under? The only thing I can come up with is this...

CBZ Systems Trunking System, Chester, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

Which is an LTR system...but there arn't any other licenses for 464.850 (or 469.850 for that matter) in the area, save the jefferson hotel low power simplex license...

W4UVV

Undocumented Repeater

As the title in my previous post stated it is an undocumented repeater. I know of two other area repeater operations that are valid but are not shown in the FCC database. This repeater appears to be a third one. If I had to guess I would say it is located in Henrico, Chesterfield or Hanover Co. and not in Richmond City.

As you stated CBZ Systems is an LTR system. This is not an LTR voice repeater.

Commtronics installs many repeaters in the Richmond/Tri Cities area. It may be one of their installs.

You just have to keep listening. I program it in one of my scanners and just monitor that frequency separately from whatever else I have on at the time.

I think the noise keying the repeater could be stopped by tightening the repeater receiver squelch.

W4UVV

They were on again today

As the title in my previous post stated it is an undocumented repeater. I know of two other area repeater operations that are valid but are not shown in the FCC database. This repeater appears to be a third one. If I had to guess I would say it is located in Henrico, Chesterfield or Hanover Co. and not in Richmond City.

As you stated CBZ Systems is an LTR system. This is not an LTR voice repeater.

Commtronics installs many repeaters in the Richmond/Tri Cities area. It may be one of their installs.

You just have to keep listening. I program it in one of my scanners and just monitor that frequency separately from whatever else I have on at the time.

I think the noise keying the repeater could be stopped by tightening the repeater receiver squelch.

This afternoon there was an extended conversion between and man and woman. Unfortunately for id purposes it was all in French. My guess is they are Canadian transplants to the Richmond area working for some company. We may never figure out who they are. They seem to be the only user on the repeater. The man's signal was scratchy possibly because he was using a HT.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Too bad nobody I know speaks fluent French...

ZTO-

If you can record some of the transmissons, I can tell you what they're saying, and can tell you what dialect they are speaking. It may help ID them for you...

Regards,

KF4ZTO

!!

I will go ahead and try and do that, I can't at the moment though, my main computer is in the process of dying and I'm therefore moving all my important stuff to another computer and my desk is a serious mess as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.