Freq range of radio greater than freq range of antenna - any possible problems ?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks !

I was thinking from what I read somewhere (done a lot of researching recently) that 146.520MHz was the calling freq for the 2 meter band, but I was going to confirm that to be sure, but you just did !

Right, 146.520 is probably going to be one of the more active VHF simplex frequencies. It's a good one to have in your radio.
The idea is that you establish communications on the calling channel, and then switch to a unused simplex frequency. Idea is to free up the calling channel for others to use.
But it's a good frequency to monitor if you are on the road and not in range of any repeaters.
Don't expect to hear a lot, though.

As far as steps for Simplex I did a search online and found this web site with resources, is this what I would use to tell for sure as far as Simplex frequencies and steps ?

Yes, you want whatever the locals use. Here where I am, 15KHz spacing is the "gentlemen's agreement", looks like it is the same in South Carolina. You may find other locations prefer 20KHz spacing. I've heard others locally using 20KHz instead of 15KHz, and it's not a big deal.
But, in reality, it's not critical. The ham bands are not generally 'channelized' (with the exception of 60 meter band), so you could technically use any frequency within the band.

Yep, I figured I would need to fine-tune my programming after a while, just wanted to get it reasonably well the first try :ROFLMAO:

It's good to study it and make a plan for what you want to do. Just expect to make some changes as you go.
I just programmed up a bunch of radios for a group at work. Had it all done, went home. Overnight, I did some thinking and went back and made some minor changes before I handed them off to the end users. 25 years of doing it professionally, 35 years of doing it on the hobby side. As you gain experience, you'll pick things up and want to make changes. Also, as your interest in different aspects of the hobby change, you'll want to change the radio to match. Totally normal.

GKLdiy88

Right, 146.520 is probably going to be one of the more active VHF simplex frequencies. It's a good one to have in your radio.
The idea is that you establish communications on the calling channel, and then switch to a unused simplex frequency. Idea is to free up the calling channel for others to use.
But it's a good frequency to monitor if you are on the road and not in range of any repeaters.
Don't expect to hear a lot, though.

Yes, you want whatever the locals use. Here where I am, 15KHz spacing is the "gentlemen's agreement", looks like it is the same in South Carolina. You may find other locations prefer 20KHz spacing. I've heard others locally using 20KHz instead of 15KHz, and it's not a big deal.
But, in reality, it's not critical. The ham bands are not generally 'channelized' (with the exception of 60 meter band), so you could technically use any frequency within the band.

It's good to study it and make a plan for what you want to do. Just expect to make some changes as you go.
I just programmed up a bunch of radios for a group at work. Had it all done, went home. Overnight, I did some thinking and went back and made some minor changes before I handed them off to the end users. 25 years of doing it professionally, 35 years of doing it on the hobby side. As you gain experience, you'll pick things up and want to make changes. Also, as your interest in different aspects of the hobby change, you'll want to change the radio to match. Totally normal.

Thanks, good info to know and I appreciate you and everyone sharing their knowledge based on years of actual experience !

I understand about likely wanting to fine-tune my programming later after I am on the air a while and see the need to update anything based on what I can and can't receive from my local area.

GKLdiy88

I got some household stuff to get done and I don't want to rush thru the programming when I do it so if I'm not ready to do it before then I'll wait for a day next week when I know I have time to focus on the programming without having to rush thru it. (still want to get a few more frequencies for my list to program also)

While the RT95 is yet to be programmed, I did have time to finally power it up today just to make sure it came on okay.

I did set it to 146.520 MHz and tried a few times to ask for a radio check but didn't hear any response, being in a semi-rural area I figure I'd have to happen to try that at just the right time when someone might be listening. So I got the idea to set my HT to the same frequency and I was able to hear the tranmission both ways, from the RT95 to my HT and from the HT to my RT95 so at least I know it was transmitting and receiving okay. The RT95 transmitter seems to be working good as the green power level lights light up all the way across even to the red indicator. (maybe when I program it I'll see a way to turn that down a notch or two if I need to)

Here is a pic I just took:
RT95 transmitting level.jpgRT95 transmitting level.jpg

GKLdiy88

On a side note, thinking ahead for when I get a regular outdoor antenna (hopefully sooner than later) I was looking at various tape for sealing the coax connector that hooks to the antenna and saw this as possibly a good choice:

3M Scotch Vinyl Electrical Tape Super 88

It's currently rated at 4.8 stars out of 5, think it should work okay ?

I am also planning to measure and see if 25 feet of coax will be enough, I understand shorter is better to help minimize signal loss (and to also help keep cost down :LOL: )

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
On a side note, thinking ahead for when I get a regular outdoor antenna (hopefully sooner than later) I was looking at various tape for sealing the coax connector that hooks to the antenna and saw this as possibly a good choice:

3M Scotch Vinyl Electrical Tape Super 88

It's currently rated at 4.8 stars out of 5, think it should work okay ?

3M makes good stuff, you can't go wrong with that.
The commercial sealing kits I have come with Scotch 700.

Either one would be just fine.

prcguy

That radio appears to be a version of the Anytone AT-778UV series. I have one and its not fun to program.

I got some household stuff to get done and I don't want to rush thru the programming when I do it so if I'm not ready to do it before then I'll wait for a day next week when I know I have time to focus on the programming without having to rush thru it. (still want to get a few more frequencies for my list to program also)

While the RT95 is yet to be programmed, I did have time to finally power it up today just to make sure it came on okay.

I did set it to 146.520 MHz and tried a few times to ask for a radio check but didn't hear any response, being in a semi-rural area I figure I'd have to happen to try that at just the right time when someone might be listening. So I got the idea to set my HT to the same frequency and I was able to hear the tranmission both ways, from the RT95 to my HT and from the HT to my RT95 so at least I know it was transmitting and receiving okay. The RT95 transmitter seems to be working good as the green power level lights light up all the way across even to the red indicator. (maybe when I program it I'll see a way to turn that down a notch or two if I need to)

Here is a pic I just took:
View attachment 135746View attachment 135746

GKLdiy88

3M makes good stuff, you can't go wrong with that.
The commercial sealing kits I have come with Scotch 700.

Either one would be just fine.

Thanks, also think 25 feet of coax to an outdoor antenna will be short enough to help really minimize signal loss ?

GKLdiy88

That radio appears to be a version of the Anytone AT-778UV series. I have one and its not fun to program.

I have read they are pretty much the same (might be a slight difference, not sure).

I am planning on using Chirp to program the RT95 this next week, I have read of others using Chirp with the RT95 successfully.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks, also think 25 feet of coax to an outdoor antenna will be short enough to help really minimize signal loss ?

25 feet isn't a lot of cable. Most mobile mounts come with 17 feet of RG-58, and that's plenty for most installs, and the loss isn't a big deal, even for 800MHz.
I'd use some decent cable, just because it's good to do it right, but you don't need to get hung up on expensive stuff. After all, it's a hobby and there are budgets.
RG-8 would be fine, even though there are those that will tell you it isn't. You can always install more expensive/lower loss cable, but at some point you have to realize there's not a huge difference in loss.

GKLdiy88

25 feet isn't a lot of cable. Most mobile mounts come with 17 feet of RG-58, and that's plenty for most installs, and the loss isn't a big deal, even for 800MHz.
I'd use some decent cable, just because it's good to do it right, but you don't need to get hung up on expensive stuff. After all, it's a hobby and there are budgets.
RG-8 would be fine, even though there are those that will tell you it isn't. You can always install more expensive/lower loss cable, but at some point you have to realize there's not a huge difference in loss.

Thanks, would something like this be okay enough for an at home outdoor antenna ?

Coax Cable 25ft, RG8x

If not I can research some more for better coax, no problem.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd probably go with straight RG-8. The RG-8X is a bit smaller and doesn't give you much of a benefit over RG-58 on a run that short. RG-8 is a bit less than 1/2" but it is still pretty flexible.

LMR-400 would be a step up, but you'll pay about twice for it.

GKLdiy88

I'd probably go with straight RG-8. The RG-8X is a bit smaller and doesn't give you much of a benefit over RG-58 on a run that short. RG-8 is a bit less than 1/2" but it is still pretty flexible.

LMR-400 would be a step up, but you'll pay about twice for it.

Thanks, I'm trying to stay economical but still want to be sure it's worth getting.

I like Amazon as we get free shipping but so far I can't find regular RG-8, I did find this:

XRDS-RF KMR 400 UHF Coaxial Cable 25ft

it's slightly more expensive but seems better than what I linked previously, would this one be okay ?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd be concerned about that cable.
Some of these are cheap knock off cables with poorly installed connectors.
Considering your labor is worth something, and the cable/antenna is an important part of your system, I'd invest more in it. It will make a difference.

I'd stick with Times-Microwave, Belden, or one of the name brands. The cheap stuff off Amazon might work, but you are taking a risk with it.

GKLdiy88

Considering your labor is worth something, and the cable/antenna is an important part of your system, I'd invest more in it. It will make a difference.

I'd stick with Times-Microwave, Belden, or one of the name brands. The cheap stuff off Amazon might work, but you are taking a risk with it.

Thanks, I do understand the importance of good cable, as much as I like to try to stay economical, I'll do more searching another day including the brands you mentioned, because bargain cable is not a bargain if it has to be replaced soon.

GKLdiy88

Some of the Chinese cables are OK, but they really cut corners when they do the connector installation.

Yep, glancing at some of the reviews on different ones I do remember seeing some comments related to poor connector installation, so as good as the cable itself might be you still need dependable connectors.

GKLdiy88

Okay, sorry to bother you for another opinion, but one more for tonight, and it's not from Amazon :LOL:

DX Engineering RG-8X PL-259 Low-Loss 50-ohm Coax Cable

I'll miss the free shipping from Amazon, but not sure if Amazon has RG8 coax worth getting at a reasonable price.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
DX Engineering should be just fine. Those look like a soldered center conductor with a crimp outer conductor. That should be good.

Or:

A bit more money, but the LMR-240 is a good cable. This is the "Ultra Flex" version, which adds some additional flex and a tiny bit more loss.
However, that's worth it. One of the things you do not want to do is use a really stiff cable and try to connect it directly to the radio. The strain it puts on the antenna jack is a bad, bad thing. It's also easier to route more flexible cable.

I think either one would be fine for 25 feet of run.

GKLdiy88

DX Engineering should be just fine. Those look like a soldered center conductor with a crimp outer conductor. That should be good.

Or:

A bit more money, but the LMR-240 is a good cable. This is the "Ultra Flex" version, which adds some additional flex and a tiny bit more loss.
However, that's worth it. One of the things you do not want to do is use a really stiff cable and try to connect it directly to the radio. The strain it puts on the antenna jack is a bad, bad thing. It's also easier to route more flexible cable.

I think either one would be fine for 25 feet of run.

Okay, thanks again, I'll ponder over both since you said either would be okay for 25 feet of run.

I try to allow time to think about different products/brands before eventually ordering as I like to be fairly confident before ordering anything instead of later wishing I ordered something else :LOL: