Freqs needed N. AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HH-65

Hey guys, I am coming up to Morgan & Madison County in a week or 2 and will be there for a week. Just wondering if anyone knows what the TVA & the Locks and push boats are running on, I looked everywhere for them but no luck. also will my pro -97 pick up the city of Huntsville. Much thanks guys.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Your 97 should be able to pick up Huntsville's system. I got it with a 246 a couple of years ago. I was analog then.

As to the TVA and other river traffic, I'd monitor the marine frequencies. TVA itself probably has their own system, but locks and such are marine.

scanrfan

N Ala Marine River Traffic

The best freq to check for a starter is the Ch 16 calling of 156.800 - most river traffic (barges & large boats) can be heard on this channel. They may move to another channel later. I lived in Demopolis, Al (Black Warior & Tombigbee) for several years and Ch 16 was what I listened to most of the time and would get a good bit of traffic with barges going thru the lock in Demopolis.:p

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
Initial contact with any Lock is made on Channel 16. Wilson switches to Channel 14 (Primary) or 13 (Secondary). Wheeler switches to Channel 12 (Primary) or 14 (Secondary). Guntersville switches to 14 (Primary) or 13 (Secondary). Each lock may use whatever marine channel the tow crews are on as well.

FYI, Wheeler Lock is in Lauderdale County, two counties west of Morgan County. Guntersville is in Marshall County one county east of south Madison County. Wilson Lock is in Lauderdale County, probably too far west to monitor from Morgan County.

Though TVA owns and maintains the lock facilities, the operation of the lock itself rests with the US Army Corp of Engineers.

Enjoy your trip to North Alabama HH-65!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.