Frequencies and Repeaters

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The rules would seem to contradict that. 47 CFR 95.1761(c) states:

That's actually interesting. Kenwood made quite a few Part 90/95 certified radios, and they can most definitely operate in the ham bands. In fact, I have several sitting right here in front of me. I wonder how they get away with it? The underlined rule does seem pretty clear.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Yes, but none of the part 90 radios mentioned that were also granted part 95 certification (such as the Kenwood TK-3180, TK-8180, etc) are marketed as amateur transceivers. The fact that they can be programmed there is based upon their designed operational frequency range.

bharvey2

That's actually interesting. Kenwood made quite a few Part 90/95 certified radios, and they can most definitely operate in the ham bands. In fact, I have several sitting right here in front of me. I wonder how they get away with it? The underlined rule does seem pretty clear.

I recall reading about losing part 95 listing if the frequencies can be adjusted externally (e.g. VFO or FPP) but don't remember seeing amateur radio called out specifically. My guess is (and it is my opinion only) that it is the frequency agility that the FCC was concerned about when it was written as was spelled out in the end of that section. Has anyone heard of the FCC acting on this? I'd be curious. Well, I leaned something new.

bryanharpold

Pretty bad when you accidentally get on SO or Fire Main with your ham call. They see the alias and already know "he forgot which mike he was grabbing, damn radio guys"
I have done that in the opposite direction. Seemed like I was always at work and when winding down to play around talk to some friends on gmrs and relax I realized I was using our fire call sign. I corrected it when I realized it but felt like an idiot lol.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I believe all those dual 90/95 certifications were granted pre-2017 (when the last major GMRS rule changes were made), but are grandfathered.