Frequencies: Dallas RACES/Skywarn & Allen PD/F&R

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouKnowWho

About 15 years ago, I got into monitoring the Dallas RACES/Skywarn and other ham radio activity at 146.88. After moving away for some time and returning 4 years ago, I've tried monitoring again but have had no luck; it's as if the activity has moved or become encrypted. I've emailed someone listed on their website a couple of times and am told they're still conducting activity as usual. I'm using an 800 MHz police scanner. Can anyone tell me how to pick them back up? I especially like to monitor during severe weather events.

Also, for those familiar with police scanner frequencies and where I can find them, I'm trying to locate Allen PD/F&R's frequencies.

Many thanks!

YouKnowWho

146.88 is still the primary Dallas County Skywarn frequency.

Could it be that I'm simply too far out from where the tower is that I can't pick up any transmission? I'm using a scanner that's about 15-20 years old and still works like a champ. I'm also in Allen, which is pretty high up in elevation compared to neighboring cities.

I don't know. I just want to be able to monitor weather reports from storm chasers and listen to other ham activity on occasion.

YouKnowWho

146.88 is still the primary Dallas County Skywarn frequency.

BTW, your call sign sounds familiar. By chance, back in the early- to mid-90s, did you ever communicate with WB5QZM or KC5GNI? That was also about the time the 145.15 frequency was used quite often, and they'd switch back and forth to that one.

Just curious. I may have you confused with someone else...

twjr80

Feed Provider
You should be able to hear the 146.88 repeater from Allen. I've hit the Dallas repeater from northern Collin County before using an HT.

YouKnowWho

Use 147.18 for Collin Co ARES. Lots of activity here.

Also, explore the database, you'll find a lot of what you're looking for.

Collin County Frequencies

Russell

Gotcha! I'll try that one as well. Used to monitor that freq back in the day too.

You should be able to hear the 146.88 repeater from Allen. I've hit the Dallas repeater from northern Collin County before using an HT.

I'll see what I can hear tomorrow evening when the nightly check-in happens around 6 (I think). Sorry, I can't remember what the formal title is. Been way too long... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.