Frequencies for an emergency/disastor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0381

In case of a major emergency/disastor, buisnesses closed, no electricity, travel restricted, etc, what ANALOG frequencies would you want to have programed into your scaneer. Could I ask also which frequencies in the Middlesex area (Middletown) would be nice to have.

Thanks

Chris

Southtown800

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i would think a minor disaster would go through the fire department and police department frequncies, but other than that, anything like a nuke bombing or anyything huge would go through Emergency managment, check the RR database for the area freqs. but i know they are VHF,

jim202

Emergency frequencies

There are a number of radio frequencies that have been set aside by the FCC for
radio mutual aid or interoperability. These channels are in all three of the major
bands. VHF, UHF and 800 MHz. You will hear some agencies refer to them as the
CALL and TAC channels. They have not been adopted by all agencies around the
country yet, but the use is growing.

VHF
VCALL 155.7525
VTAC1 151.1375
VTAC2 154.4525
VTAC3 158.7375
VTAC4 159.4725

UHF
UCAll 453.2125
UTAC1 453.4625
UTAC2 453.7175
UTAC3 453.8625

8CALL 866.0125
8TAC1 866.5125
8TAC2 867.0125
8TAC3 867.5125
8TAC4 868.0125

The 800 channels will change after the NEXTEL rebanding takes place in the next 2
years or so and will move down 15 MHz.

rbm

Although I'm not in CT, here's what I found over the last two weeks in my area.

Two weeks ago (June 27th & 28th) in the Binghamton, NY area there was severe flooding and cleanup is still going on. Thousands of homes were destroyed and a major highway and bridges were washed away.

I kept more than 20 scanners running and they were all very busy.

Some of the news articles and photos are here:
http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=flood

Here are some the groups/frequencies that were very active in addition to the typical PD, Fire, and EMS frequencies. I'm sure I've forgotten to include a few.

I'll try to keep it brief. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to add to this.

Some of these frequencies were rarely active prior to this.

Local Gas & Electric companies - Power lines were down and gas lines were washed out.

USCG Search & Rescue - I'm far from what I would consider 'normal' CG turf but they were quite active.

The local hospital security and paging frequencies. One hospital was flooded and they had to evacuate everyone to the other two hospitals in the area. Just today they are starting to move people back.

Army National Guard

Emergency Management
County EMA
State EMA
Federal EMA (FEMA)

American Red Cross - The national frequencies weren't very active but the local repeater was.
F1 Red Primary - 47.420
F2 Black Secondary - 47.500
F3 Tan Alternate - 47.460
F4 Yellow Backup - 47.660
F5 Orange Tac-1 - 47.540
F6 Blue Tac-2 - 47.620
F7 Purple Tac-3 - 47.580
Vestal,NY - WQDR808 - 453.200

Air & airport Frequencies:
Helicopters - 123.050 mhz - Lots of chatter
Airport Security
Medevac 155.265 (in this area)

All of the helicopters were active on the following local airport frequencies.
Tower
Approach 0-5000'
Clearance

Sate Police helicopters

FRS & GMRS - Very active, including rescue activities. More than I would have expected.

Salvation Army

Hams

CB Radio - Some communications within neighborhoods.

These were all very active and still are almost two weeks later. I normally consider these to be pretty boring. They've been very interesting lately.
Local Government
Local Departments of Public Works
Local Highway departments

Last edited:

Chris0381

Thanks RBM thats what I was looking for. I wasnt looking to jam a bunch of frequencies into the scanner in hopes of sorting them out during a potential emergency but looking for info on what organizations have in the past been active in an emergency and setting up a bank with their frequencies as a way for safety planning. Here in CT we have not have a true emergency for sometime just some river/stream over flows and nothing like NY since out 1956. 1938, 1936 disastors. We have theoretical planned emergency frequencies that realy are quite inactive and one organization has 20+ frequencies; it gets messy.

I saved your bookmark as there is a ton of stuff on that page.

Once again

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.