Frequencies for NYC sheriff

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLA2760

Does anyone know the system and frequencies for the NYC sheriff? I hear them occasionally coming over the NYPD system to say they are towing cars in a particular zone or they need emergency backup but I would like to monitor their regular radio traffic. Thanks in advance.

fdnyradio

Premium Subscriber
Hey Brother, maybe this will help a little bit. The NYC Sheriffs do operate on the jurisdiction they are operating in however they have their own talkgroups on the New 400Mhz NYC DoiTT Trucked Radio system which can be found here on Radioreference.com in the Database. Hope that helps

D

DaveNF2G

The sheriff in NYC does not patrol. The office performs the one constitutionally required duty of a sheriff in New York State - operating a jail.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
They patrol with a following of private tow trucks to find scofflaws and video tape everything as they hook up the vehicle.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
They also do process serving, collecting of judgements and siezures by court order, assist in evictions by court order, tax enforcement and
investigations including on tobacco products, civil arrests for contempt orders, civil arrests for Kendra's Law.

They actually do quite a bit, and are legally part of the NYC Department of Finance.

Last edited:

one11sgt

The sheriff in NYC does not patrol. The office performs the one constitutionally required duty of a sheriff in New York State - operating a jail.

Why do people insist on answering questions that they themselves do not know the answer to?
The NYC Sheriff DOES NOT run any jail. The NYC Correction Department does. The NYC Sheriff enforces civil law just as W2MJR said. See:
Sheriff Civil Law Enforcement

Last edited:

one11sgt

They patrol with a following of private tow trucks to find scofflaws and video tape everything as they hook up the vehicle.

That is the NYC Marshalls you are talking about, not the Sheriff.

lafd55

Is it safe to say that the Sheriffs can be compared to constables? Do they have the ability to make traffic stops and such as well?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Why do people insist on answering questions that they themselves do not know the answer to?

I'm pretty sure that's a prerequisite for being an active RR member. :twisted:

At least Dave is from NY, and not some out-of-stater jumping in trying to correct us. I've seen a fair bit of that around here. It always amuses me when some guy 3,500 miles away on the left coast thinks he knows what he's talking about because he listened to a few audio feeds or took a look at some FCC licenses. :roll:

emcomm

The NYC Marshall does many things but especially impounds cars, especially at night, when they run license plates of hundreds of cars, usually in a several block square radius. Then the tow rucks take the cars to an open area a few blocks away until they package them up for transport to yards.

The NYC Sherriff enforces civil laws.

The Marshall are not law enforcement officers, the Sheriffs are.

I dated the ex-wife of a NYC Marshall, she said his life (schedule) was pure hell.

Attachments

• nyc112.jpg
    nyc112.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 8,397
  • 3023-02.jpg
    3023-02.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 5,723
  • 3024-1.jpg
    3024-1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 4,750
D

DaveNF2G

I'm pretty sure that's a prerequisite for being an active RR member. :twisted:

At least Dave is from NY, and not some out-of-stater jumping in trying to correct us. I've seen a fair bit of that around here. It always amuses me when some guy 3,500 miles away on the left coast thinks he knows what he's talking about because he listened to a few audio feeds or took a look at some FCC licenses. :roll:

Evidently whoever was teaching Police Administration when I took it was wrong.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
That is the NYC Marshalls you are talking about, not the Sheriff.

NYC Sheriff does actually do vehicle location and impound in their capacity as being part of the Department of Finance. In a very specific way though. While the Marshals troll for cars, the Sheriff will seek out specific vehicles that the DOF has successfully gotten a court judgement against for unpaid parking and traffic violations owed to the City of New York. Usually in excess of $2000.

They're also responsible for the sale of all vehicles in city tow pound which are unclaimed or abandoned.

I do believe the Sheriff's can make traffic stops, but I seem to remember something or another about only if the vehicle or occupant(s) are related to something they have been assigned.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
W2MJR:

So are the NYC Sheriffs Police Officers or Peace Officers?

comspec

Evidently whoever was teaching Police Administration when I took it was wrong.

That is what always happens when you try to take the general to the specific.

In General, the 'Sheriff" is the chief law enforecement officer of the county and therefore, usually runs the county jail.

In NYC's case, there are actually 5 counties in one city, so trying to apply the usual rules will always get you into trouble. NYC makes up its own rules.

The title "Sheriff" is being used and the closest it comes to the historic use of term is that the office functions are the enforement arm for the civil courts. (Think Sheriff of Nottingham not Andy Taylor)

When NYC Finance wins a Civil Judgement in Court, they need guys with guns and badges to collect.

I take it they are not popular. You may hate the police, but they are also the ones to come when you get hurt or you are the victim. The only "victim" the sheriff helps is NYC itself.

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
I forgot all abouit the Sherriffs.. I have not seen one in ages... the last tiome i saw one they were trying to figure out how to tow an exotic car that was being impounded for one reason or another..

Status
Not open for further replies.