frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfox540

I'm new at this digital, I have the talkgroup Numbers for Colonial Heights, VA. But, I can not find the frequency Numbers for the (police) dept. Do I still need them?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
yes, they are in the table for this system.

You will normally only need to load the control channels to receive the system. These are shown in red (primary) and blue (alt) (these are not always correct, but the CC will almost always be one of those listed [unless they have added new frequencies]). It looks like you will need to use Chesterfield County frequencies to get Colonial Heights. Anyone in that area care to verify that.

You will know if you've got it right when you start seeing your talk groups show up in the display and you hear audio.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I scanned CH and Chesterfield on May 20 and Lynn is correct, red and blue Chesterfield freqs will do the job.

W4UVV

Here's how to do it with the 996

yes, they are in the table for this system.

You will normally only need to load the control channels to receive the system. These are shown in red (primary) and blue (alt) (these are not always correct, but the CC will almost always be one of those listed [unless they have added new frequencies]). It looks like you will need to use Chesterfield County frequencies to get Colonial Heights. Anyone in that area care to verify that.

You will know if you've got it right when you start seeing your talk groups show up in the display and you hear audio.

Create a separate system/site/group for listening ONLY to Colonial Heights. Setup as a conventional system giving the system, site and group name "COLONIAL HEIGHTS". Assign a system quick key if you wish. Select Motorola Type II 800 mhz. Standard. Enter all of the Chesterfield 800 mhz. trs frequencies but ONLY the Colonial Heights talk groups. It is not necessary to additionally program Richmond City and Henrico Co. frequencies as Chesterfield Co. frequencies get the vast majority of default interop activity from the other two trs which is unfair but reality. I additionally entered the Va. State talk groups as a personal preference. Do an "ID scan" but not a "search scan". Do not select "Control Channel Only". It works great for me and was especially interesting to hear normally "dead" CH talk groups active in the recent "mini" tornado damage in the Southpark Mall area.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Create a separate system/site/group for listening ONLY to Colonial Heights. Setup as a conventional system giving the system, site and group name "COLONIAL HEIGHTS". Assign a system quick key if you wish. Select Motorola Type II 800 mhz. Standard. Enter all of the Chesterfield 800 mhz. trs frequencies but ONLY the Colonial Heights talk groups. It is not necessary to additionally program Richmond City and Henrico Co. frequencies as Chesterfield Co. frequencies get the vast majority of default interop activity from the other two trs which is unfair but reality. I additionally entered the Va. State talk groups as a personal preference. Do an "ID scan" but not a "search scan". Do not select "Control Channel Only". It works great for me and was especially interesting to hear normally "dead" CH talk groups active in the recent "mini" tornado damage in the Southpark Mall area.

The only thing I'd disagree on here is entering all the system frequencies. But this is a matter of choice. Using the control channel mode allows you to enter fewer frequencies. If you have a scanner with a limited memory level, this is the direction to go.

A trunked radio runs off its control channel. When a radio keys up, the control channel hears (sic) it and assigns a frequency from those available. It then tells all the other radios on that talk group the assigned frequency so those radios can hear the transmission.

The scanner does the same thing whether in CC mode or not. It stops and listens to the CC if there is no activity, then the scanner continues scanning. The more frequencies it has to scan through though can slow down capturing the CC and finding a transmission.

Entering all the frequencies ensures that you will not miss calls if they system alternates control channels outside of those listed as control channels. Now I will caveat this. There are rare occasions when a system will add new frequencies and the control channels could change due to this. This is relatively rare.

Again, how you enter the frequencies is your call. You need to weigh the advantages of each option and decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.