frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

screamineagle

You will find all your frequencies here at RR under database, might help if we knew what scanner you are using and what city also. Take it you are new to scanning and to this site. I am in Verona and most of the members here in Va are very experienced with most radios and areas that they live in, so welcome and try the database first and good luck.

jaxson08

Thanks

Yes I am new here. I live in Newport News and I am using a BC95. I checked the database but have to be a paid member to do that. Thanks for any help

RBMTS

Welcome to RR and the Virginia group. You don't need to be a paid subscriber to view info in the database, it's open to everyone. You would need to subscribe if you wanted to download data to any of the scanner software programs, but not to view the data.

Here is the link to get to the database for the Newport News trunking system: Newport News Trunking System, Newport News, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

Have fun. If you need any help just ask.

RBMTS

jaxson08

help

I have noticed on my scanner I can only program up to six digits in for a frequency but i noticed that most frequencies are eigth digits. what do i need to do? I just got my scanner for Christmas do I need to program it first?

jaxson08

I have noticed that most frequencies are 8 digits but my scanner will only allow me to put 6 in. What do I need to do? Does it need programming? My wife bought it for me for Christmas.

bobmintern

Your Uniden BC95XLT is not a trunking scanner, you can enter the 800Mhz NN frequencies, but you will be unable to follow most conversations due to your scanner not being a trunking scanner. You can scan conventional channels though, York County, Hampton, City of Williamsburg and James City all simulcast their Fire Department Dispatch channels on conventional, single frequencys. Check the database for the conventional freqencies. Most police departments do not simulcast anymore so you are pretty much out of luck if you want NN police. The VSP I think are still on simulcast VHF, check the database for those frequencies as well. Good luck!

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
ok so what are sum good trunking scanners

That all depends on what you are wanting to hear for the most part. Most of the cities in Hampton Roads operate on Analog systems. So you would be safe getting a Uniden BCD346XT, a Radio Shack Pro-164, or a GRE PSR-300.

There are some agencies in our area that do operate on Digital systems, Like Chesapeake Police, STARs (State Police), and most Military Bases (Like NOB Norfolk and NNSY Portsmouth). If you are interested in monitoring those you will need a Radio that can decode digital voice like a Uniden BCD39xt, a Radio Shack Pro-197, or a GRE PSR-500.

Here is a link to for a list of:
Analog Scanners: Category:Analog Trunktrackers - The RadioReference Wiki

Digital Scanners: Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Personally, I use a BCD396XT. I monitor the Seven Cities plus STARs and NOB, Little Creek , and Oceana.
But take into consideration that if you do decide to go with a Digital Scanner you are looking close to $500.00. You just have to weigh the pros and cons.

Hope this helps you a little.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Since OP lives in Newport News include Langley AFB plus York/Poquoson/Williamsburg/James City County and soon Gloucester County to digital trunking. We also have Hampton Roads Emergency system ORION, covering from Williamsburg area to NC line on digital.

jaxson08

So I have to buy a new scanner? I cant buy a program to update the scanner I have now?

K4APR

Can I buy a program to make my scanner a trunking scanner?

The difference between a non-trunking analog, trunking analog and trunking digital scanner is not just in the software. Yes, it has a lot to do with it, but there are considerable hardware differences as well. You can't simply flash the scanner with magic firmware to transform it into somthing it was not designed to do.

As others have stated, you are in a mixed analog/digital area with the analog quickly making the switch to digital. My advice to you, return or sell the scanner the wife bought you and put that money into a good digital trunking scan. My personal favorite is the PRO-107 from RadioShack. Explain to your wife that you appreciate what she did, but it is basically useless to you and you need to get a more capable unit for your area (trust me, she will understand :D )

Well, useless is a harsh word and not 100% correct. You do have some conventional stuff around you, but without the scanner being AT LEAST analog trunking capable, you can't even listen to Newport News (Motorola SmartNet) or Hampton (EDACS Standard Wide). So go with at least somthing trunking, but seriously consider putting the money into the digital unit. Down the road, you will be happy that you spent the extra money on somthing you WILL need for sure.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
The difference between a non-trunking analog, trunking analog and trunking digital scanner is not just in the software. Yes, it has a lot to do with it, but there are considerable hardware differences as well. You can't simply flash the scanner with magic firmware to transform it into somthing it was not designed to do.

As others have stated, you are in a mixed analog/digital area with the analog quickly making the switch to digital. My advice to you, return or sell the scanner the wife bought you and put that money into a good digital trunking scan. My personal favorite is the PRO-107 from RadioShack. Explain to your wife that you appreciate what she did, but it is basically useless to you and you need to get a more capable unit for your area (trust me, she will understand :D )

Well, useless is a harsh word and not 100% correct. You do have some conventional stuff around you, but without the scanner being AT LEAST analog trunking capable, you can't even listen to Newport News (Motorola SmartNet) or Hampton (EDACS Standard Wide). So go with at least somthing trunking, but seriously consider putting the money into the digital unit. Down the road, you will be happy that you spent the extra money on somthing you WILL need for sure.
Other then Pro-107, great reply Jason. Did you mean Pro-106 or 197? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.