Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JW

New to Mil-Air scanning! I have several MilAir ARTCC frequencies programmed in my scanner, but I don't hear anything. Are there other frequencies that may be in use in my area that I can listen to? Where should I look to find them?

I'm located in Central Kentucky, close to the Bluegrass Army Depot. There isn't much aircraft traffic there, but I do see military helicopters flying training from time to time. I also caught an aerial refueling flying over my house, but didn't have a scanner hooked up at the time to hear anything. It was pretty cool to see though!

Mike445

New to Mil-Air scanning! I have several MilAir ARTCC frequencies programmed in my scanner, but I don't hear anything. Are there other frequencies that may be in use in my area that I can listen to? Where should I look to find them?
I'm located in Central Kentucky, close to the Bluegrass Army Depot. There isn't much aircraft traffic there, but I do see military helicopters flying training from time to time. I also caught an aerial refueling flying over my house, but didn't have a scanner hooked up at the time to hear anything. It was pretty cool to see though!

It’s been completely dead since the 23rd. I’ve been scanning nonstop for the last little while and there has literally been nothing.

Look in the database under nationwide, there is a list of common aeronautical military frequencies and many are quite busy. As I said the last few days surrounding Christmas there has been little to no action. you pretty much started listening at the wrong time is all. Don’t be discouraged and don’t give up. Put in all the uhf ARTCC frequencies in the database for Kentucky. Check to see if there are any Air Force bases within a few hundred miles and put in their frequencies as well. i’m out hunting right now but when I get home I might be able to help you a little more.
Mike

Mike445

I also meant to ask you what scanner are you using and what kind of antenna? An outdoor antenna really makes a huge difference. Here is my setup for mil air. The copper pipe antenna is a slim Jim antenna with a center frequency of 222mhz. It has a very low noise floor and really brings in the distant signals. You can have one of these for around $40. The other antenna (on the pvc pipe) is a dual band slim Jim made of ladder wire. I use it for public safety, military air and ham monitoring. The discone (Centerfire Deluxe Discone) is an inexpensive ($40ish) and VERY good quality discone that is more broadband than the copper pipe slim Jim and does very well on all bands. The noise floor is higher but if you only want one antenna to monitor many scanner bands I will highly recommend this one. If you want one specifically to monitor Military air I recommend the copper SlimJim. These are my 2 favorite antennas! Here are links to both:
Copper slim Jim 222mhz center frequency:

Centerfire Deluxe Discone (now Shrike mini discone):

Attachments

• 0A027ED8-635F-4EF5-B408-D379C4EB23F7.jpeg
    0A027ED8-635F-4EF5-B408-D379C4EB23F7.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 70D1C9E6-CC4F-432F-8895-24994E1B924E.jpeg
    70D1C9E6-CC4F-432F-8895-24994E1B924E.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 44
Status
Not open for further replies.