frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

car2back

with the appropriate equipment yes, you can transmit illegally on any UHF frequency of your choice, Landon.

landonjensen

So on these radios you can change the freqs, but it would be illegal to transmit? How about gmrs or murs?

CommShrek

landonjensen said:
So on these radios you can change the freqs, but it would be illegal to transmit? How about gmrs or murs?

You'd have to ask the guys that are in the helicopter flying around your house about that one. :lol:

landonjensen

If you arnt going to reply to my radio question Commshrek, then please dont reply at all.
Thanks

car2back

seriously, it's my understanding that it's illegal to use a radio not type approved by the FCC to transmit on another band (such as using a public saftey/ business radio on GMRS & MURS)

I maybe wrong though, I am sure someone more qualified will let you know for sure before long.

Lobstah_Guy

Gmrs/murs

landonjensen said:
Since these radios are on UHF you can forget about using them
on MURS, but you should be able to program them for GMRS.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
landonjensen said:

They can be programmed. However, you will need to apply for a license to transmit.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Bear in mind,that if you do decide to have these programmed that they would be
type accepted for only gmrs repeater outputs or simplex ch.
It would be illegal to program these for frs channels,meaning ch. 8-14
or the 467mhz. splits.
Just FYI is all.
N9ZAS

kf4lne

Many radios that were type accepted for use in bands that were once covered under part 90 are still legal to use under the new part 95 rules for that same band. VHF SP50 radios should be legal for use under the MURS rules provided they are used at 2 watts or less and the UHF models should be legal for use by a licensed GMRS user. You cannot use them for FRS radios. They should also be legal for use in the UHF dot and star frequencies provided you have the proper authorization.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
phil_smith said:
seriously, it's my understanding that it's illegal to use a radio not type approved by the FCC to transmit on another band (such as using a public saftey/ business radio on GMRS & MURS)

I maybe wrong though, I am sure someone more qualified will let you know for sure before long.

You can use any Public Safety/Business radio to transmit in the GMRS range as long as you have a license. You can't use a HAM radio outside of the HAM bands, but you can use a commercial radio in the HAM band.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
I believe the rule for Part 90 exceptance was before 1998 or something similar. If the SP50's listed were Part 90 excepted before '98 or whatever the exceptance date is, it should be legal to use these on the GMRS frequencies. However these probably shouldn't be used on the FRS frequencies.

Programming them requires the /\/\ SP50 RSS, which, is illegal to get aside from signing /\/\'s scary and long licensing agreement. On top of that you'll need a RIB-box and the proper programming cable...for more information check http://www.batlabs.com

flydream777

We used to use SP50 radios programmed in the 466 range, they were 16 channels instead of 10. We only used two of the channels, and we were going to get a third one programmed in that would allow us to communicate with mall security, which was on 463.95. No one mentioned anything about a license, maybe because we had their permission, but they told us that it would cost $75 per radio to program the freq in.

Last edited:

kd7rto

landonjensen said:
If you arnt going to reply to my radio question Commshrek, then please dont reply at all.
Thanks
Landon, if Commshrek's sarcasm doesn't get the message across, let's try telling you flat out. Your constant, "What's this", "What's that", questions are a nuisance. Until you are prepared to participate here on a more mature and intelligent level, please stop posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.