Frequency coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubicon134

I acquired a gently used but well maintained 996XT, accompanying documents indicate it is a plug and play, I'm new to the digital scanner world, so I would like to know WHY it does not pick up any local traffic operating on the pre-programmed 800 frequencies ? It was located 1 1/2 hrs from my current location originally and from what little I could obtain from the display, programmed to Allen County Ohio agencies around Lima. Do I have to delete that programming ? Were the pre-programmed frequencies deleted by the programming installed ? In my mind, those were programmed into it in addition to the pre-programmed frequencies ?

JamesO

Any of the pre-programmed info in the 996/396 series of scanners is WAY out of date and is not likely usable for most systems.

You need to search the Database here for most current system information and consider software to program the radio. While it can be programmed by hand, software is far faster and easier. Butel ARC-XT, Pro-Scan and FreeScan are a few programs to consider.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
It sounds like your scanner is not properly set up for the frequencies used in your area. The "plug and play" features of the 996XT are related to certain types of services and are VERY generalized. FCC rules now allow certain users to apply for unused frequencies in other, unrelated radio services, so it's possible that your local PD could be using one or more non-police frequencies . Additionally, such features do not allow for advancements such as multi-agency trunked radio systems.

In order to listen to specific agencies in your area, you'll need to customize your experience by programming in the frequencies/users/systems relating to your specific location and your particular interests. You will then have a much more efficient and enjoyable setup by not scanning through hundreds (or thousands) of frequencies that are of no consequence to you.

Reading your original post, I wasn't sure if you wanted to listen to Allen County agencies or not. However, in checking the Ohio section of the RadioReference database, I found the following note...

Allen County Sheriff's Office, Lima Fire and Police Departments, American Township Fire Department, Bath Township Fire Department, Bluffton Fire and Police Departments, Shawnee Township Fire and Police Departments are using the Ohio MARCS trunked radio system.

I guess the upshot of all this is that you need to visit the OHIO section of this web site and determine which agencies you wish to monitor and which frequencies/systems they utilize so that you can program your scanner properly. If any of your targets employ the MARCS system (a statewide radio system that is pretty complex), you may need to study up on programming trunked systems into your scanner or find someone local to assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.