frequency help??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ervin1

when programming a conventional frequency if the type is (bm) should i program both the input and output frequencies??????????? any help would be welcome

ervin1

i am listening to d.p.s. i can hear peirce,victoria, corpus christi dispatch clearly in all locations but no patrol units which seems amazing to me for the simple fact i am 25 miles to the nearest dispatch which is in victoria and am using a 396t with a radio-shack 800mhz rubber duck. I can hear both analog and p-25 dispatches clearly

nd5y

In most areas you need both frrequencies for the DPS.
You probably will not be able to hear mobiles more than a few miles away.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
ervin1 said:
i am listening to d.p.s. i can hear peirce,victoria, corpus christi dispatch clearly in all locations but no patrol units which seems amazing to me for the simple fact i am 25 miles to the nearest dispatch which is in victoria and am using a 396t with a radio-shack 800mhz rubber duck. I can hear both analog and p-25 dispatches clearly
Part of the problem is that the entire DPS section here on the DB is overly complicated and not listed correctly. The Duplex channels have an input listed which is incorrect. The input frequency column is supposed to be used only for repeater pairs, not duplex pairs (in accordance with our submission guidelines put out by Lindsay). Where it is listed that way, for example the main DPS dispatch pair (155.4600 / 154.6800) as Tom says, you need to put both of them in your scanner as the dispatch transmits on 155.4600 and the mobiles transmit on 154.6800 and in most places are not repeated on the dispatch frequency. Beaumont has been repeating DPS1 since the storms last year and occasionally (just lately) Houston will do it also.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
nd5y said:
How are they supposed to be listed if "Input" isn't for a mobile transmit frequency?
Well it is not as simple as that, is it?

For a repeater, you list the pair, that is why the column says "Input". If you mouse over the column head you will see that is what the column is for.

For a Duplex operation you use two lines, one for the base, one for the mobile. Now before anyone thinks that is silly, consider this:
  • Each side of a communication in a Duplex (not repeated) System is only one side of the conversation and only on one frequency.
  • In a Simplex situation, both sides use the same frequency, so you should only have one frequency involved and it should only appear in the Frequency column; you will find errors in this regard also in the DB (with the same frequency in both columns).
  • The Web Service provided to subscribers only sends the Frequency column out, so anyone using that to load their scanner is missing half the story on all the DPS Duplex channels. Note the Web Service is correct in this regard, because by definition you don't need the "Input" frequency to monitor a channel.
Common sense dictates that there is no "input" on a non-repeated frequency pair, but new scanner users don't have the experience to recognize such errors.

ervin1

thnks loumag the reason i brought up this question is because i read in the wiki to enter both but was confused when i looked in the database

ervin1

i have entered both frequencies into the 396t and im picking up traffic both base and mobile out of victoria d.p.s. (p-25) . Guess the other mobiles are to far of a distance out of corpus christi and peirce thnks for the help guys

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ervin1 said:
i have entered both frequencies into the 396t and im picking up traffic both base and mobile out of victoria d.p.s. (p-25) . Guess the other mobiles are to far of a distance out of corpus christi and peirce thnks for the help guys
Ervin, if you haven't already, also enter the output frequencies listed under "RM" for Pierce and Corpus
These are duplicated (reused) in various locations, but are grouped around 159.0900 and 159.2100. There's a couple just off those frequencies as well, like 159.2175 and 159.0975, which are narrowband FM (FMN) listings.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
hiegtx said:
Ervin, if you haven't already, also enter the output frequencies listed under "RM" for Pierce and Corpus
These are duplicated (reused) in various locations, but are grouped around 159.0900 and 159.2100. There's a couple just off those frequencies as well, like 159.2175 and 159.0975, which are narrowband FM (FMN) listings.
Add 155.5350 to that list. I know of at least two repeaters on that one.

ervin1

thanks guys yu have been very helpful i will enter those frequencies as well

Status
Not open for further replies.