Frequency hopping signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

Anyone have any knowledge of or has any experience in what a frequency hopping signal sounds like?

I am experiencing what I would interpret to be a frequency hopping signal, whether it is or not I don't really know. It always comes over frequencies in the 410 to 415 Mhz area that I have programmed on my radio. which would be OPP and MOH. What I get is one quick burst on any given frequency, all I hear is like one word or even a half a word, also the signal is strong but I don't think it is from over modulation. I have been hearing this for about the last year.

Moonbounce

mancow

Database Admin
I suppose it's possible. I have some vhf hoppers that will sound similar to that when set to the lowest setting. However, I have heard similar things due to intermod from high power nearby transmitters. It causes that brief blip of a conversation like you described. Around here it's the rail yard transmitters a few miles away that seem to cause it the most. Can you try to post some audio recordings if you can catch any?

Last edited:

moonbounce

I am not sure how I would get that signal from the radio to the computer?

I also thought that it could be that a transmitter is overpowering the radio ( pro 2020 not overly good at rejecting strong signals ) but I don't think that it is a problem because all I get is a word or half a word usually if it is caused by a too strong signal, you will hear more than half a word or a single word, that is why I think it might be freq. hopping, just a guess.

Moonbounce

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It's more than likely due to intermod just briefly bleeding thru. Can be really bad in some areas on some scanners.

gary123

If it is freq hopping you should get a regular peice of audio on the freq. Most frq hopers use the same rotation. Most frq hoppers run a lot faster inorder not to advertise thier presence and anything in the last 10 years or so also run in digital modes.

I agree with the general concensus here its probably intermod.

Status
Not open for further replies.