Frequency Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

KARS

Feed Provider
Our small rural community is using what I call the splinter frequencies for police and fire.
154.19750 203.5PL
155.16750 141.3PL
154.24250 136.5PL

Not just for this but I have been looking to buy the BcD996T but after looking at the instruction manual I see that for Hi VHF it tunes in 5kHz steps

Seems to me for these frequencies I need 2.5kHz steps. Am I understanding this correctly.

If not how does the 996 tune these frequencies. Most scanners wont let you put in the 4th digit from the key pad. ie my old Pro 2006

Thanks for the help......

Steve

doctordave

Steve,

The BC996 & the BC396 will do a fine job of receiving those Kent MD freqs. When you program the radios via software (the easy way to program them), you need only select "NFM" which corresponds to "narrow FM." The radio appears to adjust the steps accordingly (as opposed to the 296/796, for example, in which case you have to specifically choose the steps in order to get those freqs to enter properly).

I routinely monitor Kent from Northern Balt Co on these radios and am pleased w/ the performance.

KARS

Feed Provider
Thanks very much for the quick response.....that's good news...u refer to software control - which of the software packages would you recommend for this radio.....

Appreciate ur help! Dave are u located in MD?

Steve

doctordave

Steve,

I just use the included Uniden software for my 396s & 996s. Works well...piece of cake to set up. I have my files the same for all of these radios...keeps things simple. I'm in Balt County & monitor Kent regularly. Both of these models work nicely - quite impressed w/ the sensitivity of the 996s on VHF High....my 396s are OK in this regard. You'll appreciate the ability to punch up QA County digital 800 as well as DE 800 digital....easily received from where you are. Cecil County's upcoming digital system will NOT be monitorable w/ present technology. Feel free to PM me for any additional help.

KARS

Feed Provider
Thanks for the info and help Dave.....after ur post yesterday I went and ordered the 996...it should arrive today. I'm anxious to give it a try.....I retired a PRO 2006 about a year ago and the ham radio vhf/uhf rigs just don't cut it so I figured if everyone is so positive about this radio, it's the way to go. OK on the software, I'll try it. Seems to be a lot of interest in the Butel products. It's very kind of you to offer me help in PM. I just may need it since this will be my first attempt in trunking and digital. I also thought I should be able to get a lot of the Federal stuff with Annapolis, the Academy and Washington just down the road. Finally the other thing I'm interested in is to stream audio for my weather web site...... www.belcak.com take a look.
I'm retired over here on the Eastern Shore.....take a look the website will give you an idea of my location.
Thanks again for your help.
Steve

D

DaveNF2G

One comment from the original posting - the splinter step on VHF is 7.5 kHz, not 2.5. If you have the step sizes configured correctly, the scanner will not allow you to tune frequencies that are not actual allocated channels.

doctordave

Steve, Glad to hear that you ordered the radio.....from Rock Hall, you'll be able to pull in a great deal of MD/DE/DC/NJ/PA systems. Feel free to PM when you get your radio. The Butel products are fancy, but in my opinion, the Uniden software is quite adequate & a snap to use. Nice weather web page....are you hoping to stream 996 audio onto your site?

Status
Not open for further replies.