Frequency suggestions for 396T scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltman34

Hello all,

I live in San Diego but have a 8yr old nephew that loves the police. He lives in St. John's area of Portland. I know Portland PD is encrypted. What about the sheriff or FD? I could put in the frequencies for PDX. Any other suggestions that the BCD 396T can pick up? Thanks in advance.

wtp

FRS/GMRS/MURS, CCRs
civilian air
military air
businesses
railroad
marine

common business

DEA, FBI,the little guys

inter-op

common public safety

military air

CCR's- cheap chinese radios

and some might add more.
todd

ScottPDX

Premium Subscriber
I live in SE PDX on the East side of Mount Tabor. My little brother to your 396 is my BC346XT Analog Trunker. With it I listen to analog Clackamas County CCOM (aka. Oregon City PD) and still some analog Oregon State Police. I don’t listen to FD but that too would be analog.

boltman34

I live in SE PDX on the East side
FRS/GMRS/MURS, CCRs
civilian air
military air
businesses
railroad
marine

common business

DEA, FBI,the little guys

inter-op

common public safety

military air

CCR's- cheap chinese radios

and some might add more.
todd
Thanks Todd

boltman34

Can the BCD 396T pick up PPB or are they simulcast? I see there are west and east simulcast for those talkgroups. Thanks for the replies.

wtp

and the international space station (ISS)
The following frequencies are currently used for Amateur Radio ISS contacts (QSOs):
Voice and SSTV Downlink: 145.80 (Worldwide)
Voice Uplink: 144.49 for ITU Regions 2 and 3 (The Americas, and the Pacific and Southern Asia)
Voice Uplink: 145.20 for ITU Region 1 (Europe, Russia and Africa)
VHF Packet Uplink and Downlink: 145.825 (Worldwide)
UHF Packet Uplink and Downlink: 437.550
VHF/UHF Repeater Uplink: 145.99 (PL 67 Hz)
VHF/UHF Repeater Downlink: 437.80
uplink is sent up to the ISS and the downlink is sent to earth.

so you might want to listen to
145.8 slow scan TV it sounds like a long screech.
145.825 packet it sounds like a short screech.
437.55 UHF packet short screech
437.8 repeater (voice?)

and to find them.

i have 5 radios on all day with these in some of them.
it is VERY rare to hear anything.
especially voice.
the packet is automatic,, they send it up and it comes back down with ARISS attached or something like that.
there is a hookup for the audio of a radio and a program in a computer to see the TV stuff and i think the packet stuff, but i never tried it.

keep busy
todd

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
No, your 396T can NOT pick up any Portland Police dispatch channels. They are all encrypted. The Fire Dept is in the clear, but the p25 system is simulcast, so your older radio is not going to get great reception of the Portland trunk system. Broken, choppy and dropped signals will be what you'll receive. Newer radios like the SDS series from Uniden work well with this system. Someone mentioned neighboring Clackamas County. That system is still analog so you'd have a shot at receiving it, but St. Johns is a fair distance from Clackamas or Washington counties (Washington Co. also analog still) so it's hard to say. In Clark County in Washington state all law enforcement is encrypted.
Hope that helps.

Edit to add that Multnomah County Sheriff / Gresham PD is not encrypted (yet). However they are on the portland simulcast system so you will struggle to hear them on your 396T. Oregon State police can still be heard on analog VHF channels. Washington State patrol is p25 conventional and is not encrypted.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest starting out with just OSP 154.935 in the Portland area. You should consider the emotional aspect of an 8 year old listening to the hard core crime that will be dispatched by other agencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.