Frequency war going on @ 3875

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9GC

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've spent many, many enjoyable hours listening to the hate and discontent on 3875 kHz over the years. ;) Every now and then I've even had some enjoyable discussions on the frequency with "Head Possum" Mike AE4FB.

Over nearly a decade of the "3875 Experience," their "Possum Net" has taught me two important things: 1) The FCC doesn't care enough about the bunch of feisty, angry or otherwise miserable old men or their regular QRM'ers to do much about it, and 2) if you don't like what you hear, simply give the VFO a spin. Works every time.

elk2370bruce

Mayber the same unidentified boogers who hung out on 14.275 and chased away the dx. One guy used to make believe that he was identifying his call via a automatic or Vibroplex bug. No it must have been an automatic paddle because the jibbrish he sent would melt the bug into smoldering ashes,

SCPD

QRT
The effective way to self police the bands

Why not try what was done up here in Michigan to run off a potty mouth:

Don't bother with the FCC.
Make an audio cd of how they are talking and acting on the air.
Then send copies of the cd to the ham's neighbors, and the city/township hall.
This was actually done up here.
The township gently "forced" the ham to get out of the hobby.
He initially tried to pull a "I only kowtow to the FCC" line, but after he kept getting stopped and wrote up for little offenses, he came to his senses, took everything down, and sold his stuff.

So if these HF shenanigans really do bother you, start recording.
If you can catch a call (and I know that's hard on 80), mail off cd's.

K4APR

80 Meters: Where the morons congregate.

If your serious about enjoying the HF aspect of the hobby, stick to 10,17 and 40 meters.

W9GC

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps you're thinking of 75m... It's generally a dumpster overflowing with imbecilic morons. 80m is a great band with far less ignorance, QRM and "CB" mentality. Upgrade your license and drop in sometime!

Darth_vader

"Do some research and you'll be amazed and shocked at how some of these HAMs act. They usually either come into the hobby already with bad habits and never break them, or they are the older HAMs that feel that 'I've been a HAM for 80 years and I can do whatever I want.' I would say wait it out until the old timers die and it will get better, but that's not going to happen. Those HAMs provide a bad image of what the hobby is, and because they get away with it."

Yeah, I know; I've said that before on here and you should see some of the arguments I've gotten into...

Undoubtedly, the ones doing the arguing strongly recognise themselves and their own ways in my descriptions.

F.Y.I., the way people describe 3 MHz in this thread is how 140/400 was when I was in it; only in my years of monitoring 140/400 I've not heard of them jamming the others with music.

"If you don't like what you hear, simply give the tuning dial a spin. Works every time."

+1

K4APR

Perhaps you're thinking of 75m... It's generally a dumpster overflowing with imbecilic morons. 80m is a great band with far less ignorance, QRM and "CB" mentality. Upgrade your license and drop in sometime!

75/80, it's all the same shallow end of the pool. I hear zero difference between the clowns on either end. I have a general license. I can come up there anytime I want to and I choose not to.

K4APR

I like 17 too. I never heard any nonsense on there, and it seems to be a younger crowd just happy to make contacts.

17 has quickly become one of my favorite HF bands. Lots of really friendly guys on there. I notice many English/Irish/Scottish like the band and I enjoy talking to them. Very friendly people!

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
75 is crowded for sure with lots of idiots. It's unbelievable at times. But, if you are persistent and tune around enough you can find intelligent and technical conversations going on. It's there. You just have search for it.

I like to hang on 17,15,12and 10 meters in the daytime. At night I'm a newbe on 160. Folks down there seem to welcome any new comers they can get. None of the nonsense of 75.

Hamster144

75/80, it's all the same shallow end of the pool. I hear zero difference between the clowns on either end. I have a general license. I can come up there anytime I want to and I choose not to.
your general license does not give you 80 meter voice privileges. only 75 meter. i think thats what he meant by upgrade your license

zz0468

QRT
Banned
your general license does not give you 80 meter voice privileges. only 75 meter. i think thats what he meant by upgrade your license

Makes sense. The Extra portions of the band are usually pretty well behaved. It's easy enough to find the nonsense on 75 meters, but it's even easier to find a spot where it's not like that. You can see whatever you want to see.

Makes sense. The Extra portions of the band are usually pretty well behaved. It's easy enough to find the nonsense on 75 meters, but it's even easier to find a spot where it's not like that. You can see whatever you want to see.

I think that's what was meant by the term "incentive licensing."

Witgh the idiots we've been talking about, it should be insensitive licensing. Nice people on cw and PSK all around the world.
I need to get back into that. When I first got licensed, that's all I did was CW. I had a Heathkit DX-60, HR-10, and the VFO. Someone lent me a Vibroplex Bug and that was it. Somewhere in the early 80s after I got my first job and was spending more time commuting to work in NYC, I picked up voice on 2 meters, 220, and 440. I still know CW, but don't use it as I should. This last job I have works with numbers and call signs a lot. After the first 10,000 transactions, I've found out that I'm dyslexic and tend to transpose random letters with each other and numbers with each other (see? I'm glad I never took a Post Office job!), so it's a wonder I ever picked it up in the first place. I think it was more because of the music lessons I was forced to take as a kid (I still suck at the accordion). My son is bugging me to clear some space on the bench so he can set up a computer for PSK31 and other modes on his station. He's a general right now, so maybe I can get him to upgrade and pick up CW, too, before he heads off to college or wherever life will take him in the next year or so. All he does is DX, so getting the extra spectrum would be great for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.