Frequency war going on @ 3875

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

Does anyone know of any HF nets for white-collar professionals? I am a teacher, and I think that most people with a degree are going to act in a more professional and courteous manner than typically found in the 80/75m crowd.

Does anyone know of any HF nets for white-collar professionals? I am a teacher, and I think that most people with a degree are going to act in a more professional and courteous manner than typically found in the 80/75m crowd.

Are you sure? I have two degrees and am "all but dissertation" on a third (along with a "third mortgage" sized student loan to go with it all). I'm proof positive of that not always being the case.

W2IBC

Have you listened to the conversations and some of the language? Those clowns are all former CBers! It's obvious that their mental state did not improve just because they passed a ham test.

you do realize a lot of these guys on 75 are the "old" 20 WPM Extras and 13 WPM Generals and Advanced classes. and have been going on long before the "no code brings in the cb'ers" argument

wbswetnam

Are you sure? I have two degrees and am "all but dissertation" on a third (along with a "third mortgage" sized student loan to go with it all). I'm proof positive of that not always being the case.

Well, I thought that maybe that would be the case. Good luck on your dissertation, mine took me more than a year before it was all said and done. I got my EdD from Nebraska in 2005.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Lest someone reading this thread think that 75m is all bad, I tuned around this morning in the 6-8am time frame and heard several pleasant conversations and a few nets going on. I checked into a couple of those nets and was warmly greeted by the net control operators.

Yes, there are band plans that attempt to segregate divergent types of operation. Some of those band plans are mandated by IARU or FCC rules and are "official". Some of those band plans are just gentlemen's agreements and are "unofficial". Outside of these band plans, there are accepted windows or segments of the band for specific types of operation that are respected by courteous operators. When operators choose to not be gentle men, those unofficial band plans go out the window. When courtesy breaks down, on-air arguments sometimes ensue. Some folks have a hard time understanding that you can't fight discourteousness with more discourteousness.

There's a lot of spectrum between 3.600 and 4.000 MHz that Extra class amateur radio operators can use. Even Generals have from 3.800 to 4.000 MHz, though that segment can, at times, get pretty crowded. Previous posters have given the best advice--if you don't like what you are hearing, spin the VFO.

For a little bit of light-hearted sarcasm regarding the activities on 3875 kHz, take a look at this:

Hams Awed By Majesty of 80 Meter Nativity Net | Ham Hijinks

That sounds pretty neat. Wish I was listening to that. We have something a little similar on another net, but it follows Santa around and people get to make up their little piece of the story. But I like their idea, too. At least until the open mic.

That OO report is advisory, though. That might be part of the problem, that the OO slips might be adding fuel to the fire.

TheSpaceMan

you do realize a lot of these guys on 75 are the "old" 20 WPM Extras and 13 WPM Generals and Advanced classes. and have been going on long before the "no code brings in the cb'ers" argument
Good point, but CB actually began the late '50s when the FCC took away Amateur spectrum just to create it! Many of those "old" clowns were avid CB operators back in the day, and they eventually graduated up to the ham bands. They obviously took a lot of their bad habits with them.

JustLou

I was getting a kick listening to a bunch of east coast guys talking on 3816 LSB last night. Some of them were within a couple of miles of each other, yet they all needed to run 700-1000w so that they hit each other with at least +40db. Then they picked on one guy for splattering the band and being too wide.

TheSpaceMan

I was getting a kick listening to a bunch of east coast guys talking on 3816 LSB last night. Some of them were within a couple of miles of each other, yet they all needed to run 700-1000w so that they hit each other with at least +40db. Then they picked on one guy for splattering the band and being too wide.
Just like the "good ole days" of CB in the '60s and '70s! Clowns using linear amplifiers to talk to each other a few blocks away, just so they could drown out breakers or other people trying to use the frequency.

N8YX

Why not try what was done up here in Michigan to run off a potty mouth:

Don't bother with the FCC.
Make an audio cd of how they are talking and acting on the air.
Then send copies of the cd to the ham's neighbors, and the city/township hall.
This was actually done up here.
The township gently "forced" the ham to get out of the hobby.
He initially tried to pull a "I only kowtow to the FCC" line, but after he kept getting stopped and wrote up for little offenses, he came to his senses, took everything down, and sold his stuff.

So if these HF shenanigans really do bother you, start recording.
If you can catch a call (and I know that's hard on 80), mail off cd's.
And how would this township "gently force" a ham off the air?

Seems to me the gentleman might have a nice little civil-rights-violation case to bring against the township in question if action was taken against him based solely on transmission content and not technical standards. If the FCC finds no wrongdoing with regards to the content, the township has absolutely no grounds to bring charges. The 'CB Nuisance Enforcement Act' which Bill Clinton signed into law does NOT have any bearing on amateur radio operations and AFAIK this is the only statute on the books which supersedes the FCC's authority when it comes to operational matters.

It sounds like somebody overstepped their bounds - and with the right legal representation on behalf of the plaintiff, they could learn a very costly lesson.

JustLou

Just like the "good ole days" of CB in the '60s and '70s! Clowns using linear amplifiers to talk to each other a few blocks away, just so they could drown out breakers or other people trying to use the frequency.

Exactly. If you closed your eyes and listened, it didn't take much of an imagination to think that you went back in time to the "golden age of 11 meters".

SCPD

QRT
And how would this township "gently force" a ham off the air?

Seems to me the gentleman might have a nice little civil-rights-violation case to bring against the township in question if action was taken against him based solely on transmission content and not technical standards. If the FCC finds no wrongdoing with regards to the content, the township has absolutely no grounds to bring charges. The 'CB Nuisance Enforcement Act' which Bill Clinton signed into law does NOT have any bearing on amateur radio operations and AFAIK this is the only statute on the books which supersedes the FCC's authority when it comes to operational matters.

It sounds like somebody overstepped their bounds - and with the right legal representation on behalf of the plaintiff, they could learn a very costly lesson.

The township didn't try to enforce any FCC rules.
They started writing him petty traffic tickets, and chicken*** zoning violations.

The message was clear:
Take your antennas down, or we'll break your wallet and keep it up until you lose your drivers license.

N8YX

The township didn't try to enforce any FCC rules.
They started writing him petty traffic tickets, and chicken*** zoning violations.

The message was clear:
Take your antennas down, or we'll break your wallet and keep it up until you lose your drivers license.

Which is considered harassment and is an abrogation of his 1st Amendment rights, as the cites were being imposed as the end result of a free speech matter.

Yes, he does have a case against the township and any officers who participated in this conduct...along with whomever trustee was stupid enough to green-light the action.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.