Frequency war going on @ 3875

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustLou

Has anyone been listening to the "battle for the frequency" going on at 3875MHz. It's worse than 11 meters. You have a group on AM fighting with a group on SSB, and it happens almost every night. Last night they even had a jammer playing music, stepping on both groups.

peterwo2e

for some reason this type of behavior goes on here for many years don’t know why. I remember some of this shenanigans were spilling over to 20 meters 14.320 -+ give or take Mr. Hollingsworth the FCC enforcer step up and put his foot down lots of hams lost their ticket he clean up the trash. 28.mhz was being run by taxi cabs here in nyc. Again MR. Hollingsworth clean that band up. But why is 75 meters still dirty why is it allowed to continue?

JustLou

I was trying to figure out who was right, and who was wrong. The AM guys were more articulate and just carried on a normal conversation while occasionally making fun of the jammer and SSB guys. The SSB guys seemed to be the ones that were causing the trouble, as the only thing they talked about were the guys on AM.

elk2370bruce

No one individual or group owns a frequency. We're supposed to be able to play nice in the rf sandbox. Similar urinating contests have occured on 14.275. That was stopped and the grery haired children just moved to .313. I refuse to give them any further free publicity,

JustLou

No one individual or group owns a frequency. We're supposed to be able to play nice in the rf sandbox. Similar urinating contests have occured on 14.275. That was stopped and the grery haired children just moved to .313. I refuse to give them any further free publicity,

Correct. I believe the AM guys occupied the frequency first. What appears to be happening is the SSB guys want to use a frequency nearby, and the AM guys interfere with them. So now the SSB guys are trying to talk over them on the same frequency to bust their balls.

WB4CS

For the most part, 75 meters (and a few places on 40/20) is where old, grouchy hams go when they've accomplished all they can in the hobby. They're done chasing DX, they hate talking to new people, and they're content sitting on their one frequency all day talking to the same old people discussing their physical ailments. It's sad, but true.

The honest truth of why this type of behavior happens in the hobby is because the Amateur Radio Service is low on the priority list of the FCC. Their first concern is public safety (Police, military, government, etc.), second concern is radio services that generate money (broadcast, cellular, ISP, etc.) Third is business band. Then you've got GMRS, FRS, MURS, CB, and Amateur Radio way down at the bottom of their list of priorities.

It's for this reason that the Amateur Service greatly policed by other amateurs. How it's supposed to work is reporting the interference to either the ARRL or FCC and wait. Sadly, those old hams decide that reverting back to kids and playing music, cussing, etc, is a better idea. It sucks, but it's how it's been for many years (decades.)

As much as I hate to say it, the best thing to do is "spin the big dial" and stay clear of 75 meters and other known childish frequencies. It's a terrible truth of the hobby, but just like everything else in life we have our good and our bad apples. Thankfully MOST of the bad apples stay in a handful of places on the dial, so the rest of us can enjoy the hobby away from all that mess.

Now side note, you mentioned 3.875 MHz. Now while it's only a gentlemans agreement and not a FCC bandplan, most AM activity on 75 M is on 3825, 3870, 3880, and 3885 KHz. With the amount of bandwidth that AM takes up, it's possible the AM group was on 3870 or 3880 and the SSB group on 3875 picked a frequency that was in use by the AM group. Of course, any voice mode is allowed from 3600-4000 KHz and is perfectly legal, but most courteous operators on HF know the gentlemans agreement bandplan and adhere to them.

JustLou

For the reasons you mentioned, that is why I haven't bothered putting up an antenna to transmit for anything higher than 40 meters. In some ways I find listening to them entertaining, but in others ways it's just sad.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I've always observed that amateur radio is extremely clique-ish. It gets entertaining (yet ugly) when combat on the bands begins. Not long ago I heard a small group of good operators get on 14.313 and their leader started the festivities by announcing "Now returning this frequency general amateur use". It was a fun little net going on and the usual miscreants weren't happy that their "private" frequency was being invaded.

I've also heard those "mature" hams on 75 that go to ragchew about what part of their bodies broke down this week. They do seem to be rather experienced. Do you think that any of them have received the "WAHABAM" award yet? (Worked All Hams, All Bands, All Modes)

kc9cra

I don't have hf privledges, but I like to listen. This is the first I have heard about this conflict. I will have to check it out.

I don't know what attracts these people to 75 meters, but I actually like them. At some point, folks got this idea that ham radio is supposed to be this country club, and ham ops are supposed to be sophisticated, educated, speak eloquently and professionally, have white collar hjobs, support gun control, drive anything but a pick-up truck, and never, ever, at any time, for any purpose, speak with any kind of lower class regional accent.

These guys seem more down to earth, and yes, ham radio is very clicquish. This is made evident by the earlier post where 1 ham identified the am users as "more articulate. Of course, I'm a huge supporter of cb as well even thought there is a lot of disagreements there too. You hear one thing being said there a lot, "If you don't like what you hear change the channel" In this case, it's the frequency, but it's the same thing. Instead of trying to control what's going on, simply adjust your frequency by about 7 or 8 kHz.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Don't assume [you know what this means] that all are old farts or grey haired. But that is the problem largely with society today. I will do whatever I darn well want to, and to heck with anyone else. After all, I am the most important person on earth.

WB4CS

I've always observed that amateur radio is extremely clique-ish. It gets entertaining (yet ugly) when combat on the bands begins. Not long ago I heard a small group of good operators get on 14.313 and their leader started the festivities by announcing "Now returning this frequency general amateur use". It was a fun little net going on and the usual miscreants weren't happy that their "private" frequency was being invaded.

I've also heard those "mature" hams on 75 that go to ragchew about what part of their bodies broke down this week. They do seem to be rather experienced. Do you think that any of them have received the "WAHABAM" award yet? (Worked All Hams, All Bands, All Modes)

If you Google/search "14.313" you will find a complete history of that frequency, which has been a nasty playground for over 20 years. Over on QRZ.com forums just the mention of 14.313 will get a thread shutdown and locked. Do some research and you'll be amazed and shocked at how some of these hams act.

These hams usually either come into the hobby already with bad habits and never break them, or they are the older hams that feel that "I've been a ham for 80 years and I can do whatever I want." I would say wait it out until the old timers die and then it will get better, but that's not going to happen. Those hams provide a bad image of what the hobby is, and because they get away with it, some newer hams think it's okay to operate in this manner.

I avoid those frequencies and remind myself it's a hobby.

K7MEM

...Looks like I'm gonna have to check out 14313. ;)

I wouldn't bother with 14,313 KHz. It just a lot of the same stuff. There is another group that gets on the high end of 40 Meters as well. They go to 40 when the conditions are too poor to jam each other. I tune up there once in a while for a laugh.

About a 1-1/2 years ago the 80 meter resonator on my Hustler 5BTV exploded. At the time I credited it to a lightening strike, but with the activity on 3875, I may have to rethink that. :)

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
...Just another good reason to stay away from HF (horrible frequencies). ;)

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.