Frequent house to vehicle operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grprecordnut

Newbie here with a question or two, maybe three. I'd like to buy a mobile that can also work as a base. How can I do that? What separate power source would I need to have? Do any CB's offer plugs for indoor operations as well as vehicle? It's going to be a lot of back and forth. Base antenna will be down when not in use. Thanks for your time. GRP

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Newbie here with a question or two, maybe three. I'd like to buy a mobile that can also work as a base. How can I do that? What separate power source would I need to have? Do any CB's offer plugs for indoor operations as well as vehicle? It's going to be a lot of back and forth. Base antenna will be down when not in use. Thanks for your time. GRP

I'm not aware of any modern CB's that have both a 12vdc connection -and- a 110vac connection that are of suitable size to use as a mobile.

But, not a problem. All you need is a small 12vdc power supply to power the radio at home. Something like this will work just fine for a CB radio: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Co...ly&qid=1575819629&sprefix=12v,aps,227&sr=8-46

Just get a second power cord that matches your CB and leave it connected. Bring your CB in and plug in the base antenna and power cord and you're all set.

a417

at what point does the effort of moving it offset the price of a separate unit? I just saw a uniden CB on sale at wallyworld for approx $30 with a cheap antenna. If you're doing it frequently, why not just do it once and have two units?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I'm not aware of any modern CB's that have both a 12vdc connection -and- a 110vac connection that are of suitable size to use as a mobile.

But, not a problem. All you need is a small 12vdc power supply to power the radio at home. Something like this will work just fine for a CB radio: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Co...ly&qid=1575819629&sprefix=12v,aps,227&sr=8-46

Just get a second power cord that matches your CB and leave it connected. Bring your CB in and plug in the base antenna and power cord and you're all set.

If your CB uses the typical power connector, here is on decent option.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation

But, not a problem. All you need is a small 12vdc power supply to power the radio at home. Something like this will work just fine for a CB radio: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Compact-Bench-Power-Supply/dp/B000A896GG/ref=sr_1_46?crid=18FGOD9315PVQ&keywords=12v+power+supply&qid=1575819629&sprefix=12v,aps,227&sr=8-46

There's plenty. A lot of them freeband type rigs from Galaxy and the like though. I saw a big one that did 800 watts and had a sort of rackmount like front panel. Can't remember the brand or model number but I used to see those all the time.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Some older base stations had both 110 and 12V connections. My Uniden President Washington is an example, but it was kind of large for mobile use. The prior comments are all on the money, just buy a mobile radio and use a connector that fits the car and home 12V power supply. Make sure the home power supply has enough amps to power the radio when transmitting. Here's one site, both there are others: CB World Home - Huge Selection of Communication Equipment

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If you're talking about frequently moving the radio between home and car, you might consider simply getting two radios. For less than $200, you can get two quality radios.

grprecordnut

I'm here. And I do thank you all for your responses. There seems to be a lot of options out there for me. I've been doing my research. It's time consuming and frustrating. I find something I like then a day later I change my mind and want something different. Plus, life is getting in the way of fun with radios. Thanks again for all the responses and the time you all took to make those responses. I am not ungrateful.

prcguy

Back in the 70s, slide mounts that provided a quick disconnect for power and antenna were popular and people would get one for the car and home, then transfer the radio back and forth. I've not seen a CB type slide mount in probably 30yrs and just yesterday I came across one new in package. Too bad there is only one.

Otherwise I put Anderson Power Poles on all my radios for quick disconnect on the power leads and most of my mag mount antennas have BNC connectors and I put a PL259 to BNC adapter on many radios. That allows for very quick install and removal of these radios when traveling and if you have your base set up with the same it makes for easy transfer from the car to the house.

a417

I saw one in a barn when I was very young and had no idea what that was. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.