Frescan and PRO-651

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Was thinking 106 must have fat fingers? You are correct the pro-106 and Pro-651 seem the same, I don't have them I have the PSR-500. And for the OP yes win 500 has a trial 30 days.

shadcall

I would suggest you try ARC 500 since it also has a free 30 day trial ($40) after 30 days. Whichever program you choose you will need a programming cable from Radio Shack and a premium subscription to Radio Reference ($15 for 6 months, $30 for a year). I tried WIN 500 and it did not work for me.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
PSR 500 programming

All three have free 30 day trials

Win500 Win500: WS1040, WS1065, PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-651, PRO-652, PRO-106, PRO-197, PSR-310, PSR-410 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control
ARC500 ARC500PRO software for GRE GRECOM RadioShack PRO-106 PRO106 PRO-197 PRO197 PSR-500 PSR-600 PRO-106 PRO106 PRO-197 PRO197 PSR500 PSR600 Software
PSRedit 500 PSREdit500 - Configuration Editor for the PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, and PRO-197 Scanners

I would suggest you try ARC 500 since it also has a free 30 day trial ($40) after 30 days. Whichever program you choose you will need a programming cable from Radio Shack and a premium subscription to Radio Reference ($15 for 6 months, $30 for a year). I tried WIN 500 and it did not work for me.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber

While you do need a programming cable, you by no means need a RR subscription. It makes life easier but is not at all required.

shadcall

While you do need a programming cable, you by no means need a RR subscription. It makes life easier but is not at all required.

It's required if you want to download the database directly into your software program. Otherwise you are left with cut and paste.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
It's required if you want to download the database directly into your software program. Otherwise you are left with cut and paste.

Which means you don't NEED a subscription. As you didn't make this clear in your post, I made it clear in mine so the OP understands that it's not required.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Of course you can extend the logic and say that a software program is not required either since the scanner can be programmed manually.

You would be correct, you could do just that. My point (as you obviously missed it) was that you said "you will need a programming cable from Radio Shack and a premium subscription to Radio Reference", implying that you MUST have those things, I was pointing out for the OP that they are not an absolute requirement, they will make programming easier, but are not must haves.

Anything else you want to argue about?

shadcall

You would be correct, you could do just that. My point (as you obviously missed it) was that you said "you will need a programming cable from Radio Shack and a premium subscription to Radio Reference", implying that you MUST have those things, I was pointing out for the OP that they are not an absolute requirement, they will make programming easier, but are not must haves.

Anything else you want to argue about?

Yes, you are right. They are not required but as you point out they sure make things a lot easier. If you invest in a software program you might as well go all the way and get the cable and subscription. However, it just occurred to me that there are other benefits that come with the premium subscription besides the ability to download the database directly to your program. The OP may want to consider if those benefits are of interest to him. Here is the link for that information.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/subscription/

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you are right. They are not required but as you point out they sure make things a lot easier. If you invest in a software program you might as well go all the way and get the cable and subscription. However, it just occurred to me that there are other benefits that come with the premium subscription besides the ability to download the database directly to your program. The OP may want to consider if those benefits are of interest to him. Here is the link for that information.

I'll agree with that 100%. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.