Fresh Idea for chain law fines 2014 -- JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosemedic

Hey, I've got a new idea for the chain law fines.....
Not that I've just had an interesting experience once again traversing I-70...

I see Officers, usually CSP sitting on the shoulder someplace in the snow. I'm guessing they are watching Hulu or Netflix, because they clearly aren't looking at passing trucks.

Instead of fining the Truckers that refuse to chain up, or just push their luck assuming that the Troopers are tied up on accidents.. How about we try out this idea this year;
The Officers that are parked on the side of the road, and see a Big Rig slide by, and DON'T hear ching-ching-ching-ching (the distinctive sound of chains) and just a few miles away, up the pass, the truck gets stuck, that the Officers are fined for not doing their job.:mad:

If it's not the Troopers responsibility, how about Motor Carrier Safety come out on a snowy day, even on overtime, to enforce the Chain Laws. Surely the tax dollars paying 4 to 8 officers to sit on both sides of any given pass would be offset by the lost revenue when the road is closed because of jackknifed Semi's...

Flame on!

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
Just fine the ones who get stuck. Make it big though.

If you choose not to use chains despite the sign, get stuck, and impede traffic - $1000 fine. There would be no need to park cops anywhere listening for chains. They would just patrol and if a vehicle without chains gets stuck during chain conditions, out comes the ticket book.

Kinda wish something like that could happen on freeways for people who run out of gas or drive POS cars that break down in travel lanes, etc. I understand Germany fines and threatens jail to drivers who run out of gas on the Autobahn.

Steve2003

Usually troopers are pretty busy during a snow storm. Chances are they are writing their accident reports on the side of the road. Also, mobile data can be spotty in the mtns... Makes it hard to stream Netflix!

What we need is some sort of photo chain enforcement system. If someone could invent one you would make a killing!

The red light system in Littleton is installed by a third party contractor. They eat the install/maintenance costs but get a cut of all the violation fines. I have seen a few photo enforcement systems go up practically overnight! If only all road construction could be the same way...

number40Fan

$1k seems light in the pocket book for the amount it costs in lost time for everyone involved as well as trooper pay. $5k should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.