Fresno City Police Radio (Computer?) Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CZ

Anyone have an idea what sort of events these refer to? Generally you just hear an Officer saying in effect that he or she is out on that particular type of call, and that's it, which leads me to believe the details go through the car & Dispatch computer's.

They're said on the air like I have them listed below, & are definitely not vehicle calls.

"One Nora Two"
"Two Frank"
"Two Robert"
"Three Frank Two"
"Two Zebra One"

Primarily used in the manner of, "Put me out with a Two Nora", or "Be out with a Two Robert" or "finishing the paper on that Two Frank yesterday."

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I have not lived in the Fresno area for several years and things may have changed but I believe you are misinterpreting what they are saying. The way I remember their radio traffic and by what you typed, it sounds like all they are saying is that they want the dispatcher to put them on a call with another unit.

Generally, FPD only has one unit patrolling one "beat". 2-Adam-11 would be a central division(2) unit. Adam would be covering a certain area within that division. 11 would be the first unit within that "beat". If there was a second unit, it would be numbered 12. Since it is very rare that a second unit is covering an area, officers and dispatchers (either out of laziness or to save time) will just say 2-Adam and know that it is 2-Adam-11.

So, an officer might see another officer on a traffic stop and stop to help him. The second officer would radio in and say to "put him out with 2-Adam" so the dispatcher could enter him into the computer that he is on the call with 2-Adam-11.

It could be wrong but that is what I remember about FPD. Now that I think aobut, I do remember computer codes but I remember them being different from what you describe.

CZ

Way they use the codes -- I should have mentioned this in my first post -- is in the context of, say there are two units, let's call them, for convenience, "abc" and "xyz"

abc: "put me out with xyz on that Two Nora call on 123 Street."
dispatcher: "Copy"

or

abc: "get a couple additional unit's over here on xyz's Two Robert call on 123 Street."
Disp. "Def and ghi -- break and respond to the Two Robert."

xyz: "Out on 200 block of 123 Street with a possible One Nora Two."

========
Have heard references to a "One Nora" but don't know if its seperate type of call, or Officer's occasionally forget to add the Two.

CZ

Since my first post in this thread, I have also logged the following Fresno Police Codes:

"Four Frank"

"One Nora One"

"One Mary"

"Two Xray"

and during a call, an Officer said, "We had a One Edward Five out there last time."

Last edited:

CZ

October 9, 2006: New one heard:

"Put me out report writng on that Two Baker Three call earlier"

They are not calls for vehicles, the codes cited are used to referto specific types of calls that Officer's are dispatched to.

CZ

4 more NEW ONES Heard:

"Three Charles Two Thomas Henry" (3C2TH)
"Four Charles Two Thomas Henry" (4C2TH)
"Two Charles Zero" (2C0)
"Two Robert Zero Robert" (2R0R)

all were used in the context described in my Sept. 6, and Oct. 9 posts

Any help appreciated.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
We're getting all of these codes completely out of context, which makes it all but impossible to make any sense of it.

You might want to start jotting down the types of call each unit gets, and then listen for that unit to clear and give these dispositions or call-classifications, or whatever they are. Then the meanings might start to become clear as more and more of them are heard.

CZ

Well, disp. (and officers) use them in the context of:

Dispatcher: "Three Adam eleven, fill with TwoXrayFive on his One Nora"
Then when call is over & officer reports back for case #, they'll say something on the order of: "Give me a case number and time for the One Nora," & Dispatcher will say, "Case number on the One Nora is..." then they give 5 or 6 numbers, then "and time of call was 1722."

Heard yet another one:

"I'll fill on that Three Charles Three Nora"

----------------------
I keep thinking that if they're also used for exchange of info between various Law Enforcement agencies, they'd be a standard nationwide code....

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
CZ said:
Well, disp. (and officers) use them in the context of:

Dispatcher: "Three Adam eleven, fill with TwoXrayFive on his One Nora"
Then when call is over & officer reports back for case #, they'll say something on the order of: "Give me a case number and time for the One Nora,"
Huh, that IS unusual. So they don't use the "standard" Calif police radio codes, like 211, 415, 459? Maybe they're call-type codes in their CAD system, and they like to keep a lot of really big secrets. Doesn't sound very interoperability-friendly, though.

I just found this, which probably exists elsewhere but I'VE never see it before: you can file certain types of reports with Fresno PD online at http://www.coplogic.com/agency/fresno/start-report.html Now that's a good idea, if people actually use it, for stuff that really doesn't need a police officer to come out. A lot of agencies do reports by phone, but this is even more cost-effective for things that will likely never get "solved" anyway.

Last edited:

CZ

Fresno PD uses 211, 415, 459 still. What's interesting is the Clovis PD does not use the codes (i.e.: "One Nora" and the others already noted) Fresno PD does.

Clovis and Fresno have areas where the middle line of street are divider's between the cities, and I believe there are still a few intersections where one corner's County, 1 or 2 are Fresno, and the rest Clovis.

New one heard on 11/21: Officer: "Has case number been assigned yet for that Two Robert Zero Ocean call earlier?" Dispatch: "Case number is.... "

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Kingscup had it correct

Adam, Nora, Lincoln etc are areas of Fresno and then the numbers are the units themselves. I don't remember which area was which. Fresno County Sheriff's do the same. Of course it's been years since I had any friends, or relatives in the FPD/FSO departments, or went for a ride-along so I could be wrong, but I don't believe so.

Go for a ride-along. I would think they still do that and it's pretty fun and informative. I believe you just need to be at least 18 years old.

CZ

I know which are the units, BUT the codes being used are NOT Unit numbers!
For Example:

Dispatcher: "5S14, fill with 5H26 on the Two Robert Zero Robert call -- Gettysburg west of First, North side of street."

Unit: "Copy."

Unitr "2B21"

Dispatcher: "2B21?"

Unit 2B21: "I'll head for that Two Robert Zero Robert... I'm closer than 5S14."

====
UNIT Numbers on air appear as "Five Sam Fourteen"; "Five Henry Twentysix"; "Two Baker Twentyone".

Last edited:

CZ

March 19: Heard reference to "Fill on Victor Twenty-five's One Mary Three Ocean call. Let us know when its code four."
==========
Another example of how these currently unknown codes are used on the air by Officers.

Officer 1: "Let's see, that was Thursday night.... I booked him at the Jail on a One Nora Two."
Officer 2: "Copy. just curious as to what you booked him on."

CZ

April 3:

OFFICER #1: "He was booked on a One Robert Zero Baker Three Alpha this afternoon, they may book him later for that Two Robert later."

Officer 2: "Copy."
=========
Fresno Sheriff, and Clovis PD DO NOT use these codes.

CZ

looks like. But what's odd about whole thing is that nobody but Fresno PD uses them.... What with Fresno Sheriff, Clovis PD and Madera Sheriff not using them, I'd imagine there's occasional difficulty in exchanging data about a particular arrest or call between them and fFresno PD.

Far as I know, The Highway Patrol in this area doesn't use the codes either.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Local PDs in my area use disposition codes. Example:

"10-98, dispo 9130."

When they do that... I have no idea what's going on. Fortunately, sometimes you get lucky and the officer specifies the context of the call:

"10-98, dispo 9190, advice was given to the neighbor of the tenant with the loud music..."

Then I can figure the code out based on the context of the rest of the transmission. But this is such slow going I've pretty much given up on it.

It appears you're in a similar position, unless you decide to just call Fresno PD and ask haha.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
We could spend years guessing

Until/unless someone gets a list of these dispo or classification codes, whatever they are, we're just whistling into the wind. Some agencies use English, some use relatively straight-forward codes or acronyms, and some use their own in-house system. These things are almost always just for internal purposes anyway, like stats or other record-keeping, and all that matters to them is that they know the meanings.

CZ said:
What with Fresno Sheriff, Clovis PD and Madera Sheriff not using them, I'd imagine there's occasional difficulty in exchanging data about a particular arrest or call between them and fFresno PD.
They probably remember to use standard terminology or plain English on the occasions when another agency needs to know the disposition of a call.

If I were there, couldn't get the info from the department, and just had to know, I'd probably start paying attention to the entire context of every call, and follow through to its conclusion. Keep track of the type of incident each unit is sent on, stuff they may broadcast during the incident, and then listen for what he/she says when finishing it up. If cars sent on cold burglary reports tend to clear them with a "XYZ16" for instance, there's a good chance that "XYZ16" means something like "took a report" or "took a 459 report." Likewise if they frequently report "J6142½W18ABC²" after pulling over drunk drivers, it probably means they've made an arrest, and maybe includes the exact charges.

If they're using something as localized and esoteric as it sounds, that's the only way you're going to get even close to figuring them out. Same thing as figuring out unit-designations, incident-types, etc. You need to listen for long periods, keep track of the context, location, or whatever it is that you're trying to decipher, and look for patterns.

Without knowing the context, nobody's ever going to be able to just pull the meanings out of a hat.

And did I mention context?

Last edited:

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
"J6142½W18ABC²"

Unit: "Dispatch we've got a John Six One Four Two One-Half Symbol William One Eight Adam Boy Charles Squared"

Dispatcher: "Ten Four..."

HAHA! :lol:

But that's EXTREMELY good advice, and I completely agree. I've had very good results with learning beat locations, unit designators and disposition codes doing precisely that.

jkmunro3

I didn't have time to read this entire post, however, the codes you are hearing from Fresno PD are their dispo codes. These are a list of codes entered into the computer usually by the officer upon clearing a call. The first part, such as "1 nora 1", is the call type. The rest, when cleared by voice, is the actual disposition, or what happened (ticket, arrest, warning, etc). All FPD calls are cleared by MDC unless you dont have one like motors or detectives. These codes are provided to FPD personal on a sheet of paper. Most have them memorized if they have been there for any length of time.

I know this doesn't answer your questions about what the codes actually are, but hopefully it explains it a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.