Fresno/Kings EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt_531

So EMS Dispatch for Kings County also dispatches Skylife Helos and BLS units on this frequency but we cant hear them. We can hear the dispatch and alert tones but no traffic from unit to dispatch....Nor can the EMS units on scene hear the Helo, its like a relay to talk to eachother....Any ideas?

Eng74

Well for the on scene use CalCord. I know we alway use it with Mercy Air and Medivac (Halls). They can also come up on our normal channels and are also toned out by our ECC.

car5le

Premium Subscriber
Normally all Fresno EMS does is tone out the helicopter to notify them of the call. While enroute the Helicopter will contact the Fire Department (CalFire, Fresno County Fire, Kings County Fire, Kern Co Fire, etc...) who is on-scene to coordinate a landing zone. The helicopters up here like CALCORD (156.075) to coordinate LZ's. Once back in flight with the patient, the medic on the helicopter will use one of the hospital MED channels.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
So EMS Dispatch for Kings County also dispatches Skylife Helos and BLS units on this frequency but we cant hear them. We can hear the dispatch and alert tones but no traffic from unit to dispatch....Nor can the EMS units on scene hear the Helo, its like a relay to talk to eachother....Any ideas?

Could EMS be simulcasting on 2 frequencies and you are only hearing one side of the conversation? The units are on another frequency that is being simulcasted?

emt_531

I think they are simulcasting and I want to know the other frequency and why their units are not able to hear it also....It makes no sense.....They do use calcord on scene but EMS does not use it........The on scene unit cannot hear the HELO...

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
Just from listening from what they do in Madera Co, Fresno Co EMS dispatching does some very squirrelly things. Nothing would surprise me.

car5le

Premium Subscriber
I talked with a buddy of mine who works in EMS Dispatch.

Lifeflight is toned (digital pager) out just like any other rig in the four county system. The Flight Medic will then call in via landline for the specifics. If the helicopter responds they will come up on the appropriate dispatch channel for the area they are responding to for flight follow and call updates (look in the database for the specific county for their specific MED channel used for dispatching). Once they get on-scene they may switch to CALCORD for LZ instructions.

Hope this helps.

emt_531

From time of dispatch to on scene they still communicate with dispatch on their channel in this case 461.575 (Kings Co EMS dispatch) It is a one sided conversation, you cannot hear the helo. Dispatch asks for position reports etc, but you cannot hear them and nor can their units. I dont understand it at all.

car5le

Premium Subscriber
Question for you if have this info. What is the distance between you (your receiver) and the incident? I'm wondering if the helicopter is transmitting in talkaround (direct) mode. I do know CCEMSA monitors transmissions in talkaround mode. If you are far enough away from the helicopter you won't hear it, if they are running in talkaround. Still checking...

emt_531

Question for you if have this info. What is the distance between you (your receiver) and the incident? I'm wondering if the helicopter is transmitting in talkaround (direct) mode. I do know CCEMSA monitors transmissions in talkaround mode. If you are far enough away from the helicopter you won't hear it, if they are running in talkaround. Still checking...

I think they are communicating in talkaround mode. But I dont understand why they only do it for Kings Co. EMS dispatch. Last night, I heard an incident over on I5 in Fresno County and Skylife 1 came up on the Fresno EMS rural dispatch channel in the clear. I am close to one of their pads, so I dont think that distance is the issue. Talkaround would make sense, because their ground units cant hear them either. Just puzzling

kma371

QRT
That might be just how their radios are programmed? If it ain't broke, don't fix it :) it sounds like it works fine for them.

emt_531

Again, I am guessing this a direct system.....Their BLS Units are also not being heard on the same frequency that the helo is being dispatched, but we can still hear other units....

car5le

Premium Subscriber
This may, or may not answer your question...

I talked with my friend in CCEMSA again about this. The simple answer is that CCEMSA will simulselect (not the same as simulcast) the various main dispatch channels so that when the dispatcher talks the transmission goes out on the selected channels. However, the responding units may be on a channel that is not what you would normally expect for your area depending on signal coverage. For instance, the helicopter will dispatch off of Med 10. You will hear the simulselected broadcast when you are listening to Med 15, but you will not hear the helicopter respond on Med 15 because they are responding on Med 10.

Hope this helps.

emt_531

Thanks for your research, it makes total sense now....Plugged Med 10 in last night and can hear both sides of the conversation...

Status
Not open for further replies.