Fresno PD radios stolen and used

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
See this is the type of moron that makes us all look bad.

Not that 99.9 percent of our forum members would EVER think of doing that, but to some uneducated brass one radio nerd will now be just as bad as the next.

How does it make "us" look bad?

How does this incident have anything to do with this forum or it's members?

donny612

Never saw that before...

You guys will love this one. The suspect (who still hasn't been caught) came up on a Fresno PD channel the other day. He called in a pedestrian stop, did all the normal warrant checks, arrested the "pedestrian", transported the "pedestrian" to jail, booked the "pedestrian", requested (and was issued) a case number, and then correctly cleared the call. All over the radio!

Maybe a fired cop getting a little "payback"???

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
See this is the type of moron that makes us all look bad.

Not that 99.9 percent of our forum members would EVER think of doing that, but to some uneducated brass one radio nerd will now be just as bad as the next.

Nothing about this case makes us look bad, there has been no mention of Davis (the suspect) using scanners in commission of a crime at all. He broke into the radio shop the city contracts with and stole actual police radios - something that could have just has easily been done had the city had digital encrypted radios.

In fact I would go so far as to say this thread contains free professional communications consulting advice for the Fresno Police Department:

As has already been said earlier, your radios already contain the MDC1200 and Kenwood FleetSync signaling protocols, which allows you to see the ID number of any radio transmitting on your system straight from the dispatch console. They also allow Emergency Button operation, and STUN/KILL power over offending radios. Like I said, since this is a feature already built into your radios, it would take almost no effort to implement (a tech checking a few boxes in your radio's programming software, and at most a dispatch console upgrade).

Despite what a Motorola sales rep may tell you, you do NOT need a $10 million 700 MHz digitally encrypted P25 trunking system to prevent this incident from ever happening again. If you have Centracom dispatch consoles then you most likely already have all the necessary equipment, you just need someone to flip the "on switch." :)

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
That guy certainly had a collection.. in the picture on the news report, looks like a Harris Unity on the very left side end of the table. I'm glad they got him.. could have caused a lot more damage.

car5le

Premium Subscriber
Against my better judgement here I am going to post this and ask a couple of questions.

This individual (who is not a "fired cop getting a little payback") breaks into the offices of a local radio vendor takes a number of law enforcement radios, and while he is taking the radios calls in a fake foot chase somehow makes us look bad?

Or was it my attempt at a little humor and self awareness when I posted (2-11-2012) what he did, to enforce that public safety communications in general is still vulnerable to misguided individuals like this? And I mean vulnerable no matter what radio system public safety uses. If this offended some, I apologize.

My guess is this was a learning experience for everyone involved and I'll bet they (vendor and public safety agencies) have made some significant changes on how they do business.

On a related note, it is quite surprising to me that there hasn't been any more of a problem like this, especially with the $120 dual band radios (radio, software and cables included) on Ebay that anyone can get their hands on, and with very little research can program their radios to nearly any public safety agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.