Fresno PD radios stolen and used

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyGuard

Kudos to the dispatcher who know's her units and realized she had a rouge radio to deal with. I hope what ever radio's he still has in his possession all have dead batteries, and he can't create any more confusion.

car5le

Premium Subscriber
You guys will love this one. The suspect (who still hasn't been caught) came up on a Fresno PD channel the other day. He called in a pedestrian stop, did all the normal warrant checks, arrested the "pedestrian", transported the "pedestrian" to jail, booked the "pedestrian", requested (and was issued) a case number, and then correctly cleared the call. All over the radio!

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Now, if he would only do it in Pasadena...

It would be nice to let Mr. Sanchez know real criminals aren't phased by encryption.

They just steal, or buy, real radios.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Now, if he would only do it in Pasadena...

It would be nice to let Mr. Sanchez know real criminals aren't phased by encryption.

They just steal, or buy, real radios.

Nice thought, except that in Pasadena the P25 system admin would "brick" the radio so that it could not be used.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Ya, you're right.

I was thinking more of the cops who sell their radios to tow drivers. Those guys usually get away with it for, like, a year or more. (The one problem with not requiring keys every power up.)

2wayfreq

I would figure they would have their own County radio repair shop unless they contract out the repairs.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Two questions here (and one may have been already answered :)), one, is the system these rouge radios are being used on a trunked one? and two, if so, couldn`t the system admin just "brick" the units in question? If this guy isn`t smart enough to figure out how to mask the radio ID of the stolen units (i bet he can`t), then it would be an easy get just to lock out that particular ID (or ID`s) and that would be that. Thoughts? N9NRA P.S. Or the admin could put `em into "open mic" mode (so they transmit all the time on a side channel) so they can track and recover the radios, and hopefully CATCH this guy.

bezking

Both the city police and county sheriff appear to be analog conventional, so unless they are running MDC-1200 or FleetSync on their radios, then there is nothing they can do to stop this clown other than radio directional finding or just waiting until the portable's battery dies...

NC5267

If the guy knows radios all he needs to do is buy a charger online and can keep messing with them. Then there only option is radio directional finding like was said before and I think that only works when he is transmitting on the radio I think.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
those are Kenwood TK-2312's and they support remote stun in both MDC1200 and FleetSync. Maybe they should ask Cook's Communications to enable that feature.

If they had, they could easily disabled the stolen radio(s).

No need to encrypt, or by an overpriced digital trunked radio system to get the capability.

vinzep491

See this is the type of moron that makes us all look bad.

Not that 99.9 percent of our forum members would EVER think of doing that, but to some uneducated brass one radio nerd will now be just as bad as the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.