Fried 396t

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundguy_dave

Premium Subscriber
So after inadvertently plunging in the wrong DC car adapter I let the magic smoke out of my scanner..... Am i looking at sending it in to the service guys or is the main board something I can order and replace my self?

In the future I will be clearly marking different voltages of common plugs....

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I will leave the technical stuff to people who have direct experience. But I've read a few threads of people nodding and changing things out on these scanners. My choice would be to find the main board, purchase it, open it up and attempt to replace it myself. UNLESS the cost to have uniden do it is not much more expensive.

cpuerror

I would suggest going for the flat rate repair option. Uniden won't sell you a new board, and even if they did, it would probably cost more then what the scanner is worth.

spooney

I would put the money towards a down payment on a BCD396XT and keep the old 396 for spare parts that might be compatable with the new unit.

ElGenio

That makes me afraid to plug mine into anything other than the cord that came with it. Ouch!!!

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
65$ flat rate (unless it has gone up) is well worth it, had about a 15 day turn around on mine....

soundguy_dave

Premium Subscriber
The Web Check-in repair form says its still under warranty. Seeing it only took Caesar 15 days makes me feel a bit better. I am wishing I had bought the XT off the bat, maybe I will sell the T when I get it back and step up to the XT.

emptech

fried 396t

Flat rate is the way to go, however look at my story:

I sent my 396t in for repairs on January 25th 2010. It has now been over 60 days, according to their status site, took three weeks for them to get it from Kalifornia, must have gone by hot air balloon, even the post office isn't that slow. They've had it sitting for eight days now, waiting to get shipped back to me. The good news, they are charging $49.50 for the repairs. I hope they fixed all of the things wrong, the repairs completed don't match what my original complaint was, would no longer charge batteries, broken rubber push button, damaged case, etc.

Has anybody else had such delays?

Jim

65$ flat rate (unless it has gone up) is well worth it, had about a 15 day turn around on mine....

Status
Not open for further replies.