Frightened Grandmother Leads Police On Chase

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I wonder how many drug deals, assaults and burglaries went on elsewhere in the city while the Mayberry PD chased down the Little Old Lady from Pasadena?

Obviously she got out of her car at some point . How did she manage to get back in? Where the officers too afraid for their lives that this lady might purse them to death.

Imagine the possible scenario - They get her to stop. They are yelling at the top of their lungs (because they can't control that adrenaline high) and all pointing guns at her as she gets out, demanding that she perform gymnastic feats that a 20 year old would have difficulty doing before they would approach her close enough to detain her.

So she was scared out of her wits before the stop, and then after the stop with all of the guns pointing at her and people telling her to follow fifty different sets of commands given from a dozen officers at the scene she is totally petrified - she wants to get the hell out of there and to an area where "normal" people are who can vouch for her safety.

Granted, 64 years old is still pretty young these days and there are a lot of 64 year olds out there that are up to no good. But I think somehow this situation could have been handled better than adding insult to injury given the paranoia she was already suffering to begin with.

Thankfully the SO and local police around here aren't known to harrass grandmas.

Mike

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Actually I thought both sides acted peculiar. Initially I could understand her fear, but after 911 assured her everything was legitimate I don't know what she was thinking. Then as you say, for her to be able to get back in the car and drive away, that was really surprising! Good thing no one was hurt in the making of that movie!

car2back

Give me a break mtindor. Being elderly and senile are not excuses to ignore the law. :roll: If she's too dumb to pull over after even the 911 dispatcher tells her it's a legit cop, she doesn't need to be driving.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
car2back said:
Give me a break mtindor. Being elderly and senile are not excuses to ignore the law. :roll: If she's too dumb to pull over after even the 911 dispatcher tells her it's a legit cop, she doesn't need to be driving.
No doubt, she doesn't need to be driving if she has some sort of problem causing her to be so paranoid as to recognize the situation after a point, simply because it may also affect many other aspects of her judgement. Still, some empathy and compassion are needed. I get the feeling there was none of that. You do realize that sometimes things happen to people that are beyond their control or ability to recognize for themselves. That's when compassionate third parties step in to assist. Just because somebody doesn't do what you or the law deems is right and appropriate doesnt' always mean that they are 'guilty' of something and need to be cuffed, stuffed and hauled off to the pokey. There is always the side of the story we do not see, and quite often there are extenuating circumstances. Not everybody should be treated like a criminal, because not everybody is a criminal.

Mike

Last edited:

car2back

mtindor said:
Just because somebody doesn't do what you or the law deems is right and appropriate doesnt' always mean that they are 'guilty' of something and need to be cuffed, stuffed and hauled off to the pokey.

Mike
If they did something the law deems inappropriate (i.e it's illegal) they absolutely are guilty of something. I consider myself pretty compassionate, but I'm not going to feel sorry for granny because she failed to do what she was required by law to do, and I'm sure as heck not going to bash the cops involved in this because of HER actions. If I had a driver run from me on a traffic stop, they would go to jail regardless of age, sex, race, etc!

Last edited:
N

nec208

wow more stupid people :eek: I know people that are 70 and 80 and can think better.After the cop called for back up there no questions here that they are cops.

She ran from the cops and driving like bad and goes to jail like any other person age,sex or color.

Austin4Wyo

nec208 said:
wow more stupid people :eek: I know people that are 70 and 80 and can think better.
Strangely enough, I know plenty who are quite a bit younger and simply choose not to think. I try to remind them that it's not illegal to do so yet, but usually to no avail.

hoser147

Seeing the situation from both sides she should have known it was the Police and complied as she spoke to the dispatcher. Apparently something led her to feel she had to flee for her own safety which is common flight of fear. Unfortunately there are plenty of elderly drivers out there that you really never know what they are going to do. Ive seen them slam on the brakes right in the lane of travel when approached from behind by an emergency vehicle, seen them make left turns in front of the same. A friend of mine a LEO was involved in a fatal cause one failed to yield and turned left in front of him. He went home but it changed his life forever. Hoser

Croaker90

After another marked unit arrives, that would tell you something.

Two MARKED units, two fully uniformed officers, and 911 dispatch..... Come On...

then running past another unit with spikes DUH!

JoeyC

So shes 64, woopie. Grandmother? So what. I know people in their 40s that are grandparents. Doesn't mean they can't be on crack or up to no good. This might be a story as written if grandma was in her 80s or 90s.

Media sensationalism at its finest with plenty of followers.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So why was she pulled over in the first place? It just could be she was an armed suspect in a holdup with half a dozen felony warrants who escaped from prison a few days earlier. Now there's a perfectly good reason for a high speed chase!

scanfan03

mtindor said:
I wonder how many drug deals, assaults and burglaries went on elsewhere in the city while the Mayberry PD chased down the Little Old Lady from Pasadena?
Is this a serious question? :roll: Have you ever listened to the radio at 2 AM? It's usually dead unless it's a friday or saturday night. I'm pretty sure that drug deals don't go down at 2 AM, that's when they start to snort/smoke the stuff. If there were any assaults or burglaries going on, I'm sure they had enough units to cover up those calls too. Fort Worth is a pretty big city and probably has more than 4 units SO at night.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
scanfan03 said:
Is this a serious question? :roll: Have you ever listened to the radio at 2 AM? It's usually dead unless it's a friday or saturday night. I'm pretty sure that drug deals don't go down at 2 AM, that's when they start to snort/smoke the stuff. If there were any assaults or burglaries going on, I'm sure they had enough units to cover up those calls too. Fort Worth is a pretty big city and probably has more than 4 units SO at night.
Well, this is the RR Wasteland. Do you really expect to read fruitful posts? I was being sarcastic.... but my suggestion was is that they [any law enforcement agency] should put as much work into taking the drug dealers, rapists, burglars, etc. off the street as they apparently do pulling over elderly folks with paranoia issues. I am not suggesting that she should never have been pulled over. But to hear tell of what transpired, it seems the lady stopped her car and got out at least one time, then got back in and continued. How in the world does that happen?

Of course that last question is a silly one - I was watching the news yesterday and on one of the cable news stations they were showing a similar chase where a guy was on a cellphone claiming he was afraid to pull over - he would stop, open his door, almost get out, get back in, driver further... repeat ad nauseum. Each time there is another unit or two tagged on to the convoy of police cars trailing the guy. That's a helluva lot of staff tied up trying to stop a guy. It sure as hell should be a little more straightforward than that.

I have to admit, in the video I saw yesterday they were very patient and understanding with the guy - The whole group of LEOs wasn't shouting at 130 dB at the guy. Sure they had guns trained on him . He was hobbling - obviously had some problem with one of his legs. They could see he was having trouble getting down to the ground so instead they told him to turn around and put his hands up behind his head. They calmly walked behind him and detained him. For whatever reason he was paranoid. And they handled it very well if you ask me. It doesn't sound like it was quite the same for the little old lady. I think the men in blue in Texas need for Chuck Norris to come in and show them how to detain little old ladies the right way.

Mike

JoeyC

Taking drug dealers, rapists, burglars, etc. off the street is an ongoing effort.
Arresting grandma in this case (and the cellphone idiot) took a few officers off other duties for a few minutes. Irrelevant to overall crime fighting statistics and imperitive to officer safety.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
JoeyC said:
Taking drug dealers, rapists, burglars, etc. off the street is an ongoing effort.
Arresting grandma in this case (and the cellphone idiot) took a few officers off other duties for a few minutes. Irrelevant to overall crime fighting statistics and imperitive to officer safety.
I'm sure it is an ongoing effort. Screw crime-fighting statistics though. They may be handy for motivation and productivity - but I think if too much emphasis is put on statistics, then you end up having overzealous polic officers. I like to think more in terms of how many people were protected from harm vs how many criminals were tossed in the can. Even if the latter is a lower # than one would like, the former is the more important.

Mike

car2back

I wonder what my supervisor would say if I didn't do anything all shift, and told him the reason why was because I didn't want to be tied up in case something major happened that really deserve police action ;) :lol:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
car2back said:
I wonder what my supervisor would say if I didn't do anything all shift, and told him the reason why was because I didn't want to be tied up in case something major happened that really deserve police action ;) :lol:
He'd probably look through the web filter logs and then come to the conclusion that the reason why was because you were spending too much time on RR :)

Mike

JoeyC

mtindor said:
I'm sure it is an ongoing effort. Screw crime-fighting statistics though. They may be handy for motivation and productivity - but I think if too much emphasis is put on statistics, then you end up having overzealous polic officers. I like to think more in terms of how many people were protected from harm vs how many criminals were tossed in the can. Even if the latter is a lower # than one would like, the former is the more important.

Mike
Huh? Everything that is done in turn translates into a statistic. So statistics are reality.

If 6 officers were tied up for 15 minutes to arrest a traffic offender then the department used 1.5 man hours to accomplish that feat. (plus more for the arresting officer to do paperwork whatever that may be). On the other hand, 1.5 man hours dedicated to taking drug dealers and burglars etc off the street is nothing. I was merely stating that it takes MANY man hours of investigative and surveillance work to accomplish the latter. The pursuit is accomplished in a fraction of the time.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"I think the men in blue in Texas need for Chuck Norris to come in and show them how to detain little old ladies the right way."

Google "find Chuck Norris".

Status
Not open for further replies.