FRN -- How Long to Receive One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is your FRN instantly issued on the FCC website, or is there some delay? I'm going in for my tests on Saturday and I don't want to file for one if it's going to take longer than that to receive.

Is there any actual advantage to getting an FRN over using your SSN for an individual applicant? I was told there was, but the explanation I received at the time wasn't very clear.

Thanks for any help!

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Is your FRN instantly issued on the FCC website, or is there some delay? I'm going in for my tests on Saturday and I don't want to file for one if it's going to take longer than that to receive.

Is there any actual advantage to getting an FRN over using your SSN for an individual applicant? I was told there was, but the explanation I received at the time wasn't very clear.

Thanks for any help!
If you don't have an FRN in advance of your testing date, you will fill out an application for one at the testing site before you take the test.

The FCC requires all licensees to have an FRN now, regardless of license type. My FRN is referenced on both my amateur license and on my GMRS license. If I were to apply for any kind of station license in my name, the same FRN would be used. Similarly, agencies that hold station licenses have FRN's. My town used to have two FRNs and two station licenses. When I began coordinating radio stuff for them, I consolidated both licenses under one FRN. It makes it much easier to work in the FCC's online systems.

IIRC, FRN's are issued immediately online when you submit the application.

k6cpo

Thanks for any help!

I don't know which VEC you'll be testing with, but mine requires you to have an FRN before you can test. We will not deal with SSNs at all...

When you register for your FRN online, the FRN is issued immediately. When people show up at out test sessions without an FRN we point them toward getting one using their phones or tablets. They usually have it within a minute or two.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber

Let me explain it this way: if a bad person steals your social security number, that person can steal your personal information, ALL your money, YOUR identity.

If that same person steals your FRN, that person has nothing. If you set it up correctly, only you will have access to the information contained in the FRN.

As an aside, some of the ancient hams in our club call it the Federal Radio Number. One ham can recite his Army serial number, all his weapon serials, his helicopter serial number and his FRN. I can barely remember where I live when I leave the house and return.;)

I've been having trouble posting here (even with multiple tries) for some reason, but if this goes, here's the update:

The FRN was issued instantaneously and I went to the test and passed Technician and General last Saturday. Waiting now for a callsign, which I was told will take 7-10 days.

Thanks!

n5acf

I've been having trouble posting here (even with multiple tries) for some reason, but if this goes, here's the update:

The FRN was issued instantaneously and I went to the test and passed Technician and General last Saturday. Waiting now for a callsign, which I was told will take 7-10 days.

Thanks!

Congratulations. Welcome to the waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.