From Analog to Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retiredmich

If my city the FD is now analog, but are to change to Digital but not sure when that change over to digital will happen. My question is this, Being the city FD is analog now, can I also program the FD to Digital TG program also & activate the program to be ready ? Will that work ?

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
If my city the FD is now analog, but are to change to Digital but not sure when that change over to digital will happen. My question is this, Being the city FD is analog now, can I also program the FD to Digital TG program also & activate the program to be ready ? Will that work ?

I am trying to decipher the message above....

If I understand you right, your FD is using an analog system right now. Your FD is planning on moving to a digital format of some type. You want to pre-program your scanner to be able to receive the FD on the new format as well as leaving the old analog stuff in place until the cut over. A few things to ponder..... You will need to know exactly what the parameters of the new system will be. Are they just changing from analog to P25 digital or are they going with a digital trunked system. Are the going to a NXDN or a Mototrbo system or format? With some of this in mind you need to determine if your current scanner will be able to receive AND decode this new format or if you need to purchase a new scanner to do this. There is not a scanner on the market that will decode EVERY format out there, so with that in mind, will it be worth purchasing a new scanner if it will not decode the new format? A lot of variables that need to be accounted for. With that being said if they are going to a format that you can receive AND you have the programming info then YES you can have both in the scanner.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Looking at the database, I see Leavenworth has talkgroups assigned on the statewide KSICS system. That's a digital (P25 Phase I) trunked system. If that is what you are referring to, then yes, you can go ahead and add those talkgroups, as well as the appropriate site (if the system was not already programmed for other agencies), to your programming now, so that you will be set for the changeover. You may find, at least initially, that both the old analog frequencies as well as the new digital trunked ID's are used at the same time, until all units get new equipment and personnel are trained.

R

retiredmich

Thanks to all for the help on my local FD question from Analog to Digital. I do have a RS PRO 106.
Have a good day !!

R

retiredmich

OK ! Now that I have my Analog & Digital programs activated for my local city FD for the future switch over, now I get a fire tone out on analog BUT no voice, is this norm?

Status
Not open for further replies.