From Baltimore to chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiotty

Hi, my friend recently moved to Chicago. When we both lived in Baltimore, we'd sometimes talk on cb, just kind of a tradition I guess. Now that he's so far away, can we still talk on radio? I guess it needs to be shortwave, but I don't know anything about it. Even looking at the books on the fcc exams I can't figure out what I would need, if we could do it whenever during the day, how expensive the stuff is, if I need some huge antenna. Any help? Is it worth looking into to or is that just too expensive for two friends who want to carry on a tradition?

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A not very hard question here. Both of you get your Technician ham license and get on to using one of the VoIP based systems such as Echolink or IRLP. Both will allow you to continue your tradition without the vagarities of having to worry about HF propagation.

These packages allow you to set up your own little station (or use a public repeater) to put yourself on the 'net - and if you set yourselves up as clients, you can talk to your heart's content....

Getting your tech is a piece of cake. Heck I know a 9 year old kid that got his General a week before I did.

best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.