From Canada to Hawaii - problems at customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

camay123

Premium Subscriber
I will soon be travelling for 2 weeks in Hawaii (Honolulu)

My fligth is from Ottawa (Canada) to Newark (New Jersey) then to Honolulu (Hawaii) and reverse for return.

Can I bring a scanner in my luggage ? Any problems with customs ?

N

N_Jay

No Problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the theater of the bizarre.

I hope you enjoyed our introductory act called "realism",
And I now invite you to stay for the continuing saga of;
"Using Scanners on Airplanes", presented in four acts.
Act one; Misunderstanding what was asked, and misreading what was answered
Act two; Stories of Getting away with it, and why it does not matter
A brief intermission will be followed by Act three; Irrational arguments,
Then please stay for the final act, entitled "Locking the Thread"

Last edited:

N8IAA

No Problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the theater of the bizarre.

I hope you enjoyed our introductory act called "realism",
And I now invite you to stay for the continuing saga of;
"Using Scanners on Airplanes", presented in four acts.
Act one; Misunderstanding what was asked, and misreading what was answered
Act two; Stories of Getting away with it, and why it does not matter
A brief intermission will be followed by Act three; Irrational arguments,
Then please stay for the final act, entitled "Locking the Thread"

Way too funny:D But, unfortunately true:(
Larry

DickH

and why does it make a difference ?

Because they may x-ray checked bags and if it's spotted it may not be in the bag when it gets to Hawaii. Don't ever put anything of value in a checked bag. (especially if it goes through Newark) :)

N

N_Jay

and why does it make a difference ?

It doesn't!

As for the potential for theft, the TSA does the x-ray so if it is stolen, it is the ordinary "guy sniffing your dirty underwear" type thief.

If you are really worried, put a wire tie on your bag, then but an extra wire tie in the bag attached to a note asking TSA to reseal the bag if inspection was required.

ecps92

You have too much time on your hands, how many others have you written ! :eek:

Some posts can be interpreted as either humorous or insulting
When not sure, always assume humorous
If you only find it insulting you have misunderstood my post or I have misunderstood your post

N0IU

If you are really worried, put a wire tie on your bag, then but an extra wire tie in the bag attached to a note asking TSA to reseal the bag if inspection was required.
Yeah, like a minimum wage federal employee is really gonna give a rodent's posterior about your carry-on bag! Don't worry N_Jay, the Easter Bunneh will be here in a few weeks!

But seriously... you can get TSA approved locks for your luggage. They have keys that will open these locks and they will (theoretically) put them back on if they do a hand search. If they want to get into your luggage, they are going to do it with or without TSA locks. You can make their job easy or you can make their job hard.

But whatever you do, DO NOT put your kids's Pla-Dough, iPod earbuds and your alarm clock together in the same bag!!!

N

N_Jay

Yeah, like a minimum wage federal employee is really gonna give a rodent's posterior about your carry-on bag! Don't worry N_Jay, the Easter Bunneh will be here in a few weeks!
I have never had a problem.

Just for fun, I put a different color tie inside than the one I use when I pack.

My cases get opened about 1/2 the time. TSA has a nice little form letter they put into tell you so.

But seriously... you can get TSA approved locks for your luggage. They have keys that will open these locks and they will (theoretically) put them back on if they do a hand search. If they want to get into your luggage, they are going to do it with or without TSA locks. You can make their job easy or you can make their job hard.
I keep meaning to get a few of those, but keep forgetting and always have wire ties available.
But whatever you do, DO NOT put your kids's Pla-Dough, iPod earbuds and your alarm clock together in the same bag!!!
Also, try to not have cans of soup and your little nephews science project in a locked suitcase when you don't know the combination. ;) (I learn from my mistakes)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just as well, the soda was flat and the popcorn stale. Love the bon-bons though, hard as rocks they make good ammunition for attacks from the balcony.

Newark, a festering sore on the butt of New Jersey with two star attractions, a maximum security prison at the north end of the airport and the Budweiser brewery across the highway from the central terminal plaza. When the wind is right, above the general stench of the area you can smell what beer being brewed really smells like, the stuff oozing from that festering sore. Oh and BTW be sure to pronounce it "newerk" (all one syllable) or they look at you funny, then get the heck out of there as quick as you can.

DickH

Just as well, the soda was flat and the popcorn stale. Love the bon-bons though, hard as rocks they make good ammunition for attacks from the balcony.

Newark, a festering sore on the butt of New Jersey with two star attractions, a maximum security prison at the north end of the airport and the Budweiser brewery across the highway from the central terminal plaza. When the wind is right, above the general stench of the area you can smell what beer being brewed really smells like, the stuff oozing from that festering sore. Oh and BTW be sure to pronounce it "newerk" (all one syllable) or they look at you funny, then get the heck out of there as quick as you can.

And try this:
You board your plane in beautiful, civilized Switzerland and de-plane in Newark with a 4-1/2 hour wait for your next flight to the west coast. You encounter mobs of passengers, attendants who barely speak English, gates numbered into the hundreds, etc., etc.
This all leads to the conclusion that if the United States needed an enema, they would insert the tube into Newark International Airport.

N0IU

And try this:
You board your plane in beautiful, civilized Switzerland...
In the summer of 2008, my wife and I flew from St. Louis to Chicago to Frankfurt, Germany to Kyiv, Ukraine to Zurich, Switzerland to Washington D.C. (Reagan) and back to St. Louis. The only airport where we lost our luggage... in beautiful, civilized Zurich, Switzerland!

N

N_Jay

Newark is not as bad as some other airports. Just don't wander outside the DMZ.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
For once I agree with N_Jay! Actually an enema isn't needed at least not in the conventional sense. Being on a man made island surrounded by a large drainage ditch in what once was part of the swamp known as the Meadowlands all you have to do is kill the pumps and it will be under several feet of water soon enough.

If you find a good spot to hang out and avoid the crowds during a layover it's not bad at all. It is a city in itself with a population of about 40,000 (working 3 shifts) with everything you may need except a comfortable place to sleep other than the hotels. I worked there for 7 years and there were times I lived there for weeks on end only going home for a few hours' sleep every 24 (I hate pulling triples) so I guess maybe I'm qualified to speak on its good points as well as the bad and that's like the commercial says, "location, location, location".

BTW Elmer Fudd would have a field day, the pwace is woaded with wabbits! If you happen to spend the night and hear shots off in the distance don't worry, it's only the PAPD affectionately known as the Pony Police having a little target practice. ('->)

kyguy

Never had no problems flying with radios, but I only take a carry on ! If I need more, then it gets boxed and overnighted (fedx) to where I'm going- lost too much checked baggage !!

And it's " neweck new joysie" :D:lol:

xjf79

Never Ever put radio equipment in your check in luggage...CARRY IT ON WITH YOU!

If you do .... dont be surprised if its GONE! when you get to your next destination.
TSA inspections happen all the time... but its not those guys you have to watch out for.

Yes they normally unlock your approved TSA locks BUT sometimes they will take a pair of side cutting pliers and snip off the lock( "damn we dont have that series # key here Oh well SNIP!") to get inside...Oh and still give you a polite note saying they've inspected your bag.

Being resealed...bahhh they dont give a rats ass if someone else gets a hold of your bag and steals the content from it So again DONT every put radio gear in your check in luggage.

questnz

Totally agree, take your radio in carry on luggage. Also you can take batteries and antenna out prior to x-ray to avoid any questions about "wired" device in your luggage. Personally I like to listen to airports chat when in transit.

Status
Not open for further replies.